Freemotion has S22s, but..

No1up

1.) It's free motion, and while I haven't seen much negative about them lately, I suspect its because of the lower sales numbers from the owner being a dick... I myself have purchased one wheel from them, and he did send some free stuff and pretty fast shipping. I have not had to deal with after service care... Ive heard its hit or miss with free motion. The owner is simply not personable. 

2.) How did they get the s22? I see they went ahead and got the LG50 battery pack... is this the same wheel that U-stride blew up? Did they just update the firmware without adding any physical measures? 

21 minutes ago, No1up said:

I see they went ahead and got the LG50 battery pack... is this the same wheel that U-stride blew up? Did they just update the firmware without adding any physical measures?

What is the "standard" battery pack expected on the final S22? Just because it uses some brand of cells doesn't say anything about whether any BMS improvements, extra fuses, and whatnot are there, right?

31 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What is the "standard" battery pack expected on the final S22? Just because it uses some brand of cells doesn't say anything about whether any BMS improvements, extra fuses, and whatnot are there, right?

well the eWheels version of the wheel will be running 1776wh High discharge battery pack. The LG50s seems to be the most widely utilized battery brand for most wheels out there. I'm wondering if this is the same pack that the "S20" U-stride had. If so, if anyone knows what they did (if anything) to make it safer, because that was ONE HELL of en explosion. 

1 hour ago, No1up said:

I see they went ahead and got the LG50 battery pack... is this the same wheel that U-stride blew up? Did they just update the firmware without adding any physical measures?

Here's my take... physically, the battery system including cells is the same as what UStride blew up unless you're (still) waiting for the eWheels packs. KS found a firmware issue that they believe allowed them to duplicate the UStride fire, and they fixed it and in the video they shared they were not able to reproduce the condition that they believe led to the fire (the BMS's fuse didn't blow before the fix and did blow after the fix). Neither KS nor distribution has publicly indicated that any changes other than firmware were made to the BMS or to the battery between the pre-production demo S20s and the production S22.

Near as I can tell, eWheels felt that in addition to the firmware fix, changing to the higher discharge battery cells was necessary because the wheel is allowed to draw more current than the stock high capacity cells are comfortable delivering. This should allow eWheels varieties to potentially suffer less incremental damage from over current—which should only be a worry if you ride fairly aggressively. It's a margin thing... there should be more room for eWheels riders to really push the wheel even though for the most part the extra room probably isn't necessary. If I were guessing, based on Masters pushed very very hard with the high capacity LG cells and not destroying them, that for virtually all use cases the LGs are fine. If you buy from eWheels, you'll have a little more margin and a little less range.

If your ride style is on par with the best riders in NYC, I'd suggest sourcing an S22 from eWheels. Otherwise, you'll probably be fine... and now that the first production batch is (finally) reaching a large number of end users we'll start to get a better idea of reality.

From the tone of some of the shared communication with KS, they reluctantly made the change to high discharge cells for eWheels and only eWheels so unless your distributor can buy in the quantities that eWheels purchases, you're unlikely to be able to get a wheel from KS with the high discharge cells.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

KS found a firmware issue that they believe allowed them to duplicate the UStride fire, and they fixed it and in the video they shared they were not able to reproduce the condition that they believe led to the fire (the BMS's fuse didn't blow before the fix and did blow after the fix).

@No1up This is the important part. I don't think the latest KS batteries are anything to be concerned about. The cell type alone says nothing anyways.

51 minutes ago, No1up said:

well the eWheels version of the wheel will be running 1776wh High discharge battery pack.

Really? I can find nothing about that on the ewheels website.

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Really? I can find nothing about that on the ewheels website.

(eWheels' website is notoriously out of date and often not-quite-accurate… the website also indicates the option of a street tire but thus far that option hasn't been extended to this pre-orderer)

The messaging I've received from eWheels indicates that our wheels are nearly done (they have been nearly done for several weeks now), and were delayed because they were coming with the high discharge cells.

Personally, because of my ride style and riding weight, I expect to receive zero benefit from the high discharge cells. But I also think eWheels has my back so I'm suffering through the wait.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

You can have my 'waiting list' ks22 at ewheels... I just cancelled my long waiting ks22 since I don't want the high discharge battery pack... Now I have to look elsewhere... 

Wait!!! This doesn't make sense... There is trouble with brown MOSFETs and you want to put higher current through these same MOSFETs??!! You all are stupid crazy.... 

Edited by MetricUSA
  • Upvote 1