RS 19 good wheel to learn on?

RhoadsNRoses82

I'm looking to buy my first EUC. Never ridden one before but have researched all the options online pretty thoroughly. I'm gravitating towards the begode RS19 HS or inmotion v11. begode seems to have the rep of "unsafe", not water protected, bad battery design etc. How true is that really? In video reviews it actually seems pretty damn durable and well built. And i get the sense that begode is really more in touch with how riding is supposed to feel, sort of the "raw ride feel" sector of the market, so maybe it's worth sacrificing the water proofing etc? i mean i definitely dont plan to ever ride in the rain to be honest, regardless of what wheel i have

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EF95 said:

begode seems to have the rep of "unsafe", not water protected, bad battery design etc. How true is that really?

All manufacturers f**k up regularly. Right now, there seem to be some production issues with the latest V11 batch, so the RS is the "safe" option with nothing bad going on. (But buying from a good dealer, e.g. ewheels, will make sure they don't sell you a potentially problematic wheel, so don't rule it out just from that.) Other times, it might have been the other way around. My point is: all wheels are more or less equally safe, and the rest depends on the details.

The real difference is: one has a suspension, the other does not.

As for waterproofing: sure the V11 has a better one, but sounds like you can live with the RS just as well.

7 hours ago, EF95 said:

And i get the sense that begode is really more in touch with how riding is supposed to feel, sort of the "raw ride feel" sector of the market, so maybe it's worth sacrificing the water proofing etc?

Haven't tested in person, but I think that is true. Begode just goes for full power with a simple firmware and not much "shaping" or refinement of the pedal behavior. I certainly like relentless power when you want it.

-

Trust your gut in which wheel to choose. I'm getting the impression you are leaning toward the RS. If that is the case, get the RS. Both wheels are great, though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My own personal experience with the Begode T3 has been great. It is a very reliable wheel. Before I bought it, I was fully aware of the Gotway reputation. I bought it anyway. I rode it in heavy rain, and also in late fall with tons of wet leaves and debris on the ground. The T3 has the 4" large hollow bore bearings that are prone to water ingress and subsequent rusting. I rode through heavy rainfalls for months, and survived unscathed, at least not until I started riding through snow and ice on salted roads, after which, the bearings rusted and made noises. But I don't purposely go through puddles nor standing water.

The current RS-19 has the new and improved hollow bore motor bearings. They should fair better. 

My T3's shell remains dry to this day. However, for the RS-19, you need to learn more about waterproofing the shell, if you want to ride in the rain. At least that has been the warnings. The warning for lack of weather proofing for the T3 turned out to be in accurate for my batch.

The RS-19 is 60 lbs. I would consider that heavy for a learning wheel. However, the RS-19 shares an undeniable DNA traits with the T3. It should be more intuitive to ride than some other wheels. For example, I believe it should be easier to learn to ride on the RS-19 than on a V12, or V11. The latter two have high pedal height, especially the V11.

If you wish to skip over the lighter easier to learn wheels, I believe the RS-19 should be one of the easier to learn performance wheels. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, EF95 said:

I'm looking to buy my first EUC. Never ridden one before but have researched all the options online pretty thoroughly. I'm gravitating towards the begode RS19 HS or inmotion v11. begode seems to have the rep of "unsafe", not water protected, bad battery design etc. How true is that really? In video reviews it actually seems pretty damn durable and well built. And i get the sense that begode is really more in touch with how riding is supposed to feel, sort of the "raw ride feel" sector of the market, so maybe it's worth sacrificing the water proofing etc? i mean i definitely dont plan to ever ride in the rain to be honest, regardless of what wheel i have

I Just bought The rs high speed as my first wheel it is an awesome wheel I got mine 5 weeks ago and I’ve put 1050km on italready .took me about 10-15 minutes to learn in a parking lot.i parked in the center of a parking lots and held onto my car and kept circling the vehicle and eventually let go and continued around the parking lot.I only ride in hard mode .be sure to use begode app to calibrate your wheel .i watched videos on YouTube on the rs calibration.i also recommend ewheels.com.they come with the safer litech batteries .ewheels also give you the new begode spiked pedals ,mudgaurd,power pads and even wrist guards all for free 

