S22 hard acceleration vibration noise solution?

Celt26

Hey has anyone found the source of this noise? Found a solution? My S22 makes the same noise under hard acceleration and it's annoying. I can confidently say it's not the motor cable that's vibrating. Also it's not a motor problem.

• Upvote 2

Video is very helpful!

I looked at my mudguard and couldn't figure out a way it would actually resonate so I think that's a red herring. The only thing it could 'hit' would be the kickstand, but it's pretty secure back there.

Your sound is kind of a buzzing? It might be the spring... when you accelerate it compresses the suspension and especially in early-review ride videos the spring buzz was at first concerning, then written off as nothing. Try messing with the preload on the spring (without goofing up the suspension feel!)?

The other place that could buzz is inside the motor hub... the motor wires are encased in that spring protection and if it's routed close to the hub (hub is stationary) it might vibrate and buzz there. Unfortunately it requires a complete teardown to do anything about that.

I'm hoping it's just your spring...

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Video is very helpful!

I looked at my mudguard and couldn't figure out a way it would actually resonate so I think that's a red herring. The only thing it could 'hit' would be the kickstand, but it's pretty secure back there.

Your sound is kind of a buzzing? It might be the spring... when you accelerate it compresses the suspension and especially in early-review ride videos the spring buzz was at first concerning, then written off as nothing. Try messing with the preload on the spring (without goofing up the suspension feel!)?

The other place that could buzz is inside the motor hub... the motor wires are encased in that spring protection and if it's routed close to the hub (hub is stationary) it might vibrate and buzz there. Unfortunately it requires a complete teardown to do anything about that.

I'm hoping it's just your spring...

It seems like a ton of S22's have this sound. Does yours not?

Thanks for checking btw!

Spring buzzing hmmmm. I'll try messing with the preload tomorrow.
Someone on the forums had mentioned that it was the metal arm that holds the kickstand that was buzzing where it met the screws near the 3 suspension geometry adjustment screws. 

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Or the headlight plastics. They were vibrating on someone’s unit, and I think it sounded quite alike.

Oo interesting idea. I'll have to check that. Although I'm not convinced that the sound is coming from the front but it's worth a look.

9 minutes ago, Celt26 said:

It seems like a ton of S22's have this sound. Does yours not?

Mine does not... but there are caveats: my riding weight qualifies me to perform the marketing range test and I changed the spring to a 300 lb/in variant so my resonances will happen at a different place. I also don't accelerate hard very often—only when I'm climbing... as things dry out a bit I'll see if it buzzes when I have to push it... my S18 does the signature grunting on some hills, that may be the kind of thing that would set the oompaloompa growling.

It is related to the Fender/Kickstand for Sure, also i guess the motor itself is not noiseless at hard accel as well unlike other motors...but its a differend sound . This from Video is Fender/Kickstand (and its holders) i found out (even when everything seems tight)

9 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

It is related to the Fender/Kickstand for Sure, also i guess the motor itself is not noiseless at hard accel as well unlike other motors...but its a differend sound . This from Video is Fender/Kickstand (and its holders) i found out (even when everything seems tight)

Thanks, so how did you fix it?

Tbh i dont know exactly, have done so many small things like loosening screws on this things , 3D printed Kickstand holders, tpu kickstand and so on, and somehow this noise is gone...could be even the plastic fender holders from the slider bracket to the fender which holds the motorcable 

Its a small thing but its super annoying , especially on torquing hills , can feel you but you have to try

Edited by onkeldanuel

1 hour ago, onkeldanuel said:

Tbh i dont know exactly, have done so many small things like loosening screws on this things , 3D printed Kickstand holders, tpu kickstand and so on, and somehow this noise is gone...could be even the plastic fender holders from the slider bracket to the fender which holds the motorcable 

Its a small thing but its super annoying , especially on torquing hills , can feel you but you have to try

Ahh well that's good news! It sounds and feels like it's coming from the motor but if you say it's gone after mods that makes me happy :)

You're sure you had the same sound?

28 minutes ago, Celt26 said:

Ahh well that's good news! It sounds and feels like it's coming from the motor but if you say it's gone after mods that makes me happy :)

You're sure you had the same sound?

Yes 100%

• Like 1