Sherman S or Motorcycle

21 hours ago, Alton Dillon said:

Facts, I tried a fully modded 72V Surron today and it was a blast, but I felt like having a clutch and shifting would make the experience more fun.  Additionally, I think the jump from an S22 to the Sherman S wouldn't be as great as a motorcycle.  For now, I think I will proceed with getting a motorcycle endorsement on my license and save up for the bike, and maybe consider selling my S22 later down the line for a Sherman S.

This reminds me of something, after having two motorcycles and really only using them for city commuting I realized that a regular gas powered scooter would be a whole lot better. The reason being is that you get some weather protection on those, you get places to carry a bag or two of groceries, they are generally much less consuming of fuel and you don't need to be bothered with shifting. And it's not that shifting bothers me, I just realized that it is a waste of time and energy if you could not care less about cool points and just want to get between two points in the most rational manner possible. (I have decades of manual shifting on larger vehicles under my belt, so the issue is in no way shifting)

I came extremely close to buying a brand new scooter back in 2019, I was sitting down at the dealership getting ready to sign off on a Burgman... Thank the gods I held off because I immediately discovered EUC's after that.

55 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

This reminds me of something, after having two motorcycles and really only using them for city commuting I realized that a regular gas powered scooter would be a whole lot better. The reason being is that you get some weather protection on those, you get places to carry a bag or two of groceries, they are generally much less consuming of fuel and you don't need to be bothered with shifting. And it's not that shifting bothers me, I just realized that it is a waste of time and energy if you could not care less about cool points and just want to get between two points in the most rational manner possible. (I have decades of manual shifting on larger vehicles under my belt, so the issue is in no way shifting)

I came extremely close to buying a brand new scooter back in 2019, I was sitting down at the dealership getting ready to sign off on a Burgman... Thank the gods I held off because I immediately discovered EUC's after that.

Sounds like you need a Grom. I love mine for city travel. It’s not going to get you killed in New Jersey or Long Island either if you stay off the interstate. EUCs are realistically limited to the 4 mainland boroughs for convenient travel. 

the one thing a grom can do that an EUC can’t: carry a passenger. 

17 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Sounds like you need a Grom. I love mine for city travel. It’s not going to get you killed in New Jersey or Long Island either if you stay off the interstate. EUCs are realistically limited to the 4 mainland boroughs for convenient travel. 

the one thing a grom can do that an EUC can’t: carry a passenger. 

I actually started looking at the Honda Trail 125.  Small bike that can potentially carry my EUC with that giant rear rack, hmmm.

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend you get a motorcycle.  Keep the S22 for the nearby trips.  Houston is too big for just an EUC and you are risking your life at the faster speeds.  I started out looking at the Ninja 400, but these days, you are talking >$7500 out the door with all the fees, taxes and dealer garbage for a $5000 motorcycle.  They just aren't dealing due to supply constraints, just like with cars.

I was able to buy a brand new Lifan KPR200 off amazon.  It was delivered right to my driveway for $2400.  Cost about $350 to get it titled and tagged.  It is no where near as fast as the Ninja, but it will do 75mph on a level surface.  Keeps up with cars to about 60mph.  Also gets about 100mpg.  A bit lighter than the Ninja; 330lbs vs 365lbs.  Good bike to start on.  It is fuel injected and water cooled.  17 inch wheels.  Disc brakes at both ends.  It even has a full fairing, which makes longer rides less tiring.  Also makes it much better to ride in the cold.  With a 3.7 gallon fuel tank, you can ride for 350 miles without stopping.  How's that for range?  If you need to go further, a 5 minute fill up gets you another 350 miles.

I would not get a Grom as they aren't useable on the highway.  They top out at around 55mph, but accelerate rather slowly above 45mph.  The cost is also about $4000 out the door for a new one.

My first bike was a 1979 Honda CB125, bought new in 1981.  This Lifan is much nicer and a bit faster.  Been riding for over 40 years. My last bike was a 1999 Ninja 900.  Crazy fast, but I am too old for that now.

I enjoy the EUC for around town.  The motorcycle is a good compliment to the EUC for when you need to go further.  EUC's are great in the city.  Outside the city, you need a motorcycle or car.

Edited by MaxV
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Update: As @Flygonial mentioned, the Sherman S won for a few months. However, the extra range and speed were rarely tapped into, which I suspect it was due to the lack of easily accessible acceleration from a 100V wheel. Sherman S was sold back in May, and I am heavily considering getting a CBR300R.

My current lineup of wheels has evolved since too. 16X was sold and an mten4 took its place. Needed a really light wheel I could throw around, and it is perfect as a grocery getter. The S22 is still the king of all the wheels I’ve tested, with plenty of speed and range for 90% of my style of riding. Only other wheels I’d consider don’t exist yet (either a master pro v3 with a beefy rim and quality construction, or a v13 with more range). However, in the meantime, a motorcycle will be a better mode of transportation for my 40-70mph needs.

IMG_5191.jpeg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Alton Dillon said:

Update: As @Flygonial mentioned, the Sherman S won for a few months. However, the extra range and speed were rarely tapped into, which I suspect it was due to the lack of easily accessible acceleration from a 100V wheel. Sherman S was sold back in May, and I am heavily considering getting a CBR300R.

My current lineup of wheels has evolved since too. 16X was sold and an mten4 took its place. Needed a really light wheel I could throw around, and it is perfect as a grocery getter. The S22 is still the king of all the wheels I’ve tested, with plenty of speed and range for 90% of my style of riding. Only other wheels I’d consider don’t exist yet (either a master pro v3 with a beefy rim and quality construction, or a v13 with more range). However, in the meantime, a motorcycle will be a better mode of transportation for my 40-70mph needs.

i have ridden a motorcycle way long before i got into riding an euc.  i rode for about 18yrs,  mainly sport touring and my ride of choice was the venerable bmw R100RS from 1989.  your current wheels is what i would have suggested to keep, had i seen your topic months ago.  in fact the position that you are in now is what i would have suggested too.

there is no euc that will get you the power, speed, and versatility that a motorcycle will give you.  simply cause it has 2 wheels and a seat and handlebar.  i have toured across canada from southern ontario to west coast bc and back and i highly doubt an euc will do that distance in the same comfort.  plus carry an xtra 40 pounds of camping gear, repair tools and clothes and toiletries.  you will be able to cruise at 100-130kph in relative comfort and be able to take a look at your gps every now and then,  perhaps take a friend with you on a short trip,  add a nice set of hard luggage to your ride,  etc,...

your choice of CBR300R is a good one.  i have read some reviews on it and its a good bike.  back in the 80's, my first bike was a new but old yamaha 500 standard bike.  it was the bike i took on my first highway ride at 100kph... if you intend on spending abit of time on the highway,  you may want to consider a larger engine like a 500 or 550 simply because at highway speeds in top gear,  a 500 will not be running near redline.  the CBR300R will be running near redline at 70mph as one reviewer pointed out.  if you can swing it (or wait one more year and save up the difference) get the larger 500cc engined bike.

i wouldn't pay attention to any comments about the euc being 'better' than a motorcycle.  granted,  the euc is the winner when it comes to the amount of space it takes up and the very little maintenance it requires compared to a motorcycle.  but that is where it ends:  the motorcycle has the euc BEAT when it comes to travelling on the highway comfortably at highway speeds,  with or without a passenger nonetheless.

you made a good informed decision based on your personal requirements.

Edited by bpong
  • Thanks 2