Newcomer hello, a few 18XL queries

ninogui

Hi all
My first post, writing from Lisbon south side (yes the bay area bridge smaller clone).

ignoring counting others in electrical terms I have an E-twow booster (8 y old and the sag is creeping in but runs to 29/30 kmh in good weather) and a couple Engwe 20" 750w/1000 peak fat bikes.
I guess it´s 

• Like 1

Sorry, pressed Enter incidentally...

As I was saying I guess it´s time to consider unys.

Back here (seaside mostly - see sample gmaps below) roads are mostly flat other than the odd 20/25% ramp, a 25/28% 800 mts road hill and a couple 500 mts 30% at most. Portuguese road rules state any >20% climb must be signaled and I don´t see that often here. There´s some sand paths closer to the beach side but as said it´s mostly tarmac - not so greatly maintained but not terrible either, there´s uneven and some (not) deep holes in about 10/15% of the paths. In the Lisbon side of the river margin there´s many hills, but most within the 20/25% margin. I weight 78-80kg/1,81mt and I´d like to ride at least 70/80km per charge.

I Have to go upstairs 2nd floor many times during the day with no elev - taking up an Engwe bike weighting 32kg (battery 4kg out), adding the cumbersome format and the obvious impossibility of carting up is a total pain. Maybe that´s why I don´t ride them so often anymore - in fact it´s a double set (wife get one), one black and an orange. So this is a variable to consider - yes I know I will try to cart the uny pushing up the stairs but success is not guaranteed. If this wasn´t an issue maybe I could pursue a more up to date newer model or brand at >30kg.

My budget is around give or take 2K€ (EU only) including if possible couple addons like 2nd charger/high rate charger, in this case the large pedals and eventually pads or a cover.

Considering the 18XL is a bit long in the tooth let me ask,

- My area roads profile is adequate for the 80xl ?

- How can I check (with or without) a dealer the batch and/or build number or date ?

- If it comes with the white inners it means it will be, at tops, as old as... y ?

- If you apply a "sleeve" cover protector you can´t apply pads on top, or (non destructively) can you ?

- Can anyone say what´s the large pedals ground clearance (+- fully inflated) and if they clear ground better or worse than the small ones ?

- What else would you recommend for me to look for when buying the 18XL ?

Many thanks!

Greetings, Nuno

ramp1.PNG

ramp2.PNG

• Like 1

I love my 18xl.  It is a well seasoned reliable wheel.  It has served me well but has now taken a back seat to faster wheels.  The pedal clearance is good as long as you don't take tight turns.  I have scraped pedals on a track but never while riding normally.   The design may be dated but it has proven itself a reliable wheel.  If you stay below 30mph it will handle your inclines without a problem.  You will not find a wheel in this weight class with the range and comfort of the 18xl.  If you go heavier there are more options including range, speed or suspension.    I have put pads on  the wheel directly.  I have not tried the cover so I can't comment.  I use two standard chargers to charge at home and a fast charger on group rides. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Heya! :)

Instead of "cover" you could use two-sided tape and some yoga/door mat. Takes some time cutting out the forms and making the puzzle go together. But end work is worth it. Also cheaper.. My wheel at the moment is covered with yoga mat. But soon it will have that "fuzzy" door mat surface all over the wheel. :D (Cleaning plastic surface with rubbing alcohol will make the tape stick better.)

I weight 125kg and i got about 65km range riding on flats roads at around 30-35km/h speed. (More brakes and starts from standstill, will consume more battery than riding without stops. Keeping it at steady speed. Quick accelerations and such eats the battery most.) 55km range without speed limiting from wheel. (Don't forget as the battery gets more empty - it will lose max speed. And you will be limited... Also it's kinda dangerous to ride low battery. Why? - Because wheel has less power.. Duh - you may even crash, have a cutout.

2200w motor (old was 2000w). And white inner shell (Old was black.) If it has the "big" pedals, it should be one of the newests wheels - i figure..

What speeds do you want to go? It will impact overall range.

Pedal clearance is the same big/small.. While riding straight. Only way to get higher clearance is by buying aftermarket pedals. Like my hextech pedals, which include shorter "L" brackets, they added ~2Cm ground clearance for my 18xl.

As for road conditions - idk what surface and conditions your roads have.. For some big holes are small holes, etc.. You only can tell it. 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Hi thks for replying

I´m at 80kg. Watched most (if not all lol) YT videos on the 18xl. Seems the French YT channel guy (a brave guy!) that crossed half world in one was able to climb up to 200 mts slope (10-15% I guess?) before running out of battery - not really overheat/overcurrent), so maybe my worries are somewhat unfounded - although this is a warm country, every time sun is out (most of the year) it warms up... and can go 30-45ºc within most of the summer months.

I wonder (starting from firmware 1.x) if the fan profile was at all changed - higher revs when on, or on earlier) ?

Has anyone drilled a few small holes + tight grid for exhausting warm air out (not in) ?

greetings

I use my xl to commute to work, and have a 400 m climb to get there, no problems, just that be your last kingsong purchase as the ks22 sucks big time, ks had suckered us in buying thier crappy wheel, nothing but problem from the start... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I bought my 18XL exactly a year ago, also wondering if it was worth buying an old design. People also just kept saying: yes it's older but it's still very reliable and comfortable. I've been super happy with it. Sometimes I wish I had a bit more and I tried a Veteran Sherman for a week, and although I love having more power and battery capacity, it's also a pain to take into a bar or shop. The 18XL is still one of the best options (and maybe the best) in its weight class, so it seems. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sidderke said:

I bought my 18XL exactly a year ago, also wondering if it was worth buying an old design. People also just kept saying: yes it's older but it's still very reliable and comfortable. I've been super happy with it. Sometimes I wish I had a bit more and I tried a Veteran Sherman for a week, and although I love having more power and battery capacity, it's also a pain to take into a bar or shop. The 18XL is still one of the best options (and maybe the best) in its weight class, so it seems. 

If it had real 3" tire. It would be hands down one of best weight to power wheel. Range also is amazing for 25kg wheel.

I have no plans for upgrading to bigger wheel anytime soon. Because my 18xl does everything i need. :D 

And as manufacturers don't make "good" wheels anymore.. It seems i will be sticking to this one for good amount of time. (Good - as in lighter weight class wheels.. 16" and 30+kg doesn't interest me at all.)

• Like 2