Looking to step up from KS 16X

After 1000km on my KS16x, feel it is time to upgrade. Been hitting speed limitations on every ride, and also want to experience a suspension wheel. Thought I knew what my next wheel would be, was quite liking the V12 HS. That is, before all the issues came up. By now maybe most have been addressed, but it shattered my illusion that Inmotion was a safe bet, just like I thought KS was. But maybe it is always like this with new wheels. When I bought the 16x, it was an older model, all the kinks and issues long resolved. Now that there are so many wheels coming out, it makes my next move a bit more unclear to me! But I am not looking for a big, heavy wheel so maybe not so many options after all... So now my latest idea is the Begode T4. Can't believe I just said that... not that I want to be prejudiced against Begode, just haven't gotten the best impression based on what I've read. I'm also not sure that a top speed of 60km/h is sufficiently higher than the 16x to be considered a step up. But it does have suspension. Thinking of wheels that might have kinks resolved, was even considering the Gotway RS19, although it doesn't have suspension. Just interested to hear what others might say about the options I've mentioned, or maybe other wheels I haven't. 

If you want suspension and a little more speed and a more mature device—you only have V11. Which is by all accounts, a really nice road wheel that can handle forest paths very well. And you can get it used so you can try suspension with a smaller investment.

After that, everything is new. And kinky.

If it's a speed or range thing and you want a 90% road wheel, you kind of only have Sherman/Max, but you said you don't want big and heavy.

If you want speed with more off road, RS19 is where 16X was a year ago: solid and well understood. An upgrade, but not a huge one.

Edited by Tawpie

21 hours ago, Tawpie said:

If you want suspension and a little more speed and a more mature device—you only have V11.

Thanks for your insights. V11 states top speed as 50km/h though, which is same as my 16x. I don't know that suspension is essential for me, just wanted to experience it. Been doing fine without it up to now, but maybe I would change my mind if it made a huge difference to comfort and stability. I will keep an eye out for a good used V11, might be a good way to see if suspension is worth it to me. Other than that, very interested to see how these new wheels do. I also like new shiny things!

T4 or Master or S22 (if the latter two aren't too heavy for your liking). None of them are mature now, so I agree that waiting a bit (if you can take it;)) is an idea worth considering. Though I would say the Master didn't have any actual problems, and probably the T4 won't, and even the S22 is a known quantity now... so maybe you don't even need to wait.

Alternatively V12 HS or RS HS... but the T4 price is probably not much more, so I'd be tempted to go for that instead of one of these two.

If I had to pick one for you, my gut says Master.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions and info. I like the look of the T4, think it would be a nice intermediate step, and a good intro to suspension. Must say I hadn't considered the Master, just had a look, quite a wheel! More of a performance wheel than I am contemplating right now. I like to think I might end up there, but my approach is to evolve by climbing a stairway of progressive wheels. Maybe not really a stairway, just one more intermediate step... My first wheel was a KS14M, barely 50km and I traded it in for a KS16x. I only have about 1100km total riding. Think I can become more skillful, no need to rush to the high performance wheels just yet.  Just got back from dropping my car for a service, took my wheel with, because 8km is apparently too far for the courtesy shuttle! Got rained on riding back... which reminded me of the other criteria I thought would be useful in my next wheel - being waterproof or at least rated pretty high like the InMotion wheels are. Hope my little 16x doesn't mind the rainshowers I just subjected it to!