Loctite & Silicon

1 hour ago, lazybones99 said:

What are you fine people using for these types of tasks?

We are using Silicone and Loctite. :D 

Regular "blue" loctite will be fine. And any silicone will work.. Doh if you can "see" the silicone, i recommend see true one.

Or black on black plastic..

Edited by Funky

Keep loctite away from plastic parts, unless it is specifically designed and stated for such. Some plastics simply vaporize from loctite. I use blue for fasteners, but not much if any, on potted chinesium parts. Most my body panels are held with a dab of bees wax, as I simply dont trust loctite near plastic and standoffs arent always willing to let loose of a bolt, before they let loose of the case/plastic holding it. Dont overtighten cast chinesium. The bolts tend to be a fraction harder and its all too easy to destroy chinesium threads. I've seen many a chinesium threaded hole, ruined by overtightening or even using simple medium strength loc-tite. The bolt quality of euc is total shit. Miraculously, the cast parts are somehow even worse...:facepalm:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I spoke to a car mechanic friend of mine and he says you only use Loctite to stop someone getting into an area manufactures don't want you to.

I must admit I had never used it on bikes or cycles in the past and have never lost a screw/bolt. You just need to tighten them correctly.

So although I had bought both blue and red thread locker I didn't bother using them in the end. More hassle trying to remove bolts with them than testing your bolts once in a blue moon. I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion which is fine. 

Edited by The Brahan Seer
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, lazybones99 said:

What are you fine people using for these types of tasks?

Vibra-Tite VC-6 thread locker is very well compatible with plastics (https://www.vibra-tite.com/products/threadlockers/removable-reusable-threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-6/). It is also removable with hand tools and 3-5 times reusable.

Don't use a silicon with acetic acid. There is a slight chance of metal corrosion involved.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Eucner said:

Vibra-Tite VC-6 thread locker

oof. That is expensive stuff! Is the VC-3 suitable? I like their pitch about 'vibration', since my wheel tends to get shook around sometimes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tawpie said:

oof. That is expensive stuff! Is the VC-3 suitable? I like their pitch about 'vibration', since my wheel tends to get shook around sometimes.

Actually I'm mostly using VC-3, but according to manufacturer it isn't compatible with all common shell materials. I think the risk of using VC-3 is low, when it is applied to bolt and let the solvent evaporate before tightening.

• Like 1