F8CA3825-93D3-4DC1-9379-2DBEF51D5909.jpeg

I’m so glad I didn’t start with a v8f or 16x like people recommend cuz I would have been bored with it after two weeks and would have sold them..The rs has loads of torque and super fast off the line 🚀 🚀 and I’ve had mine up to 73kph  (45 mph) plus I’m a heavier rider I’m 5’9” 215 pounds .it’s a great wheel .as far as waterproofing I’ve road thru small puddles here and there but I don’t ride in rain 

13 hours ago, EF95 said:

I can't comment re RS but re inmotion v11, it is large and heavy, with a high pedal height, but it is very stable compared to other wheels i've tried.  I have a used one on the way to me.  Re RS safety, there is a variant called RS Resolute that uses LiFePO4 battery, which is not flammable (at worst, it will produce smoke but will not combust).  It has less voltage sag and many other advantages.  It also costs less than the regular RS.  But the tradeoff is that the range is much shorter.

1 hour ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

That wheel had over 5000 miles on it and Those are the old battery packs .all new ones sold by ewheels come with litech 

And all new RS sold in Europe comes with ???? batteries?  

2 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

I’m so glad I didn’t start with a v8f or 16x like people recommend cuz I would have been bored with it after two weeks

I had an Inmotion v8 and I think it was a fine beginner wheel but I agree it is too slow.  As for 16X, it has a top speed of 31mph, same as my Tesla v2, and I'm not at all bored with the Tesla v2.  Cruising at 20mph is fast enough for me.

24 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

I had an Inmotion v8 and I think it was a fine beginner wheel but I agree it is too slow.  As for 16X, it has a top speed of 31mph, same as my Tesla v2, and I'm not at all bored with the Tesla v2.  Cruising at 20mph is fast enough for me.

28mph* for 16x so have people said.

Yeah i ride 20-22mph most of time and i'm also happy. Time to time i hear alarm at 25mph. But rarely. It's funny how i keep riding at 22mph not knowing real speed. After ride i can see that my speed for most times are  ~20-22mph in euc world.

Begode crashes and is destroyed.

Beneficial for beginners:

to realize the mesh type of protective gear does not provide full coverage

a cutout can totally destroy an EUC

an RS 19 might be too powerful/fast for a learner wheel.

Edited by Paul A
further clarification

17 hours ago, EF95 said:

rep of "unsafe"

BG allows you to disable all of the safety systems, so in that sense it permits rider errors that KS and IM will bark about (speed mostly). But other than that, the new ones are as unsafe as any other self-balancing built-as-cheaply-as-it-possibly-can vehicle

17 hours ago, EF95 said:

not water protected

This is true, you'll need to spend some time if there's a chance you'll be in the wet. It's not difficult, 'tedious' is perhaps a better term. And there are plenty of how-to videos—because it is necessary

17 hours ago, EF95 said:

bad battery design

Assuming you buy from eWheels, this is taken care of (hopefully) by their custom designed/built battery packs. And honestly, in the last year BG hasn't seen an unusual number of fires.

17 hours ago, EF95 said:

begode is really more in touch with how riding is supposed to feel, sort of the "raw ride feel" sector of the market

Ah, a speed seeker's impression! There is a segment of the rider market that isn't after pure speed and acceleration—some of us like to cruise... it's a little like skiing a blue run. Some like comfort for touring (suspension), others like forest paths and roads. Some like a wheel that is attractive. I believe each rider gradually settles into their preferred ride mode, you usually have a pretty fair idea of what you're expecting when you get started so you should pay attention and scratch that itch. But be open to the possibility that what you think today may change as you accumulate mileage.

I doubt you can go wrong with an RS as your first wheel. It's actually a good thing to get in there and become familiar with all of its bits and pieces while you waterproof it. Once that's done, it shouldn't need much attention for a long time (unless you don't add the front bumper). Yes it's heavy and heavy is harder to learn, but that just means you need to be a bit more stubborn about it.

