Is Begode still Bebad?

RooEUC

I see the occasional comments around this forum such as "EUCs won't burn your house down, as long as you stay away from Begode" and other comments from some people saying they consider Gotway/Begode to be unreliable (but in harsher language).  As someone with my eye on the Mten3 who is also very risk averse, I wonder if there's any merit to these comments, or if the troubled times of Gotway are behind us now.  I remember there did seem to be a higher than typical amount of issues with this brand 3 or 4 years ago.

I wanted to post this in a more general sub-forum, but the rules require it to be posted in the Begode forum, which will probably mean there's going to be a positive bias to such discussions, but I would still like to hear your opinions as you have experience with this brand.

Edited by RooMiniPro
  • Like 1

They might be safer now but only time will tell. If you want a begode you can get one with aftermarket packs or buy a model that hasn't had any fires reported (and obviously isn't a brand new model that no one has owned for a fair amount of time yet)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

with my eye on the Mten3

That's from a time before Begode and Bebad so... yes, I look at my Mten with suspicion but it's unwarranted.

They had a bad stretch with some of their 900WH packs, enough so that eWheels wouldn't sell them and embarked on their own recall. Since then though, their newer wheels haven't had the fire problem but the bar for Begode 'quality' is very low. Make the adrenaline pump gallons and literally all else is forgiven. From what I've seen there's more room for Begode to improve their general assembly practices in order to keep pace with their competition, and their industrial design is starting to happen but hasn't quite found its new signature look but they're coming along. Stripped down raw performance is still their bread and butter. Marketing and timing and looks, not so much.

I'm hoping they get things sorted out because they showed the entire industry that it was possible to make something that wasn't a mere toy and for that alone we owe them a great big "thank you". Right now though, they're scrambling. If Master is close to what is hoped for, they'll be fine.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

It appears that a vast majority of the Begode risk is with the 900Wh packs with LG M50T cells. Get any other kind and the chance of fire should be less. I'm not blaming the cells. But the statistics seem to indicate that those M50T 900Wh packs have a certain set of circumstances that can potentially lead to fire.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

It appears that a vast majority of the Begode risk is with the 900Wh packs with LG M50T cells. Get any other kind and the chance of fire should be less. I'm not blaming the cells. But the statistics seem to indicate that those M50T 900Wh packs have a certain set of circumstances that can potentially lead to fire.

I'll blame the cells, or at least the management and connection of them. I could be wrong tho, flip a coin.

I have some first gen mten3's, 18xl and V1 Sherman. I am pretty sure NONE of these are using the newer 'troublesome' cells. Even if its not a cell issue, so far the mtens are being reported as NOT one of the common to self ignite. Maybe its because the Mten chooses to simply beat itself into the pavement and eat ankles instead? Perhaps its because the mten pack is a really small pack with very few parts and good physical protection? Hell, I dunno. I do think the mten is as safe a bet as most, concerning fires.

My opinion of Gotway and their QC overall.... well... I plead the fifth. I like to think the mten is a bastard wheel and thus isnt technically a Gotway. All lies I know, but it makes me feel safer when atop it.

@RooMiniPro Just get one. You know you are going to sit there and think about it for so long and eventually do it anyhow. It should be a cheaper wheel, but the alure is just too great. Being invited to join the mten in the Gotway dance, is just simply something you HAVE to experience. Sadly, you may find yourself not walking anywhere anymore, youll be traveling by mind control. :blink1:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I'll blame the cells, or at least the management and connection of them. I could be wrong tho, flip a coin.

I have some first gen mtens and 18xl and Sherman. I am pretty sure NONE of these are using the newer troublesome cells. Even if its not a cell issue, so far the mtens are being reported as NOT one of the common to self ignite. Maybe its because the Mten chooses to simply beat itself into the pavement and eat ankles instead? Perhaps its because the mten pack is a really small pack with very few parts and good physical protection? Hell, I dunno. I do think the mten is as safe a bet as most, concerning fires.

