KS-18XL vibration while trolleing and riding

Hello all,

I recently bought an used 18XL (900 usd) that had a v1.1 mainboard and showed the vibration while using the trolley handle problem and there is a slight vibration sometimes when riding. The firmware was updated to the latest version but the vibration was still there, so the next step was changing the mainboard for a newer one, where the vibration issue should be resolved. But the vibration is still there.

What should be the next steps? motor swap? battery problem? is there anything else that could be checked?

I have a video of the issue with the original mainboard that I can post if you find it useful.

• Like 2

Besides firmware, that you've already tried it can be two things (based on my experience with the 16X)

• pedal hanger screws got lose
  • inner shell is cracked around the pedal hangers

If tightening the pedal hanger screws are not solving the problem (make sure to not torque them too hard which would damage the plastic of the inner shell), then it's possible you might need to replace the inner shell, and some cracks might be visible around the pedal hanger areas.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have heard this "Issue" before. He also thought that motor/hall sensor was bad..

BUT at the end his whole "casing" was broken/cracked..

Remove batteries and check around "L" hangers if there are no big cracks.. The guy who had the same issue before saw that whole case was cracked around "L" hangers when he removed the batteries. Worth checking...

Check out this tread >> second page >> May help?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry for the late reply.

The inner shell was indeed cracked and was replaced, and the pedal hangers where tightened as well. The board seems to be firm, so it "should" be fine.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Vibration even at low speed when trolleying.

Might be a hall sensor deteriorating.

Might need to replace it.

How many kms has it done?

The wheel has 5000 km, so it's not a "new" wheel, but the battery health is good and appart from the cracked inner shell that was replaced and the vibrations everything looked ok.

Do you have a guide on how to replace them? or a new motor is a better bet?

47 minutes ago, Paul A said:

If the plastic casing is broken/cracked, glue it back together?

What glue would be used?

Fabric + epoxy (2 compound glue) = best result as you make that part more robust..

Or soldering iron the plastic together = easy fix, but plastic becomes more brittle.. So it will break again in time.

Also sanding down the area "gloss" will let the glue stick better. More rigid area (scrapes, etc..) more glue bonding.

My dad shell was cracked. Sanded down area, fabric + regular moment glue. Still holding.

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Paul A said:

Ok, thanks Funky.

Will search YouTube for some videos on the Fabric+Two Part Epoxy glue method.

BTW They also have "special" fabric that starts to melt with epoxy.

Same method but on euc broken part. >> 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Paul A said:

YouTube search: "EUC replace hall sensor"

Might need to try a few YouTube search terms.

Might need to view a few videos.

Here's one video that was useful.

Will look into it and do some research.

8 minutes ago, Funky said:

BTW They also have "special" fabric that starts to melt with epoxy.

Same method but on euc broken part. >> 

The shell is already replaced but for future cracks this seems way cheaper and faster than waiting for parts to arrive.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't know, but I really don't believe the hall sensors are the problem. The board still moving against the motor is more likely, especially if this wheel has a crash history.

I took it to the original reseller and he has a 16X with the exact same problem, the board seems firm, it's a v2 plus board, and the vibration is still there. So they are investigating what it can be, and a full check of the motors and wiring is on it's way.

If I end up knowing what is causing the problem I'll report back.

• Like 3