Getting into EUCs using Standing Desk Balance Boards (e.g. FluidStance)?

Hi all, newbie here.

I'm wondering if a Fluidstance balance board (for standing desk ergonomics) seems similar to EUCs from experienced perspective.

I'm using it to follow along with some 'learn to EUC' videos and I think the motions make a lot of sense. I think the main thing missing is how heavy the EUC is, and having a wheel to squeeze with your shins.

Unlike the Wii balance boards or the ones with two wheels on the end, you balance around a centre point in all directions. Here's a short video that shows how it's used. Any thoughts?

If someone confirms how similar it is, could be a decent way to practice balancing at home, or get the whole lot of people with these balance boards interested in EUCs!

p.s. I was thinking of replying to this thread, but standing desk office ergonomics seems pretty different from sports/hobbies.

• Like 1

It is not similar.

EUC has a vertical component that is controlled by the dominant leg. A common element of learning to ride EUC is controlling the wheel with one leg... doing semi-circles, riding a short distance on one leg etc. 

If you have to be standing around anyway, then something that helps boost endurance in the thighs could be useful.  Otherwise, considering those prices, you might as well get an actual unicycle.  Zero km/h for $250 puts a favorable light on even modest wheels.

• Like 2

I think a better simulation, and it's only a partial simulation, would be to secure a round dowel to a flat board. Orient the board+dowel so that it's tippy side to side but stable front to back, then keep that balanced—with your knees bent.

It's not a great simulation because it's not as dynamic as a real wheel (that you don't want to clench between your legs—just saying!) and you're not nearly high enough off the ground. Besides, when you're riding you are actually wanting to weight one leg or the other in order to turn, so getting spot-on at static balancing the same at all.

But anything you can do that'll strengthen your core and quads and feet will help. Maybe the fluid board would help with strength, but I too suspect you'd be better off spending the money on quality gear.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

@Paul AYeah, I think the same. IMO the largest part of the elementary training is in the head: First to trust the wheel and then to learn how to tell it to go somewhere.

Balance and core training is nice and it doesn’t hurt to do it, but it won’t teach anyone to ride EUC any more than it will teach them to ski. It will help a bit with both, though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve never tried it so I don’t know for sure but I think it may help improve your balance and awareness of the muscles of your feet and legs, and I speculate that those would be helpful especially if they train you to be sensitive to small movements and react quickly enough to stay in balance.