Any thoughts on the new "Clark Pads - Concept 3 Biopads"?

hello, I'm looking for people who have bought the new "Clark Pads - Concept 3 Biopads". I've seen 2 reviews on youtube but they don't seem to be to extensive, and I would like a little more in depth information before spending the money on them.

Also please keep in mind that I will use these powerpads for aggressive off-road riding, (stuff like mbt-trails, jumps/drops)

for example,

-how well do they stick/stay on the electric unicycle (do they come off after big impacts?) (also after cutting/splitting them to separate them).

-how good do they grip on the legs/ankles?,

-Do they provide good support for aggressive riding?, they seem to flex a little, does this influence the responsiveness for aggressive off/road riding?

-build quality, are they made to last?

-overall feel of the powerpads.

link to site in case you are curious to these powerpads;

https://clarkpads.com/collections/pads/products/clark-pads-concept-3-biopads

thanks in advance :)

(also if you think this topic belongs in a other part of the forum, feel free to correct me)

c3image_1080x.png?v=1675839749

• Like 3

Haha. I opened the forums to post the same question. Imagine my perplexity when I've seen yours.

Actually I've already ordered them but something went wrong with the payment so I cooled off a bit and decided to research. It amounted to 232 € with shipping to Europe (can they be bought in Europe?), so I really wanted to be sure that they are good. Moreover I recently bought Grizzla Flow. They are kind of good also but I wanted something that I dont have to shift my leg tiny bits here and there to achieve ideal position. What i like about these is that they are not split and might be easier to setup if default gap is ok. Also, with VC, looks like toes, shin and calf are locked in so less fiddling with foot position once in place. 

Edited by versus
  • Like 1

oh I apologize, I should've looked more into the forums before posting, (my excuse is I'm new to this type of forum stuff : p) 

yeah 232€ is alot, unfortunately I don't think you can get them sent from within europe

the thing about these pads is I'm pretty sure if they still have to much space for your legs, right out of the box. that they would be more easy to cut and adjust to your legs :)(compared to other brands)

the thing is there doesn't seem to be a massive amount of choice regarding pawerpads, especially for off-road type of stuff but I still want to make sure to make the best decision when spending so much in these dark and grimm times : /

https://cults3d.com/en/creations/c-pads-lambo-squeeze-euc-powerpads

Try printing yourself.

They are good for offroading and racing, where you need sharp control available at any moment. For regular commute or cruise I don't recommend these pads. (So as the author)

Edited by meriwald
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, meriwald said:

Try printing yourself.

They are good for offroading and racing, where you need sharp control available at any moment. For regular commute or cruise I don't recommend these pads. (So as the author)

you sir are a THIEF, You copied grizzla pads designs, calling them Jrizzla pads, made 2k$ out of it and now looking to reproduce this with Clarkpads? This is shameful and such practices should be called out.

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, meriwald said:

Try printing yourself.

looks like a pretty obvious copy of the original, so that's a nono. I'd rather support the original maker even if it means spending more, so he has more recourses to create even better pads...  also the originals by clarkpads are very likely to be of higher quality.

• Like 1

I understand that a lot of the power pads are similar to the originals but this seems like its on a other level to me, also a lot of those are different enough to make a point that the creator put enough effort to put them out, but those from the link of mr meriwald are a blatant copy so yeah /

This is an interesting discussion.

On one hand anything designed and 3D-printed for sale is at risk of being copied by another designer and sold as long as they are not directly reverse engineering by taking measurements of the original product, violating design patents, or trying to market their product as the original design. At least that's my understanding (not a lawyer).

With any fairly easily reproducible 3D-printed designs/products, I think that's just the nature of this kind thing - the original product designers/marketers are going to lose potential sales to the people who can print their own pads and such, and ultimatley get vastly undercut on the prices of their finished product(s) when charging a premium.

