Kingsong 16x or Gotway MSP

Hiya all,

I have a dilemma. I have been offered both a 16x and MSP for the same price second hand.

I rode a KS16S three years ago until I had a skateboard incident and busted my ankle. It’s taken this long for it to heal enough for me to want to ride again.

I did buy an MTen3 a year ago but it was so bloody twitchy that I felt it was trying to kill me at every moment. I sold it on after a month.

i wont be riding at at any more than 20mph, I have no interest in injuring myself again.

I need my next wheel to be as stable as possible which I guess the MSP will win at.

Should I go for the MSP over the 16X. I really don’t know what to do.

Edited by wehey

8 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

MSP will be more stable based on the larger wheel (18" vs. 16"). The MSP also has a larger battery, more torque and a higher top speed. The 16X has far better build quality. 

Is the 16X twitchy at 20mph?

If you're really staying at or under 20 mph, the 16X does just fine stability wise. All wheels need some getting used to so keep that in mind! The larger wheel of the MSP makes it inherently less 'twitchy', but also a bit less 'nimble'. One thing I like about KS products are that in general, you don't need add-on's to keep them from getting heavily damaged in 'normal' crashes. The 16X is one tough ride—mine has gone summersaulting down the road, down the side of the mountain. dropped so often I don't even bother trying to save it. I just let it crash. The MSP likes it better when it's treated more kindly.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, wehey said:

I don't think so... 16-20 mph is my sweet spot for cruising on the 16X. I am however, hyper aware of road conditions... it's probably my stance (I don't ride with an offset stance) and the fact that I rarely go fast enough to have practiced, but I get wobbles from hitting bumps at speed so anything over 20 mph on the 16X has me a bit on edge. The "be very careful" point on my S18 comes at 25 mph (bigger wheel diameter), and I have my alarms set there for 'headroom' reasons.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, wehey said:

No, it handles very well. I know that the tire mounted on the 16X can affect the performance though. I have a H666 on my 16X and handles very well. Ironically I have a larger version of the same tire on my MSP and I hate it. 

• Like 2

If I was staying under 30mph, I would go from the 16X.  I have the 16X and RS HS and they are both very different wheels.  The 16X is quicker accelerating, more nimble, lighter, has an awesome trolley handle and thinner than the RS HS.  

For faster riding, the RS HS is superior to the 16X. It is smoother on the road due to the larger tire. It is a little more awkward feeling being like 2 inches wider than the 16X, but not hard to get used to.  The pedal angle on the RS takes some getting used to.  The RS has to have one of the worst trolley handles positioned at the back of the wheel.  It can easily get away from you where as the 16X handle is centered and just a dream to use.

Tires: the 16X has an H-666 tire on it and my RS has a CST-186 knobby tire on it.  The H666 is very smooth and quiet on the road, but not the best off road.  It has very smooth transitions from the center to side of the tire.  The RS knobby tire is not so smooth on the road and is very loud like a bunch of bees. the sound of the tire can easily drown out the AVS sounds coming from the speakers If I am using it from EUC World app. The knobby tire is a very sticky tire and grabs the road on turns, but due to the knobby pattern, it has a tendency to stay on its side when coming out of a turn and you have to force it up straight.  It isn't so bad once you get used to it. It did mess me up at first and I was demanding a road tire for it.  After 100+ miles, I love the knobby tire. I love the sound it makes and no longer ride while using the speakers.  The knobby tire is excellent off road!  I still also love the H666 tire for its smoothness and quietness. On my 16X I have ridden right up to wild animals without scaring them off. With my RS, they run long before I get to them. Goes for people too. 

After riding the RS for a few hundred miles, I got back on the 16X and really missed how quick, nimble and smooth it is.  The stability of the wheel is more up to your riding position and muscle development. If your center of mass is in front or behind the axle you get instability.  You can over come this by offsetting your feet, bending your knees more or carving while accelerating and braking. Normally when I get the wobbles, I can just move one leg and it stops or do a little carve.  Overall, I would say the 16X is more stable than the RS HS.

