Long Distance Trip +3h GPS Map Navigation Device Options with Komoot

Hi all, 

Does anyone have experience with long battery life "bike" GPS computers or similar devices that give you turn by turn directions and have a base map that works without Internet connection? 

I'm thinking only options are Bike GPS Computers or some large battery small screen android phone that can easily be used on a phone wrist/arm holder (saving map/route for offline use on Komoot).

I'm planning some long trips, +200km trips. 

I am using Komoot to plan them (great app, really recommend it, @Seba did put a review about it years ago). 

I'm guessing the main options are things like Garmin Edge 530 or Bryton Rider 750. 

However, those have lots of bike related features which are not needed on an EUC (cadence sensors, heart rate monitor capability and other things of that sort). Maybe those features are part of the reason for these costing +200€

Any ideas on cheaper solutions? 

I see Komoot has integrations with Garmin and Bryton, so only other thing I can think of is some large battery Chinese small smartphone (which with screen on for navigation may not really last that long, as my 5000mah phone that only lasted 3h from full when using Komoot app on a +3h EUC Ride).

It was a EX20S HT fast speed range test, which ended up being 137km (about 120km GPS if it had saved the route, which was lost due to phone dying). 

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community

• Jean eRide.ie Community changed the title to Long Distance Trip +3h GPS Map Navigation Device Options with Komoot

I'm waiting for them to deliver on their Kickstarter, but these folks aren't too far away from you. My plan is to either velcro the doodad to my wrist guard or to a something so I can see it on my helmet. We'll see how it works out.

They're pretty inexpensive, but for mapping you have to use their app.

https://global.beeline.co/pages/beeline-velo

BTW, the kickstarter backers were all whining about lack of Komoot support—maybe Beeline will do something, maybe not. But you can import gpx datafiles so there is a way to 'integrate'.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Not bad, but I'd prefer something that shows you the map, since seeing the context/surroundings it's easier to not get lost (like knowing it is the 2nd road to the left or if there is 2 road entrances on a right turn, to know which is the correct one, or roundabouts with 5 or more exits). 

In that case I'd recommend a cheap Android... I got a Moto Play 7 brand new for 100USD last year, its battery lasts a full day running EUCWorld (which uses GPS). It doesn't have a SIM card. Since Komoot will operate offline, it's definitely an option. If you don't need a decent camera, the older 'droids are almost disposable so there's no concern if they get wrecked. Armband 'cases' abound.

• Like 1

I use Moto G8 Power and this device will easily last entire day of riding and battery will still keep decent amount of energy left. When riding, I use it not only for navigation in Komoot (with screen active most of the time) but also for Facebook, web browsing, managing accomodation (Booking), looking for nearby restaurants/gas stations/groceries  (Google Maps) and for other apps (train timetables, buying train tickets, charging stations etc.). Also, I use it as a secondary phone in case my primary phone will fail or discharge prematurely, so there's prepaid SIM inside. Without network connectivity all the apps noted above woudln't work at all. Also, while in Komoot you can download planned tour for offline use, replanning or planning a new tour will require Internet connectivity. Of course, you can set up a hotspot in your primary phone and use it for sharing Internet with secondary phone running Komoot and all the apps you may need during your trip.

I think the only disadvantage is that this particular phone isn't fully weatherproof (it's specified as "splashproof"). This means that using it directly in pouring rain could lead to damage. To avoid it I place the phone in a plastic bag so I can still use it when riding in rain. Bike GPS computers have the advantage of being fully weatherproof.

• Like 1

oh. A general hint. If you don't have a SIM card in the phone, put it in airplane mode. WiFi will still work just fine, but it *really* saves battery to put it in airplane mode. Otherwise, the phone is searching for networks all the time and when its radios are all on, it eats battery. The G7 Play in airplane mode burns about 10% per hour running EUCWorld (connected to my Pebble with tour logging and CSV on, but the display is off), it'll outlast the EX20S, especially if you're moving with any kind of pace at all!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. 

It could be that my Huawei Mate20 Pro 4200mah battery is old and lost capacity, and also not using airplane mode when I did that ride. 

To be safe I've gone with a "super big" battery phone to complement the "super big" battery EUC :P

The Oukitel WP18 with 12500mah battery, which sells for 132€ delivered from China (Banggood) or 149€ from PhonesRugged.pt (BlackView Portugal/Spain).

Should resist water and drops (anyways, I'm avoiding riding on any risk of rain, since don't want to risk it with the EX20S) 

I'll probably use it only for EUC riding without SIM (using other phone hotspot for replanning of route when needed), so it will definitely last more than long enough. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oukitel WP18 with 12500mah battery is working great with offline Komoot saved routes. 

I'm also using this to have it as display of the wheel for GPS directions. https://www.amazon.es/dp/B095PCGDPJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

q6ydglt.jpeg

bRddm0b.jpeg

NqPcD2u.jpeg

7mwDlAF.jpeg

9JM7Jue.jpeg

COKuwcS.jpeg

• Like 1

SW: Mapy.cz, free App / desktop version (offline mode supported), great navigation for tourists, bikes (Im using it for EUC too) etc. in Czech and I heard also countries around (Slovak, Poland, Germany...).
Power source: some powerbank with very flexible cable ("fabric isolation") in my bag
Holder: dont have anything I could recommend (I like transparent cover for my phone on my forearm, but its limiting touchscreen)

• Like 1