Back in Nov of 2021, I was weighing my own power pad options and after researching what design features I thought would work best for me, just ended up making my Grizzla-inspired design instead of paying the finished good premium and overseas shipping costs. Much later I thought I'd try and make a few bucks on the design for 3D-printing enthusiasts, but I found out I was handily beaten to the punch.

In any case, I'm sure the vast majority of marketshare goes to those selling the original finished/printed designs; however, I do agree that it's not necessarily ethical to make a business plan out of copying multiple iterations of the best/latest power pad designs on the market. At least they sell though, my original SHAD design that I spent way too much time on was clearly a market failure!

PS - I am at least glad my lack of success in making sales has allowed me to largely escape public persecution in this thread for now ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Vanturion said:

This is an interesting discussion.

On one hand anything designed and 3D-printed for sale is at risk of being copied by another designer and sold as long as they are not directly reverse engineering by taking measurements of the original product, violating design patents, or trying to market their product as the original design. At least that's my understanding (not a lawyer).

With any fairly easily reproducible 3D-printed designs/products, I think that's just the nature of this kind thing - the original product designers/marketers are going to lose potential sales to the people who can print their own pads and such, and ultimatley get vastly undercut on the prices of their finished product(s) when charging a premium.

Back in Nov of 2021, I was weighing my own power pad options and after researching what design features I thought would work best for me, just ended up making my Grizzla-inspired design instead of paying the finished good premium and overseas shipping costs. Much later I thought I'd try and make a few bucks on the design for 3D-printing enthusiasts, but I found out I was handily beaten to the punch.

In any case, I'm sure the vast majority of marketshare goes to those selling the original finished/printed designs; however, I do agree that it's not necessarily ethical to make a business plan out of copying multiple iterations of the best/latest power pad designs on the market. At least they sell though, my original SHAD design that I spent way too much time on was clearly a market failure!

PS - I am at least glad my lack of success in making sales has allowed me to largely escape public persecution in this thread for now ;)

I'd completely agree with your points,

I feel like making something similar based of a existing design and putting it out is ok since you put in the time, especially on the older grizzla pad designs. Those are pretty simple and universal designs to begin with so if grizzla didn't make them first somebody else would make at least something very similar.

however I also feel like there is a certain threshold to be crossed where it becomes stealing a idea like with how the biopads c3 got copied here.

these pads are a more complex and the original creator obviously put in a lot of time designing these specifically, it would be ok if mr meriwald put in some more time making changes so it would be based off the original design and not a straight-up copy.

Naamloos123456.png

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Ruben De Waele said:

however I also feel like there is a certain threshold to be crossed where it becomes stealing a idea like with how the biopads c3 got copied here.

these pads are a more complex and the original creator obviously put in a lot of time designing these specifically, it would be ok if mr meriwald put in some more time making changes so it would be based off the original design and not a straight-up copy.

Agreeing with what you said too. While not illegal, it's definitely an unscrupulous kind of thing to make a habit out of copying designs in this way. It's also fair game to call it out too publicly and react negatively. I guarentee no one is less appreciative of the practice than the original designer.

One thing I can say looking these screenshots is the quality of Chris's designs is obviously better, and not just the nice aesthetics of printing in multiple colors. You can tell just by looking at the thicknesses that make up the functional contours of the pad and control behavior/flex of along the pads that the Clark Pads probably went through multiple iterations and tests to tweak things to achieve the best compromise between performance/comfort/printability. This is something that would be harder to replicate exactly without having the product on hand to reverse engineer (measurements). It doesn't look like @meriwald even printed his version for use - or if he did, did not advertise with real life pictures as the ad only features renders. So that is a little telling of the situation too.

As things currently stand, I would agree too that customers will be getting an objectively superior product purchasing the Clark Pads if they are interested in this type of power pad. Not to mention, printing large things in TPU can be challenging on its own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey, I'm reading the thread and value everyone's opinion. Thank you everyone for your input. 

