S18 high self discharge (not Molicel)

reach

Hi. I noticed that my S18 discharges itself, when I unplug it.

I charge it to 100%, disconnect it (several hours or days after 100%, not right afterwards). When I check the battery then some 3 days later, it has lost around 20%. And no, it's not just a wrong reading, it keeps showing this percentage when riding and the range is actually significantly shorter.

Does anybody else have a similar problem?

Thx, 

reach

KS wheels on older firmware will vampire away after being unplugged. The entire control board is powered up during charging, and until v2.09 (ish) it didn't turn back off.

The no-update-risk solution is to power cycle the wheel after unplugging it. Or update the firmware and it'll power down when the charger stops providing voltage. I have my S18 at 2.16 and it's been good (no problems that I'm aware of, plus they fixed the false "your handle sensor is broken" warning from 2.09 which is very nice indeed).

44 minutes ago, reach said:

Hi. I noticed that my S18 discharges itself, when I unplug it.

I charge it to 100%, disconnect it (several hours or days after 100%, not right afterwards). When I check the battery then some 3 days later, it has lost around 20%. And no, it's not just a wrong reading, it keeps showing this percentage when riding and the range is actually significantly shorter.

Does anybody else have a similar problem?

Thx, 

reach

This is happening to one of my s18s because one battery is not charging properly while charger is connected and after the charger is disconnected voltage of the three packs tends to get balanced (and global voltage decreases)

Last week I checked voltage of each pack after a long charging process and one pack was 77v (the other 2 packs were 84v). Some time later it was disconnected the bad pack was 80v and the 2 others 82v (probably if I wait longer all packs would be with the same voltage)

If I disconnect the 2 packs that charge properly, I get an error of over voltage if I try to charge the "bad" pack alone.

I think it's a main board problem as I also don't have information of charging amperes.

I don't know if I would loose 20% because it's never 3 days not used...

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

KS wheels on older firmware will vampire away after being unplugged. The entire control board is powered up during charging, and until v2.09 (ish) it didn't turn back off.

The no-update-risk solution is to power cycle the wheel after unplugging it. Or update the firmware and it'll power down when the charger stops providing voltage. I have my S18 at 2.16 and it's been good (no problems that I'm aware of, plus they fixed the false "your handle sensor is broken" warning from 2.09 which is very nice indeed).

Woohoo! I really was on 2.09. Which is strange, because the first thing I do with any new device is to look if there is an update available :-) 

I updated now to 2.16 and will report back how it goes. Thanks a million anyway!

4 hours ago, ffontana said:

This is happening to one of my s18s because one battery is not charging properly[...]

Sounds reasonable. Let's hope the issue is just with the firmware. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this? I am on 2.06 still and I have always had this "issue". There is a simple fix though as earlier mentioned, power cycle the wheel as soon as it has charged full --> I am afraid that balancing never happens on the S-18 though as charging is cut and you still have the 0.3A draw from the motherboard (with bluetooth) being kept alive. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, forgot to write an update: unfortunately the FW upgrade to 2.16 did not fix the issue. 

It's visible with the bare eye, when it's slightly dark, at least with my white one: when you disconnect the wheel after charging, a red LED keeps glowing underneath the shell, in the area of the grip. If I'm not mistakes also BT stays on forever. Only power-cycling turns it off properly.

The good news is: I have exactly that with my S18. Fully loaded, disconnected and power-cycled and, I just went to the garage to double-check: still 100% after 15 days! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, reach said:

If I'm not mistakes also BT stays on forever

Just for anyones information: I use the Kingsong app but whilst charging my wheel is usually switched off. I charge to 100% and then switch off the charger at the wall socket and a second or two later the front headlight will flash. No lights appear under the cover then and I have never experienced any power drain using this method. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, FinRider said:

I am afraid that balancing never happens on the S-18 though as charging is cut and you still have the 0.3A draw from the motherboard (with bluetooth) being kept alive. 

Maybe try my method above, but leave the charger on, it takes roughly 45 minutes after the battery light turns green for the batteries to be balanced on my wheel to 84V no amp-age draw.

One detail... the fast charger I bought from eWheels will shut down when the voltage reaches the target (84V for S18). It does not appear to stay on for balancing.

Consequently, I only use the fast charger to get to 80 or 90% and always use the stock charger to finish (green light+one or two hours).

This is a case where two charge ports are really handy—fast charger in 1 port, stock in the other. Tragically, this is not possible on S18.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1