Winter Tires with Studs

Rawnei

I've experimented with installing studs in my Kenda 262 tire(s) 2 winters in a row with mixed results:

1st winter I installed cheap studs from amazon into my first Kenda 262 tire, result first week was great but the studs quickly wore out and also fell out one by one.

2nd winter I installed more expensive studs with tungsten tips into my second almost brand new Kenda 262 tire, the durability on the studs was very good and could be re-used for more than 1 season but they also fell out one after the other and had to be continuously replaced.

With those two experiences, not only is it a lot of work to install and even more work to remove and the pain of replacing the ones that fall out, so much time, energy and cost makes it not worth it to me.

So now I'm looking at pre-studded tire alternatives for 18-20" wheels, I could not find a lot of pre-studded winter that fit our wheels but I found this one and wondering if anyone have any experiences or educated opinions about it? It's an 80/80-14 so should theoretically fit most our 18-20" wheels: https://www.mitas-moto.com/en/products/scooter-tires/scooter-winter-tires/mc-32-win-scoot

Or if anyone know/have experience with other similar sized pre-studded tires for winter riding.

Main concern for me is tire installation, some tires are notoriously difficult to install such as for example the Contiscoot and I would very much like to avoid that if possible.

Any studs on this forum? 😁

• Upvote 1

Also living in Stockholm, close to @Rawnei I wonder about this tire now that you found it!

Here's how it looks, in scooter dimensions

12536.jpg

The characteristics listed are:

14 80/80-14 53L TL/TT FRONT/REAR WITH STUDS

That should certainly fit. I guess the concerns are 53L is a very high load index, meaning the tire might have a really hard carcass and a challenge to mount - agree.
Likely pretty hard so low tire pressures required, like my 16X knobby which I run at 21 PSI. Probably less tall than the typical 2.75-14 tire: more clearance for the snow in the mudguard 😁

• Like 1

You may have installed the studs The Wrong Way. :D 

My dad studded his CST-C-1488 tire. Rode whole winter and lost maybe 1-2 studs. But you need also take into mind how much you ride..

How many km/miles you rode each day in winter?

I personally also would like to find/get already studded - real winter tire. But sadly there is completely none out there for mine wheel. :cry2:

13 minutes ago, Funky said:

You may have installed the studs The Wrong Way. :D 

My dad studded his CST-C-1488 tire. Rode whole winter and lost maybe 1-2 studs. But you need also take into mind how much you ride..

How many km/miles you rode each day in winter?

I personally also would like to find/get already studded - real winter tire. But sadly there is completely none out there for mine wheel. :cry2:

Almost every day, many kms, doubt I installed them wrong.. it's not rocket science.

• 6 months later...
18 minutes ago, Aaen said:

Any progress made on this? OR any better luck getting the studs to stay in?

Studs with longer+wider threads worked much much better, can find various ones on AliExpress, I tried the Jx110 worked good but I think the Jx300b would be even better: https://m.aliexpress.com/i/1005001899284629.html

Edited by Rawnei

12 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

Ah yes that makes sense the knobs on a Kenda are very tiny so they flex and fold a lot. I use to use another tyre on on motorcycle called Mitas, that had larger knobs.  

Ah sorry, I tried the jx110 on the S22 stock tire (julier) not the Kenda, not sure if those Kenda or cst tires are suitable for stufs due to those grooves.

I studded a CST C-186 in 2019 with the cheapest tungsten carbide screw-on 4x9mm studs I could find. I replace the tire every fall and every spring, as I prefer a different tread pattern for snow anyway. I don’t think I’ve lost more studs in 4 winters than I can count with one hand’s fingers. A few have snapped in half as well, but the grip on wet ice is still magnificent.

I don’t think unscrewing the studs is a good idea. The rubber they are supposed to grab onto gets crumbled as you do so, so there’s not as much material to grab onto the next time.

With a little practice even the V11 tire can be replaced in 1h 15min. MSX in 35min. How long does it take to screw out a few hundred studs? I don’t think we’re talking even about an hour’s of difference. Besides, it doesn’t hurt to clean up and wax the suspension sliders all the way through every now and then anyway.

Edited by mrelwood

54 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I studded a CST C-186 in 2019 with the cheapest tungsten carbide screw-on 4x9mm studs I could find. I replace the tire every fall and every spring, as I prefer a different tread pattern for snow anyway. I don’t think I’ve lost more studs in 4 winters than I can count with one hand’s fingers. A few have snapped in half as well, but the grip on wet ice is still magnificent.

I don’t think unscrewing the studs is a good idea. The rubber they are supposed to grab onto gets crumbled as you do so, so there’s not as much material to grab onto the next time.

With a little practice even the V11 tire can be replaced in 1h 15min. MSX in 35min. How long does it take to screw out a few hundred studs? I don’t think we’re talking even about an hour’s of difference. Besides, it doesn’t hurt to clean up and wax the suspension sliders all the way through every now and then anyway.

I have a dedicated winter tire now for the S22 so I just swap tires when season changes. 😁 Winter tire is down in the basement atm.

• Like 3