I admire work of every creator, and when I see a great design or idea it naturally insipres me to challenge myself in modeling. All models I made were done from scratch, no scanning or redoing someone's files. I can provide all step files to prove. Some of the pads I tried first and there were things that I didn't like. For example Kai pads flex idea was amazing but only for the front. Rear pad many riders had to glue to make it usable. So I make own version with solid back. Also made variable inserts so you can change the flex in the pads without need of reprinting entire thing. (Later he repeated the same and made his version of it)

Clark pads first model originally made with TPU - is very painfull to ride. But model itself is good. So here you have that shape but you can print with tpe or softer tpu to bring comfort. 

In the flow pads I removed unnecessary overcomplication in my opinion. Like nut/screw mechanisms or mounting marks. This reduces the cost and doesn't require extra parts. Also many riders had a problem with original pad knob falling off all the time. My model addresses this problem. It's impossible to loose or break it. 

I enjoy designing things on my free time, and I challenge myself to model pads based on others idea only if they worth it. It is a big work to model pads, and I don't want to disregard anyone's jobs, but at the same time it's not that big deal. All pads are the same, plus minus look and shape varies. Sometime fresh ideas pop up. But overall it's not a rocket science. You can go very far and get tollaly lost if being very sensitive to who copy where and from what. I can add links to original files like I did with kai pads, but honestly what is the point?) Everyone knows them already.

I'm glad people can get those files and print locally, for their communities. Avoid paying unnecessary shipping fees and duties. I think creators should reconsider distribution model for 3d printing goods. Current industry is ruining the beauty of small local scale production using 3d printing technology. It is extremely inefficient and wasteful to print 2kg of plastic in Poland and ship it with FedEx to USA for example. It's harmful for environment, for riders wallets and counterlogicall.  Instead 3d printing should be licensed/outsourced through a trusted channel to a local printhubs. This way it will boost sales, make product more affordable and reduce unnecessary steps. That's the beauty of 3d printing! 

Im currently executing outsourced 3d printing for some designers of euc accessories and distributing locally, basically realizing my concept. But I tried contacting makers like Flow Pads and they are just not interested. It's an open market and if someone is not interested, the place will be taken by those who are. And we all will benefit from it. 

Let me know if you have any great ideas in terms of pads design and would like them to be modeled. It's my hobby that came along with euc riding and I we can cooperate on some unique pads etc. 

Edited by meriwald
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vanturion said:

Agreeing with what you said too. While not illegal, it's definitely an unscrupulous kind of thing to make a habit out of copying designs in this way. It's also fair game to call it out too publicly and react negatively. I guarentee no one is less appreciative of the practice than the original designer.

One thing I can say looking these screenshots is the quality of Chris's designs is obviously better, and not just the nice aesthetics of printing in multiple colors. You can tell just by looking at the thicknesses that make up the functional contours of the pad and control behavior/flex of along the pads that the Clark Pads probably went through multiple iterations and tests to tweak things to achieve the best compromise between performance/comfort/printability. This is something that would be harder to replicate exactly without having the product on hand to reverse engineer (measurements). It doesn't look like @meriwald even printed his version for use - or if he did, did not advertise with real life pictures as the ad only features renders. So that is a little telling of the situation too.

As things currently stand, I would agree too that customers will be getting an objectively superior product purchasing the Clark Pads if they are interested in this type of power pad. Not to mention, printing large things in TPU can be challenging on its own.

I print and test my models. They are good, I like all of them. If you having any challenges with printing I'm glad to help. Many people are texting me and I'm always ready to share my knowledge in 3d printing. Sometimes looking for a solution remotely and fixing it for someone makes you learn something new. 

Charging $30 for a model (not a product, a model) that is a direct copy of an established product that you yourself did not create is basically theft yeah. 

There's multiple models of pads that are public and free and have been available for years. For anyone thinking of paying for the "jrizzla pads" model, i'd recommend this one instead for free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5137540

Edited by chanman
  • Upvote 1

@Ronin Ryder @Vanturion

Personal attacks and name calling is a very common on the internet. I'm sorry for your need to do this. I hope we can be better and be above that in the future. 

