Lightweight Riders - Any Tips?

NewB

I weigh all of 125 pounds after a good meal and find my wheel (an S18) is somewhat sluggish. I find I have to ride it pretty aggressively to get it to accelerate and slow down within a reasonable time and distance. To get moving, I find I have to hang my toes over the front and adjust once I get going or have one foot far forward and the other with my ankle over the axle (just in case I have to stop soon). Going uphill from a stop (even something very mild) is almost impossible.

It is my first wheel and I consider myself a newbie, so don't tell me to get a SuperDuperFastWheel 2000 (just in case you are going to tell me to get a faster, bigger, beefier wheel) or a Tinywheel Extreme. I have what I have and i am not interested in selling it.

I was wondering if there are any tips for lighter riders - maybe something in one of the apps that will make it more responsive.

Yep. I'm in your same weight class and we get to ride more forward on the pedals. That's pretty easy, and you've figured it out.

The other way to improve leverage is adding side pads as @Paul A mentioned, but on the S18 your choices are limited because of its sexy curves. I have the oh-so-comfy but not very useful Russian pads on my S18 and when I need to goose it, I have to (gasp) clench the wheel.

I think Clark Pads made some specifically for S18, and if you search on Ali there are other options. Meantime, chuckle under your breath that you get 20-30% more range than the normies.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

It's not ideal, but in the absence of power pads you can grip the shell with your knees, then bend them AND lean forward to force the body of the wheel forward up hills. Occasionally I see people literally reaching down and grabbing the handle or pushing down on the front end to input more forward force.

Power pads will make the most difference however, if you can find ones that fit.

Edited by Cerbera

40 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Have you try centering your feet on the pedals, and stand on your toes and lean forward to accelerate?

To free mount, have you tried crouching forward over the wheel as you climb on with the other foot on the ground? 

Yep, but if I center my feet on the pedals, I really have to lean forward! I will try the crouching forward trick. It may give me enough oomph to get going when I am not on level ground.

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

It's not ideal, but in the absence of power pads you can grip the shell with your knees, then bend them AND lean forward to force the body of the wheel forward up hills.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have to do. I haven't been riding very long and figured pads may be overkill, but that may be the best solution.

I never needed pads 'til I got the Master, which, at 45 KG is only 10 KG lighter than I am. But now I have Grizzlas all that struggle is firmly in the past, and I take great delight now in whizzing up the 30 degree slopes that used to frustrate me before...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Yep. I'm in your same weight class and we get to ride more forward on the pedals. That's pretty easy, and you've figured it out.

The other way to improve leverage is adding side pads as @Paul A mentioned, but on the S18 your choices are limited because of its sexy curves. I have the oh-so-comfy but not very useful Russian pads on my S18 and when I need to goose it, I have to (gasp) clench the wheel.

I think Clark Pads made some specifically for S18, and if you search on Ali there are other options. Meantime, chuckle under your breath that you get 20-30% more range than the normies.

I was thinking I do not have the experience required for pads, but I am starting to think differently. I have resorted to gripping the wheel to get it to speed up, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I am going to look into some pads...

10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I never needed pads 'til I got the Master, which, at 45 KG is only 10 KG lighter than I am.

You are only 55 kg. No wonder you said in an earlier post that the V13 is a heavier wheel. 

The V13 has been reported to weigh about 120 lbs., which is roughly your body weight.

You have a valid point.

• Haha 1

Power pads are the obvious approach. If it turns out that they don't work for you, maybe a T4 ("16" incher with suspension) or V12 ("16" incher without suspension) would be more fun to ride for you? Nothing beats a smaller tire diameter (S18 is "18" inches) if you want the wheel to react faster. [Numbers in quotes because they aren't actually that in reality, but smaller is smaller anyways.]

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

More Macdonald's?

I wish it made any difference ! Alas I am an ectomorph to the max (or should I say minimum), a child of 2 independently very thin parents, and if I turn sideways, people can't see me :)

Much to the annoyance of girls everywhere, I can eat literally whatever, and however much of anything I like, and just WILL NOT ever go over 9 stone. And if I was gonna get helpful middle-age spread that definitely would have happened by now !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I wish it made any difference ! Alas I am an ectomorph to the max (or should I say minimum), a child of 2 independently very thin parents, and if I turn sideways, people can't see me :)

Much to the annoyance of girls everywhere, I can eat literally whatever, and however much of anything I like, and just WILL NOT ever go over 9 stone. And if I was gonna get helpful middle-age spread that definitely would have happened by now !

Yeah, I'm 58. I think I am done growing.

56 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Wheeling... lack of mass is an advantage.

Lol, except in high wind :)  Way down low on my old MS3 riding in mad winds was challenging and fun. A foot higher on the Master, the wind can win far too easily for my liking, especially when it swipes me from the side... I could do with bit more mass in those moments !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

More Macdonald's?

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2022/5/man-celebrates-50-years-of-eating-a-big-mac-every-day-704354 day

Man celebrates 50 years of eating a Big Mac every day.

Donald Gorske (USA) is the ultimate Big Mac® fan.

More often than not, he actually eats two Big Macs a day. 

In August 2021, we celebrated Donald’s updated record for the most Big Mac® burgers eaten in a lifetime with a new official total of 32,340 Big Macs.

Yesterday, 17 May 2022, marked the 50-year anniversary of him eating the McDonald’s burger almost daily (missing only eight days over the last half-century). 

Donald and his local McDonald’s have a very special relationship – he even has his portrait hung on the wall. 

Donald-Gorske-with-portrait-of-him_tcm25

• Haha 1