Reporting Firmware Bugs-- Where's do we do that?

SoleCycle

Hi, I just updated to King Song v2.16 on my S18.

Not only does the lift switch not work, but it starts running over 25 MPH when lifted, even though I'm still inside the new wheel 12 MPH speed limit period. (lift switch definitely enabled in app settings). It's a little funny that it beeps at me like crazy to tell me I'm going too fast, but keeps the speed rather than cuts out or slow down.

Seems like a safety issue that should be reported and corrected. I was literally burning rubber trying to wield the thing for a manual power down.

I've done search on here and a general google but haven't found the right place to report. Anyone here know the right place to do so?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Holy crap King Song software quality is low.

KS-18XL hasn't got same bug but close; v. 2.12 it doesn't stop on free spin at all, you need to tilt it sideways to stop it. I grinded the wheel into dirt to stop it but oh boy that was stressful.

King Song suggest upgrading to newer sofware but I've been hesitant to do it but based on your writing I'm totally not going to upgrade.

Try downgrading with SoftTune if possible. I believe that is only thing you can do. I'm pretty sure King Song doesn't give a damn about these bugs.

13 hours ago, goodsignal said:

Hi, I just updated to King Song v2.16 on my S18.

Not only does the lift switch not work, but it starts running over 25 MPH when lifted, even though I'm still inside the new wheel 12 MPH speed limit period.

A set speed limit only enables tiltback but will _never_ stop or limit the wheels spinning speed! If so this would lead to immedeate faceplant at the set speed limit.

(lift switch definitely enabled in app settings). It's a little funny that it beeps at me like crazy to tell me I'm going too fast, but keeps the speed rather than cuts out or slow down.

Seems like a safety issue that should be reported and corrected.

No. Not at all - as written before it is essential for safe unicycle operation that the firmware does never ever restrict the wheels spinning speed!

Doing so would be a huge safety issue - leading to a dangerous rider killing wheel!

I was literally burning rubber trying to wield the thing for a manual power down.

The "safe" way to stop a spinning EUC is to let it accelerate to max lift cut off speed - there it will beep once or twice and turn off.

I've done search on here and a general google but haven't found the right place to report. Anyone here know the right place to do so?

I'd contact the reseller for the not working lift switch - you still have warranty?

On 8/3/2022 at 3:24 AM, Chriull said:

No. Not at all - as written before it is essential for safe unicycle operation that the firmware does never ever restrict the wheels spinning speed!

Doing so would be a huge safety issue - leading to a dangerous rider killing wheel!

This one is a little funny to me because the 40-degree lateral tilt kill switch is exactly this -- a rider killing mechanism. Having the wheel cut out at the deepest point of my turn definitely has caused the most damaging crash so far. This here is actually another issue: setting a greater angle with any of the apps does not change the cutout angle. Wheel cuts out at the exact same lateral tilt whether the app is set to 40-degrees or 60-degrees. I've even confirmed the set value with a different app, which confirms that the wheel has the new number set. Is there something more that I'm supposed to do to get the wheel to respect a users chosen settings? I've tried power cycling.

All your other points (including this one for the lift) do help clear some things up for me and help with my general understanding. Thanks for all the breakdowns @Chriull

One thing that I don't understand now is: What is the lift switch supposed to do??? If it's not supposed to cut the wheel power when we pick up the wheel, what is it actually doing?

@enaon Thanks for the direct link to SoftTuner

21 hours ago, goodsignal said:

One thing that I don't understand now is: What is the lift switch supposed to do??? If it's not supposed to cut the wheel power when we pick up the wheel, what is it actually doing?

That is the purpose of it. It is just not working probably because of bug in software release (might be hardware failure too).

This one is a little funny to me because the 40-degree lateral tilt kill switch is exactly this -- a rider killing mechanism.

This is to prevent wheels from self destruction, jumping erratically around and hitting nearby persons once they are falling.

Having the wheel cut out at the deepest point of my turn definitely has caused the most damaging crash so far.

Yes. EUCs are definitely not build to ride banked curves, in a globe of death or similar.

Getting rid of the "gotway dance" is more important for most riders...

Driving on such 'special" tracks has other priorities - afair in the "ancient times" @EUC Extreme had a custom gotway firmware to prevent this lateral tilt kill for his moto cross ruding.

This here is actually another issue: setting a greater angle with any of the apps does not change the cutout angle. Wheel cuts out at the exact same lateral tilt whether the app is set to 40-degrees or 60-degrees. I've even confirmed the set value with a different app, which confirms that the wheel has the new number set. Is there something more that I'm supposed to do to get the wheel to respect a users chosen settings? I've tried power cycling.

Maybe the lateral tilt angle setting is for another wheel? Or only works with other firmware version? Sorry have no idea or experience with this setting...

All your other points (including this one for the lift) do help clear some things up for me and help with my general understanding. Thanks for all the breakdowns @Chriull

Your welcome. What makes euc riding so fascinating is that many points are not really intuitive. Which unfortionately can lead to false conclusions and crashes...

Not cutting power of a spinning wheel - the kill switch is disabled once the motor is spinning - noone wants to kill by accident the motor during riding!

The kill switch can only be engaged and held at standstill and then he prevents the motor from spinning up until it is released.