Its generally not a good practice to count someone else money, for example claiming that certain amount that was paid to the person you don't know and never spoke to is too much for that person, is only leading to own underestimation. By saying that you basically admit that that amount worth more than self. Don't let any amounts paid to anyone except you control your actions or words. 

One more  point I would like to bring. Assumsion that posting files on 3d print marketplace can be someone's business plan is an apple from the same tree as above. Think broader, get inspired by things that surround you, spread love and respect. If anyone ask me to invest into such a business plan I can allocate a bit less than 0 for that.

10 minutes ago, chanman said:

Charging $30 for a model (not a product, a model) that is a direct copy of an established product that you yourself did not create is basically theft yeah. 

There's multiple models of pads that are public and free and have been available for years. For anyone thinking of paying for the "jrizzla pads" model, i'd recommend this one instead for free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5137540

Appreciate your opinion, thank you for bringing it to the table. 

Yeah that's a good model. Many of my friends have it. 👍 

Edited by meriwald

On 3/13/2023 at 4:19 PM, supercurio said:

@Ronin Ryder he's even implying that he's selling the design of the original ones with the wording used, making no mention that printing his attempted clone will not give the original product at all.

Hello @supercurio, I'm glad you joined this discussion. I think 3D printing is a very important topic for euc community and it has a big future. Your opinion as a core and trusted member of the forum is highly valued. I'm sorry the description of my listing on Cults3D didn't meet your expectations. I had no intention to  mislead.  I'll consider your feedback and will try to improve in the in the future.

1 hour ago, meriwald said:

Personal attacks and name calling is a very common on the internet. I'm sorry for your need to do this

Inaccurate. Never used a personal attack, in fact I'd consider my stance leaning more toward the neutral position in my statements above. Unless you consider being labeled with the adjective unscrupulous an attack, but I don't see it that way, more a statement of fact.

I did make an assumption, however, about your latest ad/design here being indicative of more of a business venture, than say, an inspired passion project seeking to improve where you saw this Clark Pad design may be deficient as you charaterize above with other designs.

I print and test my models. They are good, I like all of them.

I can retract my assumption no problem if you want to post pictures as proof of the interim models you printed and tested in your design iteration process, or at least the finished product in the next 12 hours since your ad didn't include them. Doing this may asuage some of the negative sentiment lingering about your venture being just about the money made from copying designs as well. Then again, maybe not and I don't feel like what I said is an inaccurate assessment of the situation regardless. Besides, it's not like I'm completely innocent here as I said earlier with making my own version of power pad being inspired by Grizzla. People are free to judge accordingly.

Moving on

Avoid paying unnecessary shipping fees and duties. I think creators should reconsider distribution model for 3d printing goods. Current industry is ruining the beauty of small local scale production using 3d printing technology. It is extremely inefficient and wasteful to print 2kg of plastic in Poland and ship it with FedEx to USA for example. It's harmful for environment, for riders wallets and counterlogical...

etc

It's a lot of flowery words and sentiment, but at the end of the day selling DIY 3D-printed designs is simply serving another market at a much cheaper price point for those who can print. We don't need to make it into some kind of altruistic endeavor like we're saving the environment here. If it was really only about altruism, all of your designs (and mine) would be free :P.

Edited by Vanturion

Hello @supercurio, I'm glad you joined this discussion. I think 3D printing is a very important topic for euc community and it has a big future. Your opinion as a core and trusted member of the forum is highly valued. I'm sorry the description of my listing on Cults3D didn't meet your expectations. I had no intention to  mislead.  I'll consider your feedback and will try to improve in the in the future.

Hey @meriwald, I appreciate the follow-up. So I have something for you inspired by from my background in product research and as strategist.

