2 month old V12 HT died - broken shoulder

2disbetter

This last Saturday I was riding the V12 on some farm paths near my house. Doing somewhere around 40-50 kph the wheel just turned off, locked up, and literally threw me to ground. My shoulder was broken as a result. The wheel would not turn on anymore and the wheel does not freespin at all. 

I'm at a loss for words. I trusted the wheel. I did nothing wrong. The road was smooth and void of debris. I was not exceeding the wheel's speed limits, and I had no wobbles. It was near perfect riding. 

How can I trust my EUCs to not do this same thing again? What if I was going much faster? 

Does inmotion have an obligation to me? 

Just typing this up was a struggle thanks to my shoulder and the sling that arm is in. I'm grateful I wasn't going faster and that things were not worse. Up to this point, I really liked the V12 HT. 

Any ideas on why the wheel just died? The only thing I can think of is that I accidentally left the wheel on leaning against a wall for 6-ish hours. The board was at 62 Celsius but it seemed to be fine after that. No idea why the wheel will not spin and why the wheel doesn't turn on at all. Prior to the crash I was at over 90% battery charge. 

Edited by 2disbetter
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 12

Won't spin or turn on is usually MOSFET failure, which isn't terribly uncommon but usually is induced by big power demands on the wheel and isn't just random. If one of these fail then the motor can no longer be effectively driven and you just get dropped where you are. On these wheel it's a liability you have to accept and try to mitigate with gear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Can I ask what gear you were wearing - not to criticize, but just to add the knowledgebase of what works and what lets us down...

Sure thing. I had a Pass helmet on (untouched in the accident), elbow and knee pads on, as well as alpine star motorcycle boots on. The issue was the impact to the shoulder. I literally was ejected at speed on to my shoulder. Not sure anything could have prevented the injury. Maybe if a fell differently? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2disbetter said:

Not sure anything could have prevented the injury.

Leatt Bodysuit or similar ? That is exactly the sort of injury I am hoping to avoid with mine !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chanman said:

Won't spin or turn on is usually MOSFET failure, which isn't terribly uncommon but usually is induced by big power demands on the wheel and isn't just random. If one of these fail then the motor can no longer be effectively driven and you just get dropped where you are. On these wheel it's a liability you have to accept and try to mitigate with gear.

I was not accelerating. Interesting. 

I did notice that some how my kickstand is some how lodged in the path of the wheel. This is what I think is preventing the wheel from paying on. Because the wheel is literally blocked from moving. Just a guess though. Hard to mess with when you only have our non-dominant hand to work with. 

4 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

No just the pads. So you think a body suit would have prevented the break? 

It's impossible to say alas, and as I am (so far) un-crashed in mine, I can't even add personal testimony to the proceedings ! But I would hope that it would make the difference between a break and just some bruising. The shoulder pads on the Leatt are pretty big and beefy and multi-layered, so I think they could only have helped to some degree, but it would only be speculation to guess whether they would have saved your shoulder from the break or not.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

It's impossible to say alas, and as I am (so far) un-crashed in mine, I can't even add personal testimony to the proceedings ! But I would hope that it would make the difference between a break and just some bruising. The shoulder pads on the Leatt are pretty big and beefy and multi-layered, so I think they only could have helped.

I'm ordering one immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think that is sensible. I am all skin and bone, and therefore a total wuss about things like this, and especially falls from the newer, higher EUCs. But I have to say I feel like a proper tank in that Leatt 5.5 kit. I don't honestly know if it will save me from breaks (and god knows I hope it does given the state of health services in this country right now; 19 hours for an ambulance anyone ?) but I remain fully confident that whatever falls happen to me they are going to hurt a lot less if I am wearing that.

I note Zen Lee also has the 5.5, and you may know what sort of craaaazy rider he is, and he is still up and riding ! We should ask him - I bet he has crashed in his a good many times ! In the meantime, here's a video that might help.

NOTE BEFORE YOU BUY !! Sizing does not work like other apparel - it is more based on height than anything else, so choose the size correctly according to the special chart they provide...

Edited by Cerbera

Good question sometimes when I want to try pushing my top speed, I put the Leatt under the motorcycle jacket.  Don’t ask how it fits under there. The jacket doesn’t seem oversized at all but somehow it works.  I imagine when it gets hot in the summer I’ll wear more of the Leatt

It has been so cold and the jacket is warmer.  Just riding this morning and I felt there really isn’t much shoulder padding above the collar bone. 

Edited by Josiah

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I think that is sensible. I am all skin and bone, and therefore a total wuss about things like this, and especially falls from the newer, higher EUCs. But I have to say I feel like a proper tank in that Leatt 5.5 kit. I don't honestly know if it will save me from breaks (and god knows I hope it does given the state of health services in this country right now; 19 hours for an ambulance anyone ?) but I remain fully confident that whatever falls happen to me they are going to hurt a lot less if I am wearing that.

I note Zen Lee also has the 5.5, and you may know what sort of craaaazy rider he is, and he is still up and riding ! We should ask him - I bet he has crashed in his a good many times ! In the meantime, here's a video that might help.

NOTE BEFORE YOU BUY !! Sizing does not work like other apparel - it is more based on height than anything else, so choose the size correctly according to the special chart they provide...

Thanks, I would really like to know if anyone can say if the pads really are helpful in the event of a crash. The idea that my shoulder didn't have to be broken really is getting to me. Hahahaha. 

BTW, I am beginning to suspect that my issue actually had to do with my kickstand coming undine, and getting in the path of the wheel. I don't understand how that could have happened though. The kickstand was perfectly functional. ..

• Like 1

Airbag vests stand a good chance but aren't optimal for EUC use, the algorithm based ones aren't programmed for our types of motion and the tether ones would go off too easily or too late.

I had a bit of a sideways fall directly onto my arm with a padded jacket and still suffered a minor elbow fracture. I'm not sure how much the padding really managed to do, but it certainly could have been worse.

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

Knobby. 

Well obviously none of us can diagnose what actually happened, but the knobby tire on the V11 and V12 have been known to fall in between the knobs and lock the wheel. It’s burned a few boards. 

8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

But I have to say I feel like a proper tank in that Leatt 5.5 kit.

Leatt 5.5 Body Protector's shoulder pads are only Class 1 Type A. I do prefer more protective Class 2 pads with larger Type B cover for shoulders. An air bag would be ideal.

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Compression forces on the clavicle have very little to do with the padding you wear.

Pads help to distribute forces in time. They are EN tested and classed just for this. Area distribution of force is only an additional benefit of certain type of pads.