(Diagnosis help)EUC powers on .....but wheel doesn't spin

AlabamaEUC

(My first post!)

Hello all

I own an IPS i5 and love the little thing. 

QUESTION:

What could cause the EUC to....

• Power & stay on (auto shuts down after a couple minutes of non use)
  • Display tail & headlight (can freely turn headlight on & off via tilt)
  • Alert when on the ground horizontal
  • Freely rotates by hand without wobble
  • Charges as normal

but

• the wheel doesn't spin ...nor by extension self balance

CONTEXT:

• Used(purchased/shipped by plan from Singapore)
  • Owned for 4 months
  • Current issue has lasted for 6 days

The wheel was running fine as I only use it twice a week to get around campus. I rode it to the library fine and when I left I turned the wheel on but it wouldn't self balance nor spin. Hence this post

I've tried removing all screws and opening the wheel but the case will not lift away from the body. It's almost like someone glued it in place. I've sprayed lubricant on the axel which help a little? but still can fully remove it.

Below is video of how it should pop right off after unscrewing

....again, after opening it I still have to figure out why the wheel won't spin.

Thanks for any help

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, AlabamaEUC said:

I've tried removing all screws and opening the wheel but the case will not lift away from the body. It's almost like someone glued it in place.

The tech in the video had a bit of a struggle getting it open too... you may have to try to find a spot that'll let you slip a box cutter blade in, pry a bit to allow something larger in (putty knife?), pry a bit more and work your way around the shell. There's always some risk that you forgot to take out a screw or that there's a plastic 'catch' holding a section together so you don't want to get all Rambo with it. I don't see any catches or other impediments in the handle area so you should be able to get the box cutter in there without too much danger (stop the video so you get an idea where the internals are so you don't cut them with the box cutter!).

I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of sealant wasn't run along the joint before they screwed it together. Well, actually it would be a little surprising because it'd improve the water resistance and who does that? After you get a box cutter blade into the seam, you could try running it along the seam to cut/break any material that might be gluing the halves together.

It's kind of grit your teeth and use more force time.

This is bad advice, but it works for some people: If it won't work, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Edited by Tawpie

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

If it won't work, force it. If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Haha. I know exactly what you mean. It's the way of the curious. Quick question, how many times have you experienced an annoying reassembly because of this? "shouldn't have broken this like that, grrr" :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

how many times have you experienced an annoying reassembly because of this?

More times than I'm proud to admit. It's small solace, but I always blame somebody else. It's never, ever, my fault. Must be bad design, or sloppy assembly, or poor instructions... yeah, that's it.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

case is now off so that side issue is now a nonissue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the main part of my question...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION:

What could cause the EUC to....

• Power & stay on (auto shuts down after a couple minutes of non use)
  • Display tail & headlight (can freely turn headlight on & off via tilt)
  • Alert when on the ground horizontal
  • Freely rotates by hand without wobble
  • Charges as normal

but

• the wheel doesn't spin ...nor by extension self balance

CONTEXT:

• Used(purchased/shipped by plan from Singapore)
  • Owned for 4 months
  • Current issue has lasted for 6 days

The wheel was running fine as I only use it twice a week to get around campus. I rode it to the library fine and when I left I turned the wheel on but it wouldn't self balance nor spin. Hence this post

• Like 1

Honestly, I think the board is just broken. Either that (likely) or some loose/broken wire somewhere (unlikely, but worth checking). The majority of board failures are a simple and obvious fried board, but often enough "just stopped working properly" happens. Looks like you have that.

IPS unicycles are (or rather were) known for high failure rates (or at least zero support after a sale) like you are experiencing. Can you get a new board somehow? Ideally on warranty or for a reduced price from your seller.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

I saw a speedyfeet video of a gotway that wouldn't balance and it was the motorwires that didn't make a well enough contact. Owner switched the board and the new board had slightly different connectors. The shop just changed to the proper connectors and then it was fine.

I'd just open it up and look at the solder joints for the motor wires, and inspect the wires all the way to the motor. If there are connectors along the way, make sure they fit snugly. 

Self repair doesn't have a high chance of success but as you said, it's a pity to not even have a look.