For my style of riding, I will grab my RS 9 out of 10 times. Now if KS could make a version of the 16X with a top speed of 38-40mph, I think that would be my go to wheel.  The 16X runs out around 33 mph and that is near asking for a cutout whereas the RS HS is just getting started and the PWB tilt-back doesn't kick in till 48mph with a full charge.  For smiles per mile, the 16X is it, but for the thrill of speed, the RS HS has the edge over the 16X.

From the sound of it, I think the 16X will satisfy your needs, but if you feel you will want to push over 30mph safely, then go the MSP route. 

• Like 3

How heavy are you also.. Should take that in mind.

For 20-25mph both would do the trick. Do you want "better" trolley handle. Do you want more torque, or more stability while riding. So on.. You can only choose - because you will be riding.

If speed is number one i would go bigger tire.

If i wanted something "smaller" for slower riding, and messing around. I would go 16x. (Doh 16x have somewhat "weak" axle. That's why i asked about your weight.)

13 minutes ago, Funky said:

How heavy are you also.. Should take that in mind.

For 20-25mph both would do the trick. Do you want "better" trolley handle. Do you want more torque, or more stability while riding. So on.. You can only choose - because you will be riding.

If speed is number one i would go bigger tire.

If i wanted something "smaller" for slower riding, and messing around. I would go 16x. (Doh 16x have somewhat "weak" axle. That's why i asked about your weight.)

I am about 85kg.

The 16X has a cracked inner shell which vibrates terribly apparently . It’s been changed under warranty but has cracked again. The owner is fed up with it now and want to sell it on. He lives 100’s miles from me and he won’t ship it.

The MSP is mint condition, has power pads, knobbly tyre and the owner lives 5 miles down the road!!

Both are £850. What a dilemma lol

Edited by wehey

54 minutes ago, wehey said:

I am about 85kg.

The 16X has a cracked inner shell which vibrates terribly apparently . It’s been changed under warranty but has cracked again. The owner is fed up with it now and want to sell it on. He lives 100’s miles from me and he won’t ship it.

The MSP is mint condition, has power pads, knobbly tyre and the owner lives 5 miles down the road!!

16X means you will need 100% repair it or change the inner shell. - Do you wanna work?

MSP so close and better deal.. Doh it will have water "ingress" problems if you will ride in rain. (Backpack cover over euc should fix that issue.) Doh gotway wheels have had problems about the heatsink gasket letting water inside motherboard apartment... (Adding silicone around gasket would be easy fix. - I personally would do that.. As that would be the only way to water get inside the wheel. If i would use "backpack cover" over wheel itself.)

I call MSP. Even if you ride 20mph. At some point you will wanna go faster anyways. (I myself didn't want faster wheel than 40kph and after 500km ridden i hit those speeds easily.)

I and my dad use that "backpack cover" on our eucs and we ride without any problems in rain. (Most cases it's the gasket around heatsink, that we need to worry.)

Yes 18" wheel will feel - more "boring" than 16" and it's nimbleness. But nothing can beat 18" wheel and cruising long straight paths. Also all road bumps wll be more pleasant on 18" vs 16". I hardly recommend going MSP simply for smooth cruising and more stability.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, wehey said:

I am about 85kg.

I don't see a dilemma. The broken 16X was never in contention. The owner broke the 16X inner shell twice. No thanks.

If you don't ride in the rain, or you don't mind doing your own waterproofing, the MSP is the clear winner, assuming that your assessment on MSP's mint condition is accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, wehey said:

Thanks for all the advice folks, I think my mind is made up.

I just hope he decides to sell now. He was a bit unsure as he loves the wheel so much.

C6EF4C0B-7911-4576-A1ED-C44F391EF589.jpeg

Nice "bumper". I got a question doh..

Damn daniel, those are some "classy" pads.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

One other question ….

I have read that the pedal angle is pretty severe on the MSP. Is there any way to reduce it if it does put strain on my ankle ?

