Which is most important to monitor for avoiding cutout? Speed, voltage, amps, watts, or something else?

If I want to avoid cutout, which is the most important thing to monitor in an EUC app?  Is it speed, voltage, amps, watts or something else?

I don't think it is speed because it doesn't take into account the extra load in an incline, or if the rider is heavier than average.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

If I want to avoid cutout, which is the most important thing to monitor in an EUC app?  Is it speed, voltage, amps, watts or something else?

I don't think it is speed because it doesn't take into account the extra load in an incline, or if the rider is heavier than average.

Thanks in advance.

It's pwm % (duty cycle)

For KS and Inmotion wheels EUC World shows these value (safety margin = 100% - pwm %). For Begode/Sherman they are calculated/estimated - EUC Dashboard can show real native pwm % for these wheels, too. I'm not up to date how euc world implementation of native pwm for begode is planned.

There are also many other interesting projects in the app section regarding pwm %.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

It's pwm % (duty cycle)

OK thanks.  Can you ELI5 why pwm is the most important parameter to monitor in order to prevent cutouts? 

3 hours ago, 360rumors said:

Can you ELI5 why pwm is the most important parameter to monitor in order to prevent cutouts?

In a unicycle, the Pulse Width Modulation duty cycle is a measure of how close your power demand is to absolute-max-and-there-ain't-no-more. 100% duty cycle (or 0% safety margin) means quite literally: there isn't any way for the wheel to deliver more thrust... it's already wide open. PWM is the rolled up summarization of all of the factors that lead to reaching maximum thrust—battery, environment, rider input etc. When it's at 100%, the wheel is unlikely to be able to maintain balance in the forward direction because it can't speed up to get back underneath you.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Chriull said:

That's all in the link i posted above.

Thanks I did try to read the link but it went over my head.  I have very little knowledge about electronics.  I hope to learn more in the future. 

5 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Wouldn't it be a little difficult to monitor the pwm parameter whilst riding?

I believe @Freeforester has just such a project in work at the moment, and is working through some demonstration/refinement processes in the hope that GW will consider incorporating it into their firmware. To overcome the limitations of audio-only warnings, he's doing something so simple it is pure genius: strobe the headlight (assuming you have a good headlight and it's not blinding daylight but coupled with audio…). IMO, what he is doing is sorely needed and hugely appreciated.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Paul A said:

Wouldn't it be a little difficult to monitor the pwm parameter whilst riding?

The wheel already has a warning system of beeping to alert. 

Audible volume is the pitfall.

i was thinking of using one of those wrist mounts and shooting it a quick glance every now and then.  As for audible volume, i completely agree.  I can barely hear the alarm on the begode tesla v2.  I wish all alarms were as loud as that of my inmotion.

For reference, I have a Pebble Time Steel velcroed to my jacket sleeve and connected to the safety margin alarm on EUCWorld. When it trips, the watch vibrates like a small animal, there's no missing it. The only downside is it relies on a Bluetooth connection to EUCWorld, and we all know that BT isn't a totally reliable communication channel. But for now, it's as good as I can do!

Edited by Tawpie

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I believe @Freeforester has just such a project in work at the moment, and is working through some demonstration/refinement processes in the hope that GW will consider incorporating it into their firmware. To overcome the limitations of audio-only warnings, he's doing something so simple it is pure genius: strobe the headlight (assuming you have a good headlight and it's not blinding daylight but coupled with audio…). IMO, what he is doing is sorely needed and hugely appreciated.

Er, I think you may be thinking of someone with a modicum of technical ability in this field, something I personally am ready to disprove in my own case! Must be someone else, though I agree, it might just have been one of my (increasingly rare) better ideas, had I had the wit to have thought of it, lol! 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

When it trips, the watch vibrates like a small animal, there's no missing

Nice! Any lag in the alarm?

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Head up display, one possible option to display pwm.

I agree this is ideal. I’m looking for affordable AR glasses that can mirror my phone. 

1 hour ago, 360rumors said:

Nice! Any lag in the alarm?

Probably? I don't push my wheels, so the only time it goes off (I have it set to 25% safety margin which is a lot conservative) is when I'm lower on battery and hit a bump when I'm not ready for it (too stiff, not absorbing the energy in my knees). Then it goes off practically instantly, it seems like it goes off on landing or after the first 'bounce'. I use it to remind me to start paying strict attention to my speed because my bump headroom isn't what it typically is.

• Like 1