You'll see that especially with this last release, the limits of the current approach which consists in making knockoffs of existing product are now reached. While it surely helped your growth in the beginning by tapping into the opportunity to sell models to people who want something "like" a popular product now instead:

• If this gets too popular you'll get hate from the community, it's not healthy to become a target
  • If it growth continues, Grizzla / Kinetic / Clark creators will unite and shut your business down, with a strong case against you towards any hosting platforms, potentially getting you banned for a long time and harming future opportunities
  • It restricts your own creative and engineering capabilities
  • It prevents to make designs which are optimized for home & hobby 3D printing

Essentially, you can make a little money short term and make some customers happy that got like a replica for cheap, but medium term it becomes problematic. Worse, it is not scalable so in essence it's kind of a waste of time - being crippled in growth and reach.

I fully agree that some of the leading pads are not that great, and very expensive. Fortunately there is competition and innovation, but with a problematic creep up in price.
I got in 3D printing myself to design and print my own, so I can relate to your story. I'm on the same boat as you on the waste and inefficiencies as well.
In my TODO list there's making an top-notch customizable of power pads, also fully open source, leveraging the user-configurable parameters of OnShape - all for the same reasons you described. My TODO list is a bit long tho so.. maybe one day.

Now if you see what I mean on the ceiling reached with the current approach of selling knock-off, here's the alternative I believe would work as next steps

1. You accumulated a very significant amount of experience by studying and remodeling each of the popular pads designs. You're probably the only person out here having done that, having this experience and knowledge.
  2. Now you can leverage that to make your own pads design. Sure it will be inspired as anything is but you can make it original - drawing from all the best characteristics of what you studied. And while doing that and testing you'll probably find more.
  3. By fully owning this / these new designs you'll be free to market, promote them in any way you want. Either open source or licensed. Either providing STL only or partnering with small or big 3D printer farms around the globe. No limit here beside universal product and entrepreneurial principles.

Think about it like the transition from Napster to Spotify. Or old YouTube full of unlicensed content to YouTube today, the home for original content.

Maybe you've been thinking about doing that all along. My question then: when?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

In my TODO list there's making an top-notch customizable of power pads, also fully open source, leveraging the user-configurable parameters of OnShape - all for the same reasons you described. My TODO list is a bit long tho so.. maybe one day.

That's an amazing plan. Will require lots of work. I had my very first simple model pads fully parametric, with all parameters easy adjustable by simple input. I concluded that was unnecessary difficult. But making the big project like that is a good idea. The problem is people/riders often don't know what they like, or what shape is better for them. So they need to be told what to use. But I'm sure some people will enjoy having a feeling of fully customized and personally fine tuned set of pads. 

Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas. I like what you suggesting. It's a good way of developing with this. I doubt I'll be interested in doing this as a business, the market is too small and margins are low. I enjoy modeling as a relax and concentration at the same time. When you turn hobby into work and tie yourself with obligations, fun goes away.

But maybe when you find time and inspiration to work on your idea, I can help you. If the plan is open source, I'll be glad to make a contribution.

The paradox I see is that people don't buy what is better, they buy what is advertised and promoted. Even if other products are better, majority will prefer a known brand with high value, rather than more convenient product but with not recognisable look. Now see, those people are a target market for all these expensive pads. They won't spoil their reputation sticking alike copies on their wheels, only original. And then we have folks who won't buy these pads because they know it's overpriced, they can't justify a price, don't see value in it. They go on amazon, see how much a roll of TPU costs and just can't swallow that deal. They are not their target market. They text me "thank you, I would never buy those but now I can have an alternative."

Gucci itself were making fake copies to cover all markets. To profit from rich and proud, from poor, from smart, dumb, all markets covered. Napster was not a piracy, it was a convenience brought into market by yong generation in a result of slow and unresponsive music industry not being able to be on top of the technology. People were willing to pay for it but couldn't. Same here, people want to pay for a file and print themselves. I tried to pay for a file and print for myself, it was denied.