That's not an unreasonable position.

I read that the S20 is using M50LT cells. That's a high power machine and similar cells.

Also what of EX.Ns? Are there any fires reported? If they're immune even with the suspect packs, it could be that the cells aren't run as hard because there are more of them.

Tesla T3 packs are supposed to have 21700 cells, likely M50T. Haven't heard of any fires. Low power wheel perhaps?

The V11 and S18 supposedly have M50T cells. The V12 I think could have M50T cells but I don't know. I'm thinking no, because it's been pushed really hard and only really had board failures (to my knowledge).

They're relatively high performing. (The V12 is very much so.) Fires? Dead packs?

@RooMiniPro I finally caved after six years of Ninebots and finally bought an MCM5v2 from eWheels with upgraded battery packs. So far it's been great! Personally, I don't see the appeal of the Mten, but a zippy little 14" is a lot of fun and very nimble.

24 minutes ago, litewave said:

@RooMiniPro I finally caved after six years of Ninebots and finally bought an MCM5v2 from eWheels with upgraded battery packs. So far it's been great! Personally, I don't see the appeal of the Mten, but a zippy little 14" is a lot of fun and very nimble.

Have you owned an mten? It surprised me, how fun it was. The Mcm5 is a nice little wheel too, altho its just simply not quite the same. Perhaps the Mcm5 isnt limiting enough and it results in less 'charm' and more 'balls'. Mcm5 is probably a much better wheel than the mten, if you could have only one...

11 hours ago, litewave said:

@RooMiniPro Personally, I don't see the appeal of the Mten, but a zippy little 14" is a lot of fun and very nimble.

The only reason I'm interested in it is because it can be put into an ordinary backpack, freeing both hands once I get to my destination.  If not for that, I would not even consider buying it, given that I could get a larger, more comfortable and safer wheel for the same money.

• Like 1

It's important to put some perspective on this.

Fires, even with the infamous 900wh LG m50t packs by gotway/begode, are RARE. If you don't abuse your wheel and are mindful about battery health, there's an expectation that you'll be fine. While there are examples out there that apparently burst into flames without any fault of the user, the majority of these fires are reported with risk factors such as: water damage, extreme use, a dead cell that was ignored, etc. 

It's my personal opinion that you mitigate your risk more by being aware of the risk factors and avoiding them. Not by avoiding whole brands in a broad sweep. 

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

As someone with my eye on the Mten3

MTen3's use 18650-size cells. They've been very reliable in the past. Don't submerge it, and otherwise don't worry.

For any EUC, fire safety should be a consideration whenever you charge and store it. Lots of ideas to consider are available here: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/tags/fire safety/

14 hours ago, alcatraz said:

The V11 and S18 supposedly have M50T cells. The V12 I think could have M50T cells but I don't know.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/25541-begode-900wh-battery-recall-options/?do=findComment&comment=392551

M50T is the older cell model and is no longer in production. 

The currently-used 21700 LG cell is called M50LT, a new variant of their 5,000mAh high-capacity 21700. No fires reported yet...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Have you owned an mten? It surprised me, how fun it was. The Mcm5 is a nice little wheel too, altho its just simply not quite the same. Perhaps the Mcm5 isnt limiting enough and it results in less 'charm' and more 'balls'. Mcm5 is probably a much better wheel than the mten, if you could have only one...

No, and I have never tried one but would like to if I had the chance. Maybe you'll let me ride yours? :D

I'm sure it would be a lot of fun but I don't have a use case for it, so would never buy one. I use my wheels primarily for daily errands and short excursions, but hope to have more play time again some day :crying:

Edited by litewave

6 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

M50T is the older cell model and is no longer in production. 

Did only Begode get the older cells? Hmm...

Does anyone remember what other wheels launched around the time of the MSP/Nikola? That's when M50T was common. Were all of them 18650?