Many many people have learned to ride on a V11. My cautionary tale is that everyone I know that has learned on a V11 has moved on to something else and either doesn't ride or has sold their learner. Not a bad thing, but do start saving for wheel 2 (wheel 2 is in fact unavoidable no matter what wheel 1 is, but the V11 does seem more 'just to learn and then move on' than other wheels). IM's latest batch of V11s isn't looking very good—this is a wheel I'd buy used if I could.

Do know:

The top front of BG wheels is particularly fragile, almost everyone adds additional 3D printed bumpers. The main reason is that when it falls over on its nose, the top front will cave in, your headlight will pop out, and your inner shell might crack.

Have fun though, the choosing is part of it. It's nearly impossible to make a 'mistake' with your first wheel—learning isn't exactly cake on any of them.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

thanks to everyone for all your insights, very helpful.

37 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

IM's latest batch of V11s isn't looking very good—this is a wheel I'd buy used if I could.

I Ordered my v11 from amazon since they have an easy 30 day return policy just so i can try it out. Is there a way to tell if the v11 i get is from the newer line or previous line?

5 minutes ago, EF95 said:

thanks to everyone for all your insights, very helpful.

I Ordered my v11 from amazon since they have an easy 30 day return policy just so i can try it out. Is there a way to tell if the v11 i get is from the newer line or previous line?

Lol he bought it from amazon GOD speed. He's a brave man. I do hope they will accept "used" wheel back. This isn't 5$ item, that aren't even worth talking to you, for them..

Edited by Funky

hahaha well all the other sites are outta stock. i waited 2.5 months to get my inmotion v12 from EUCO, cuz they were waiting for new control boards to install. and guess what, it arrived and literally from me just rolling it aroud on my carpet in my living room, it cut out, and never turned on again. So now i'm shipping it back to them for a refund. Unbelievable the quality control (or lack thereof) in this industry. But yea that's why  i was just like so sick of waiting and wanted to get something thats been around long enough without any problems (V11)...and now here i find out the latest V11s also having problems??? so annoying

7 minutes ago, EF95 said:

hahaha well all the other sites are outta stock. i waited 2.5 months to get my inmotion v12 from EUCO, cuz they were waiting for new control boards to install. and guess what, it arrived and literally from me just rolling it aroud on my carpet in my living room, it cut out, and never turned on again. So now i'm shipping it back to them for a refund. Unbelievable the quality control (or lack thereof) in this industry. But yea that's why  i was just like so sick of waiting and wanted to get something thats been around long enough without any problems (V11)...and now here i find out the latest V11s also having problems??? so annoying

Welcome to euc world. Where we are riding on popsicle sticks, and glue.

Cheapest materials possible to make - for big profits. :thumbup:

Lucky that i bought ks18xl - proven long time, to be one of the best euc's out there.

Edited by Funky

3 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Goods sold on Amazon might be drop shipping though.

Yup amazon simply tells people we got "stock". You will get it in 2-3months.

I love euc stores - where you can go in store, look at the wheels in person. And simply buy the same day. <3 I did that. 1830$ for 18xl latest batch.

Edited by Funky

2 minutes ago, Funky said:

Yup amazon simply tells people we got "stock". You will get it in 2-3months.

I love euc stores - where you can go in store, look at the wheels in person. And simply buy the same day. <3 I did that.

well i placed the order 2 days ago and it is already shipped, supposed to arrive tomorrow (prime shipping). and it says it's "sold by inmotion direct". I guess inmotion keeps some stock personally at the amazon warehouse? i dunno. i'm just hoping it's one of the older ones

1 minute ago, EF95 said:

well i placed the order 2 days ago and it is already shipped, supposed to arrive tomorrow (prime shipping). and it says it's "sold by inmotion direct". I guess inmotion keeps some stock personally at the amazon warehouse? i dunno. i'm just hoping it's one of the older ones

Well if it's one of the "new" ones. You will get your fun out of it, till you get a faceplant. Then you can return it again for full refund. Win, Win. Hope you won't break a bone.