New V11 charging issue

iam

I received my first EUC, a V11, about a week ago. Straight out of the box, 52% battery(according to inMotion App). I removed Transport and connected the app with no problems. I plug in the charger... no light on the charger box, but the V11 display was processing something around the battery, wasn't sure if it was a download,, or it was indicating that the battery was charging, it was reacting to something. Then it stopped. The diagnosis showed everything good. Battery levels matched at 73,9V -74.1 V,  enabled and activated. Current voltage 0. Wasn't sure if I should start riding, due to the unknown problem, and possibly being stranded with a dead battery within a couple days; I wasn't sure when I would be able to get a new charger, being that my shipment was not as expected, timewise. So rather than deal with 24 hour responses, I ordered a fast charger with overnight shipping from the same company, and that turned into six days. I have not made one complaint so far, I just want to ride!  After 7 days my battery level was at 47%. Unusually high, because I practiced riding it at least an hour or two every day for a week, plus energy consumed by troubleshooting it in the evenings. Turns out original charger was not providing current through the 3 pin cable, the charger box read 84V (I opened it), so i assumed cable or pins, and abandoned the troubleshooting. The new fast charger arrived (7 days), I plugged it into the wall and set it at 80% 3 amps, the green light waiting was on, when I plugged the pins nothing happened. The app showed no change, no charging, and the green light just stayed on. The reading on the fast charger was 84V - 84.2, 0 amps. 

I sent message out to inMotion, and to the vendor 2 days ago, and yesterday, in that order,, and I am waiting for answers. After reading the return policy I'm tempted to open up the wheel and take a look at the motherboard and charger switch. I will update results, in hope it may help others in the same situation.

Reading some of the stories in the forum helped tremendously in deducting possibilities. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

@iam, sorry to hear that. I moved your post into a separate thread, as your issue is not related to the thread you originally posted in.

Your issue sounds a bit worrisome, but there are a few things you can check.

- What does the battery meter show on the wheel? Three bars I suppose?

- When checking the wheel's voltage from the app, check both the overall battery voltage at the vehicle info page, as well as the individual battery pack voltages from the detailed battery info page. Are they wildly different?

- Try both charge ports.

- When the wheel is powered on, press the power button for 30 seconds. Wait 10, and then power up normally and check the voltages again. This resets some aspects of the firmware. This will probably not help in your case, but it's still something to try.

And as a general guideline, forget 80% charging for EUCs altogether. It does quite a bit of harm for large series connected battery packs with only passive top balancing mechanism. Always charge all the way up to full, and leave the charger connected for an hour or a few at least every fifth charge or so. I personally do it after every charge.

I have made a YT video about 80% charging if you're interested in learning more.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

@Mrelwood. Thank you kindly for moving my post to the correct thread. I also appreciate your time in providing advice and suggestions to help out my situation. I will say yes to the YT video ON charger settings. 

The wheel was at three bars from start, up until today. Now down to two bars.

I made the attempt to ~reset the firmware. I heard a very dim beep after the 30 seconds, sounded like a shutoff. Waited 10 - No new results. I did it twice. 

The voltage remains matching 72.3 V on all the info pages, detailed and about vehicle. Diagnosis detects nothing wrong. 

I used both ports, have been doing so during troubleshoots. I even squeezed on the female pins to make sure they were making full contact. My Voltage Meter is still reading 84V output from the charger’ on +/- male pins, always has. Has always shown only a solid green light indicator- as if awaiting connection, plugged in or not to the wheel. 

I am starting to wonder if there was a short  caused by the first charger. It was not functioning from the start. Not sure where to check for burned out (fuses) and I did see charger switch boards for sale on eBay $23 dlls. , but I havenot heard back from vendor (COMPANY) or InMotion, and don’t want to run into any problems for removing parts.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing this thread. I have experienced a very similar problem with my V11. The only difference is that my first charger 'popped' when I plugged it into the wall (it was not connected to the unit). Inmotion sent me a new charger which arrived 7 days later. Unfortunately when I plug the new charger in, the 'XVE' logo on the charger remains GREEEN but the unit doesn't charge up.  It's sitting on one bar now so I figured the amps were low enough to ensure the automatic charge activation, because I read on another forum that the charge only started when the amperage was below a certain level. This hasn't helped with my case tho and the unit is still not charging.  Any advice welcome. Im not even sure how I can return the unit as I live in Saudi Arabia. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Austinsteyn said:

Thanks for sharing this thread. I have experienced a very similar problem with my V11. The only difference is that my first charger 'popped' when I plugged it into the wall (it was not connected to the unit). Inmotion sent me a new charger which arrived 7 days later. Unfortunately when I plug the new charger in, the 'XVE' logo on the charger remains GREEEN but the unit doesn't charge up.

Green signifies no charging - charger is idle - charge current is below some threshold.

It's sitting on one bar now so I figured the amps were low enough to ensure the automatic charge activation, because I read on another forum that the charge only started when the amperage was below a certain level.

Afair V11 cuts off if the charging current is above some ?6,7,8...? ampere? Normal inmotion chargers do not reach this amperage ever.

Charge normaly just starts.

This hasn't helped with my case tho and the unit is still not charging.  Any advice welcome. Im not even sure how I can return the unit as I live in Saudi Arabia. 

Could be a faulty charger providing too low voltage (lower then your actual battery voltage) - could be measured at the charger plug.

Otherwise it sounds like there is some failure at the motherboard (smd fuse, mosfet,...) or in the wiring from the charge plug to the motherboard.