Any thoughts on the new "Clark Pads - Concept 3 Biopads"?

Well,

I got hands on some of these new Clarkpads, but I did not try them. Actually I do not want to:

Especially for offroad riding You need perfect fitting pads, in my opinion You should consider pads consisting of more compartments.

They are really soft, even for offroad use I would like it. But instead of other pads as Grizzla, Torque, Nylonove... pads the softness does not come from the material, only from the structure. So I really doubt their longevity. You should not lay your wheel on the side or use it as crash protection.

Also, and that is my highest concern, the build quality is, compared to the prize, not acceptable. For printing they used thicker layers than any other of the competition. So they feel really cheap and selfmade.

• Like 1

Based on community feedback I added some changes to my model, if anyone interested.

Join the pads dev channel for updates, news and feedback, discussion. https://t.me/padsliberation

UPDATE: now different options distance between front and rear pad is available. For those who looking for a bit less tight fit.
Available options:

• 90mm - original tight fit
  • 100mm - +10 mm to distance between front and read, more leg room
  • 110mm - the widest option.

Special scale adjustments available to print on smaller printers (210x210mm bed size):

• scaled down 90mm - scaled down model that fits on 210x210 bed but still has original 90mm distance.
  • scaled down 100mm - same but with +10 for less tight fit.

Enjoy!

Also going to work on the request of increasing the depth for those who are looking even more lock. (can't imagine how much more someone needs :)

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, versus said:

I know Chooch is an extreme rider but neverthless the front pad separated from the base beyond repair. Maybe this is only the extreme case, but it is good to know.

yeah, judging from this I'd probably don't want to spent 230 bucks on these pads knowing they might break on me so thats a no I guess.

one thing I should've mentioned is that I don't have much experience in pawer pads, right now I'm using some slightly modified versions of the stock pads that came with the s22

IMG_20230217_155257658.jpg

I do stand with all of my previous points I made earlier in this thread regarding mr meriward's copy of the biopads however I do appreciate his willingness to respond to any negative feedback he's getting and adapting to a new design (have not looked at it yet tho).

regarding your suggestion for the horizontal split of pawer pads. I do like that, I'm a tall boi (1,94m) and having the option to move the upper pads up as much as possible seems like it would give more control especially on the s22 (38kg-wheel)

I've made something in paint to convey my feelings on the current pads I'm using : )

image.thumb.jpeg.d0cd2192392087377bba0629704a6a55.jpeg

On 3/15/2023 at 6:51 AM, meriwald said:

I recognize your offer to put me on clock and respectfully declining it. Not willing to prove anything here under pressure. Everyone is free to think what they think and I'm for sure not in the position to change it. 

For sure, it was kinda a dumb ask anyway - not really invested the debate beyond what's already been said. But hey, appreciate all the perspective you shared. It was interesting and congrats on your sales success to date. I should probably stop being so critical online anyway, lol.

Clicking on the Chooch review at the timestamp, looks like his Biopad sheared at the base. Well they did look a little thin anyway so maybe the current design does not feature enough material thickness considering the load bearing shell isn't reinforced with % infill layers like in most other power pad designs. Guess my assumptions about testing getting a higher quality product, at least in terms of durability, were wrong anyway. Your version looked structurally thicker in general at a glance along so probably less likely to result in this kind of failure. So there ya go. I'm sure Clark Pads will tweak his design to fix the issue if he hasn't already too. (Or maybe that wasn't it at all, and they just had bad layer adhesion in the print /shrug).

I really don't get all the hubub about new power pads anyway. Grizzla designer nailed it. Buy it or print it, ya really can't go wrong there.

Edited by Vanturion

On 3/15/2023 at 9:27 AM, Boris Lämpel said:

They are really soft, even for offroad use I would like it. But instead of other pads as Grizzla, Torque, Nylonove... pads the softness does not come from the material, only from the structure.

Since most everyone prints TPU 95A Shore hardness for power pads, pretty much what you said, but just to clarify some details for those not in the know - beyond material selection, the amout of give or "softness" in a printed pad comes from the combination of chosen 3D printer slicer settings: shell thickness, infill type, and infill %.

By tweaking these parameters you can make TPU 95A feel like a rock or like a wet noodle (with similar durability to boot) and anything in between.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:27 AM, Boris Lämpel said:

You should not lay your wheel on the side or use it as crash protection.

What?! No, that's silly. Good power pads double as crash protection and stand up to all kinds of abuse.

Sorry think I misread you earlier, you were saying don't lay a wheel with the biopads on it's side, got it.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 6:26 PM, meriwald said:

Hey, I'm reading the thread and value everyone's opinion. Thank you everyone for your input. 

I admire work of every creator, and when I see a great design or idea it naturally insipres me to challenge myself in modeling. All models I made were done from scratch, no scanning or redoing someone's files. I can provide all step files to prove. Some of the pads I tried first and there were things that I didn't like. For example Kai pads flex idea was amazing but only for the front. Rear pad many riders had to glue to make it usable. So I make own version with solid back. Also made variable inserts so you can change the flex in the pads without need of reprinting entire thing. (Later he repeated the same and made his version of it)

Clark pads first model originally made with TPU - is very painfull to ride. But model itself is good. So here you have that shape but you can print with tpe or softer tpu to bring comfort. 

In the flow pads I removed unnecessary overcomplication in my opinion. Like nut/screw mechanisms or mounting marks. This reduces the cost and doesn't require extra parts. Also many riders had a problem with original pad knob falling off all the time. My model addresses this problem. It's impossible to loose or break it. 

I enjoy designing things on my free time, and I challenge myself to model pads based on others idea only if they worth it. It is a big work to model pads, and I don't want to disregard anyone's jobs, but at the same time it's not that big deal. All pads are the same, plus minus look and shape varies. Sometime fresh ideas pop up. But overall it's not a rocket science. You can go very far and get tollaly lost if being very sensitive to who copy where and from what. I can add links to original files like I did with kai pads, but honestly what is the point?) Everyone knows them already.

I'm glad people can get those files and print locally, for their communities. Avoid paying unnecessary shipping fees and duties. I think creators should reconsider distribution model for 3d printing goods. Current industry is ruining the beauty of small local scale production using 3d printing technology. It is extremely inefficient and wasteful to print 2kg of plastic in Poland and ship it with FedEx to USA for example. It's harmful for environment, for riders wallets and counterlogicall.  Instead 3d printing should be licensed/outsourced through a trusted channel to a local printhubs. This way it will boost sales, make product more affordable and reduce unnecessary steps. That's the beauty of 3d printing! 

Im currently executing outsourced 3d printing for some designers of euc accessories and distributing locally, basically realizing my concept. But I tried contacting makers like Flow Pads and they are just not interested. It's an open market and if someone is not interested, the place will be taken by those who are. And we all will benefit from it. 

Let me know if you have any great ideas in terms of pads design and would like them to be modeled. It's my hobby that came along with euc riding and I we can cooperate on some unique pads etc. 

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery comes to mind. Using a design as a template and improving upon and making available for community🤔 want to support original maker. Go for it. Want to print your own that’s an option too. Keep improving upon designs. Competition is a good thing in my book.