Replacing overheating motor connectors: Which type? Solder or crimp?

alcatraz

Hey fellow riders

I have a Tesla v1 with lots or black toasty areas around the motor connectors (only). I want to replace these old bullet/banana connectors with something better. I have never been able to even pull them apart, for fixing flat tires etc.

I saw a video from speedyfeet where they crimped on new connectors to the motor side only. 

Two problems.

1. No connectors are actually designed for crimping. 

2. I have the choice to choose anything (better) that can handle the current. 

I've been looking at the banana/bullet connectors in a 5mm size. These have no outer insulation. They require soldering. But I suppose if they're made out of soft copper I could try to crimp them. Althouth it doesn't appear safe as the cable only goes in a few mm.

R.thumb.jpeg.b504ec525cdb9ffcc1312c8d20a61be6.jpeg

There's also the option of using XT150 connectors. These are rated for high current and have an external housing which seems nice. No more effing around with questionable soft tubing ziptied around the connector.

300353117_R(1).jpeg.6e77b600c4a1fb20ae050b6b2c92ce92.jpeg

What have you used in the past? Recommendations? I'd avoid soldering if I could but it seems there's no good way around it.

Thanks for your input!

• Upvote 1

Maybe things have changed, but in order to get a "proper" crimp on a crimp-style connector, you used to have to use a special tool designed for that specific pin. If you don't have the special tool, I would trust solder more than just randomly smashing it with something else.

But times have changed so...

• Upvote 1

Hey Alcatraz,

While I think some riders do fine with crimp style connections, we tend to steer clear of that on the motor terminals. I know it's more hassle but its more secure, worry free, and less impedance to solder the motor wires in to a bullet connector of some kind. The silicone cover is not great so a better plastic housing would be a plus. 

You could buy a cheap weller 80w solder iron as that's what we use for this application.

Edited by Lesleigh Gonzales
Clarify
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lesleigh Gonzales said:

Hey Alcatraz,

While I think some riders do fine with crimp style connections, we tend to steer clear of that on the motor terminals. I know it's more hassle but its more secure, worry free, and less impedance to solder the motor wires in to a bullet connector of some kind. The silicone cover is not great so a better plastic housing would be a plus. 

You could buy a cheap weller 80w solder iron as that's what we use for this application.

Thank you. Which connector type would you use?

I could go with the exposed bullet connectors and put some heat resistant tubing over. OR go with some kind of XT150 or similar. XT150 is rated for nearly 100A continuous, and 130A temporary.

Edited by alcatraz

These connectors are all gold plated copper so they're soft. If I crimp them I can't use the housing anymore. So I understand why they're the way they are from the factory. Maybe just go that same route then.

Hey I might be able to solder them after crimping. That way the resistance goes down. I wonder if there's any point to that.

I've also thought about soldering the original ones. It would explain why only 2 of the 3 connectors are toasty. Only those two have high resistance. A bit of solder could maybe fix them all.

Hmm.. decisions.... 😅

13 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I agree that crimped terminals are better for vibration... but it depends on the wire, the terminal, and the supporting shell. 

Gotway motor cables are stiff, coarse-strand wires that were never meant to flex during use. And almost all of the available RC hobby bullet connectors are intended for soldered joints and are inappropriate for crimping. Finding 50A-rated crimp terminals in compact sizes is quite a challenge.

For the Gotway Tesla motor, I vote MT60 or MR60 (soldered). It's easy to use, and makes disconnecting and reconnecting the motor foolproof.

ct7fxt3.jpg  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFVA8ioztQdpkfunPEOgo

More options below.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/25914-inmotion-v11-motorcable-mod/?do=findComment&comment=396516
Screenshot_2021-12-10-17-37-06-87_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.thumb.jpg.275d0647c28c4e1d3d08688cd118c288.jpg

18 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Thank you. Which connector type would you use?

We would repair using the standard 4 mm bullet male and female that was mentioned but this means you have to solder the heat shrink which is good untill you have to yoink the motor again for maintenance. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Female-Bullet-Connector-Battery/dp/B071WK8TS2

Honestly quick disconnect is also a great way to go like what Raging grandpa mentioned. I would go with the MR60 vs the MT60 with bigger terminal cup as getting the stranded wire in the mt60 cup is a bit of a pain.  So if you have the extension motor wires from the CB then you could just remove the original connectors at the motor and solder the male/female connector in and be good to go. Tin the wire and the cup (just light tinning/ small fillet in the cup is all that is needed) then add some rosin and reheat the cup till it flows and insert wire. remove minimal insulation to leave about a wires width from the end of the top of the cup when wire is fully inserted. Good to measure before soldering up. HA!

Best of luck    

3 hours ago, Lesleigh Gonzales said:

We would repair using the standard 4 mm bullet male and female that was mentioned but this means you have to solder the heat shrink which is good untill you have to yoink the motor again for maintenance. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Female-Bullet-Connector-Battery/dp/B071WK8TS2

Honestly quick disconnect is also a great way to go like what Raging grandpa mentioned. I would go with the MR60 vs the MT60 with bigger terminal cup as getting the stranded wire in the mt60 cup is a bit of a pain.  So if you have the extension motor wires from the CB then you could just remove the original connectors at the motor and solder the male/female connector in and be good to go. Tin the wire and the cup (just light tinning/ small fillet in the cup is all that is needed) then add some rosin and reheat the cup till it flows and insert wire. remove minimal insulation to leave about a wires width from the end of the top of the cup when wire is fully inserted. Good to measure before soldering up. HA!

Best of luck    

Then nothing would be crimped. Hmm. What about the idea of using the original ones but crimp AND solder to reduce resistance? 

10 hours ago, alcatraz said:

crimp AND solder

Soldering makes the joint more vulnerable to cracking during vibration.

Soldering also makes a poor crimp less likely to pull out.

My conclusion was: if you have a good crimp (terminal, crimp tool, and matching wire type & size), never solder it. 
And if you don't, you might as well cheat by turning the crimp terminal into a solder terminal :) 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 1:18 AM, alcatraz said:

Then nothing would be crimped. Hmm. What about the idea of using the original ones but crimp AND solder to reduce resistance? 

I mean, when it boils down to it the difference in solder vs crimp in this scenario wont make a huge difference as far as resistance. I've done both in my career but soldering is my preference. If you used a proper crimp tool on a terminal that can handle it for crimping then that should be fine. However, if you want to go that route then you may have to forgo the quick disconnector idea. Yes, I vote to crimp and solder, you will never be able to pull them out! HA. Some of the MOTs come from the factory with solder and a slight crimp also so its very doable. Hope that answers your question.