I liked your analysis on the future threats. I can't care less. I learned about kinetic from your point. I didn't know about this brand. I was always making fun of the useless need to fold pedals flat with the wheel.body. but now I see who makes them. is it really that necessary so there are cutouts on the pedal and cutouts on the pads:))) this is so funny. What happens if regular pedals fold and stop at the pads? 🙂 You see - their pads are safe from my modeling exercises 😁

There is no united worldwide ratings for pads, where votes can't be counted securely. Instead of that we have sposoring (legalized bribing) going on. With this constant rush for a new design every year, none of the pads are staying on the market too long. I had a conversation long time ago with an author of kai pads, I told him everyone is excited and in love now. It's a wave of hype, but in half a year everyone will forget about them. There will be a new toy, new color. New blogger will jump with different model and crowd will follow. Is kai pads worse than flow pads? I don't think so, kai pads are more comfortable, weight less and print faster, uses less material. They have single base and more securely mount to the wheel. Despite that flow pads are more popular because of vloggind. Not because of function or convenience. 

Mostly pads business is not about making pads. That's a simple part everyone who spent few weekend on YouTube lessons can do. This business is about building connection with influencers and pushing product into the market. I'm not jelous for business whose sales depends on some youbers and would never want to put myself in such a position.

Maybe I'll put up some unique design pads. But it's not a goal and very unlikely to happen. With this market trends there is no value and appreciation in making a thoutfull product knowing what it will be forgotten after a season. Soon pads rush will reach a scale where makers will be dumping same product over and over with minimal changes or "new colors" like it happened with even greatest innovators in past like Apple, with their today's countless same every year iPhones with different color backcover.

Also talking about pads I would like to mention a father of all euc pads, Kuji Rolls from YouTube. He was the first one to have a cut/reshaped yoga bricks glued to the wheel. At least that's the first time I encountered such a thing as euc pads. I was impressed how he was riding and jumping wheel on the race in France, and how his wheel control is on the next level. Very next day I run to supply shop and got foam mats, glue and double side tape. Made lots of screenshots from Kuji video and started figuring out what is going on. Build my first pads, they were so good. Soft and nice, excellent grip and control. So you see I have a long story with pads design 😁 this thread is slowly turning into our livejournal.

Inaccurate. Never used a personal attack

Personal attacks point was only addressed towards the other guy who I tagged. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a very experienced forum user.

I recognize your offer to put me on clock and respectfully declining it. Not willing to prove anything here under pressure. Everyone is free to think what they think and I'm for sure not in the position to change it. 

making my own version of power pad being inspired by Grizzla. People are free to judge accordingly.

Probably won't be a surprise hearing from me but I can't  see any reason to judge. If you tried your own modelling, that's beautiful. 

selling DIY 3D-printed designs is simply serving another market at a much cheaper price point for those who can print

Exactly what I said in a big comment before. It's a different market who was not going to buy orignal pads anyways. 

On 3/8/2023 at 5:32 AM, Ruben De Waele said:

Also please keep in mind that I will use these powerpads for aggressive off-road riding, (stuff like mbt-trails, jumps/drops)

I'm a big fan of hardcore offroading. Not just some trail riding but rocks, mud, brims, jumps, drops, downhills, uphills, logs. Basically we are in the same interest based on what you said. 

My advice is look into split pads l. But horizontal split pads. Where bottom is made out of semi hard material for best control and energy transfer when you picking up the wheel. And soft part on top that would go wide ontnhe wheel and serve few functions: make you ride comfortable, give control on braking and pushing, protect corgers from damages.

This horizontal split is making sure the wheel is not going anywhere because it's tight on the bottom but at the same time you have a lot of freedom on the top, for squads, knee movements and everything needed to takle the most challenging obstacles 

See my set up on rs/msp. I can share these cobra head files for free if you like. Top you make by yourself it's very simple, foam floor mat cut and stacked together. Glue.and leather on top. 

meriwald-15-03-2023-0001.jpg

Edited by meriwald