"Hot Box" - Fire - Safe Storage. (Updated)

Funky

4 minutes ago, Funky said:

Hot-Box

Might be worth it to deliberately place an old EUC/battery pack inside.....take it outside and set it alight....video the fire to see how the hot box performs.

If it fails terribly.....better that it failed outside in a test, than inside the apartment, beside the bed, when asleep.

The cost is the replacement of the hot box for the test.

The cost of not testing, could be the apartment, live(s).

53 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Might be worth it to deliberately place an old EUC/battery pack inside.....take it outside and set it alight....video the fire to see how the hot box performs.

If it fails terribly.....better that it failed outside in a test, than inside the apartment, beside the bed, when asleep.

The cost is the replacement of the hot box for the test.

The cost of not testing, could be the apartment, live(s).

I didn't have a battery. But i did fill it full of gas and light it up. :w00t2: (Put some tape over holes even, so most gas won't escape the box.. For bigger effect/damage.)

Was checking if it would blow up.. Before i continued to build handle, inside, etc.. Whole doorfront became like big rocket. Each small hole combined into one big flame.

The rocket effect lasted for ~4 seconds. I loved how cool it looked.. And also that epic "Woosh" sound it made. I also took a video, so i could watch it back at slower speed. I saw the door corners prayed open little bit. And then springed back into place. Also checked how far would the "flames" come out.. It reached about one meter and a half. Let's say 2 meters just in case..

As for box itself. It's the same as old steel barrels.. Regular fire it will contain. - No doubt in my mind there. I mostly need to contain the battery fire - the moment it releases its energy, when cells "pop". And it happens quit fast. So called bursts.. If cells go 1 by 1, or 5 cells at time. I can say i'm 99% positive it could contain it. But if all 60 cells go off same time.. Idk really. The heat alone may start to melt the box. It's all about how the fire will act.. 

Even if the box starts to melt.. I still got bricks under it. And rockwool all around inside/outside. And the outside sheet metal acts as second barrier against flames. 

Rockwool alone can handle ~1200C temps. And i got it 5Cm thick. (One layer would be enough, but i got 3x ~15Cm thick.):D I would worry more about things catching on fire from heat. Before box melting, getting destroyed. Yeah i know batteries burn around ~2000C, but you need contant - directed flame at one point. You got some distance, air gaps, etc.. It all makes temps "somewhat" lower. 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Funky changed the title to "Hot Box" - Fire - Safe Storage. (Updated)
  • 3 months later...