Thunking sound from KS16S

Robert Franks

Welcome to the forum. No, no clunks from mine. Very quiet.

Best,

P.S. first thing jumps to mind is valve stem sticking out where it shouldn’t.

Then again, that would be more of a “snick,snick, snick than a thump.

Do you feel it through the pedals ? Or is it just a sound ?

Maybe try and off the ground spin test,too.

Edited by OldFartRides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When inflating the tyre, the angled valve needs to be pulled outwards to make the connection.

This can leave the valve on the KS16S protruding out afterwards, and can sometimes make contact with the plastic outer shell/casing.

To avoid damage to the valve stem in case it does strike/impact, one option is to ride the wheel in the direction whereby the valve is trailing.

One way to make it easier to inflate, is to purchase and use a valve extender that can be screwed on easily.

As mentioned by OFR, the noise would be a 'snicking' sound, not a thumping sound though.

Image 1 - Popular 2x car motorbike tyre valve extension adaptor 90 degree angle silver Dn

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses.  I will check the valve stem.  The "thunk" feels more internal.   I can feel it in the pedals.  It has been doing this maybe ever other time I ride it.  Did a 15 mile run yesterday.   No thunks.  In any case, I will check the valve stem.  That is the most likely cause.  Thanks for the share.  Enjoy the ride.  Cheers,  Bob

A noise from the wheel, who would’ve thunk? :lol:

If the sound is not related to the tire revolution, my suspect are the bolts that attach the pedal hangers to the axle.

If not, there are a few other possible reasons. Can you get the noise to sound in a video?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have KS-16S (7k+ km), here is my summary for these sounds: valve+mug (very often), mug (together with small stones from winter care of ways against ice), twigs/branches, nail/glass particulary in a tyre.

• Thanks 1

Next time I go for a ride I will bring my 360X2 and see if I can capture it. I have plenty of clearance between the tire stim on case, so that is not a problem.  I don't think it is the bolts for the pedals.  I have had  wheel apart several times to change the tire and am confident that these bolts are tight. The "thunk" occurs at different speeds while on a flat surface while underway.  Sometimes the "thunk" is subtle, sometimes more definitive.   The wheel never loses balance.  The wheel is four years old with 2500 miles.  This has been going on the last six months.  Not a show stopper, but OK, what's going on here?  The wheel has had its share of crashes, but driven reasonably conservative.   Thanks for all of your suggestions.  

• Like 1