Edited by wehey

no need to reduce it; you will get used to the angle. It really helps when dealing with the width of the MSP to keep the pressure off your legs.  With the wide wheel, if the pedals were flat your legs would spread as normal, but then would have to tilt down to the pedal in an unnatural way and be painful.  Changing the angle helps keep your legs in a more natural position keeping the lower leg in-line with the upper leg. The taller you are the less of an effect.  On the thinner wheels, they do not need much if any pedal tilt because they do not spread your legs much.

My RS HS is 2 inches wider than my 16X.  The 16X has near flat pedals and the RS has angled pedals and both keep your legs in a natural position.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Magman116 said:

no need to reduce it; you will get used to the angle. It really helps when dealing with the width of the MSP to keep the pressure off your legs.  With the wide wheel, if the pedals were flat your legs would spread as normal, but then would have to tilt down to the pedal in an unnatural way and be painful.  Changing the angle helps keep your legs in a more natural position keeping the lower leg in-line with the upper leg. The taller you are the less of an effect.  On the thinner wheels, they do not need much if any pedal tilt because they do not spread your legs much.

My RS HS is 2 inches wider than my 16X.  The 16X has near flat pedals and the RS has angled pedals and both keep your legs in a natural position.

Thanks but if you read my first post I said that I severely damaged my ankle 3 years ago so I would like to know if it’s possible to adjust it if it causes me problems 

7 minutes ago, wehey said:

Thanks but if you read my first post I said that I severely damaged my ankle 3 years ago so I would like to know if it’s possible to adjust it if it causes me problems 

you can file the pedal to suit (be careful, you're removing material!). Don't file the pedal hanger.

• Like 1

Good choice on the msp, its the one wheel that's hard for me to sell. Its very quick, and it was the first wheel that was introduced to the community that demonstrated torque.   It really climbs up hills, its headlight is fantastic, weighs about 58lbs, and its weight to speed is fabulous. Enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wehey said:

One other question ….

I have read that the pedal angle is pretty severe on the MSP. Is there any way to reduce it if it does put strain on my ankle ?

Actually more aggressive pedal angle helps with riding. Versus completely flat.. My 18xl "original" pedals where pretty flat. After i got myself honeycomb pedals, which had more aggressive angle. I liked the more aggressive ones, even on very slim 18xl body.

You can always get aftermarket pedals for ~150$ If you really don't like them.. (Honeycomb with spikes are so much better, than regular griptape.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

So it looks like the decision has been made for me.

The guy with the MSP has decided not to sell. He wanted to replace it with a suspension wheel but didn’t realise how expensive they are!

So I’m hopefully gonna be getting the 16X on Saturday. If the vibrating shell is too annoying then I will strip i down and repair it!

If you are not afraid of disassembling the wheel and exchanging the inner shell, i would say that 16x with pedals/pads are better deal. (You could get epoxy - the 2 compound glue and at hardware shop some "netting/cloth" for stronger repair for the shell.) You place glue then cloth/netting, then another layer of glue = shell fixed. Same time it should be stronger than plain plastic.

Maybe you are lucky and you don't need to disassemble all, only remove "wheel/pedals". For gluing job..

Check youtube for shell/plastic repair videos. Example:

Edited by Funky

38 minutes ago, Funky said:

If you are not afraid of disassembling the wheel and exchanging the inner shell, i would say that 16x with pedals/pads are better deal. (You could get epoxy - the 2 compound glue and at hardware shop some "netting/cloth" for stronger repair for the shell.) You place glue then cloth/netting, then another layer of glue = shell fixed. Same time it should be stronger than plain plastic.

Maybe you are lucky and you don't need to disassemble all, only remove "wheel/pedals". For gluing job..

Check youtube for shell/plastic repair videos. Example:

Yeah that was my plan. I have years and years of acquired skills fixing up cars, motorbike and the like 😀😀

like you have said a good dose of fibreglass cloth and resin should see her good 👍  

• Like 2