"Is that a unicycle? One passed me at 45mph earlier..."

gon2fast

This quote was from a recent visit to the grocery store. Maybe good, maybe not, but I was a bit embarrassed having to answer for that type of riding. It is not what I do, but not stopping the next person (wear your gear though!).

• Like 2

I find no issue with admitting it may have been. Same with motorcycles and cars, just because they are capable of it, doesnt mean we assume everyone drives them at top speed. They must not have been to upset, as they asked you rather than attacked you. They also didnt mention they saw YOU pass them at 45mph. Shoulda told them to speed up and quit getting in the way..:eff02be2d7:

21 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

45 on the roadway, not an issue. The risks are almost entirely on the rider. 

30+ on a bike path? Dick move, you know there are children and people walking dogs all over the paths, your creating a serious safety risk.

Speed itself is fine, its all about the situation 

Agreed. I don't go over 30 on the paved canal or bike paths near me, but will rip it at 40 on the street when applicable

On 1/17/2022 at 12:12 AM, GoGeorgeGo said:

45 on the roadway, not an issue. The risks are almost entirely on the rider. 

30+ on a bike path? Dick move, you know there are children and people walking dogs all over the paths, your creating a serious safety risk.

Speed itself is fine, its all about the situation 

I will get up to 30 in the wide open areas where I can see if there's anyone on or even near the path, but its rare to get up that fast for me. I do not ride in the road where I can help it, maybe the last 1/2 mile on of my way to work where there is no pathway. 

The issue with me and riding 30/35/40+ in traffic is that I personally do not feel that I have the skills to react fast and sensible if things go wrong. I do admit that I go pretty fast on protected bike paths (20-30mph) if there are no pedestrians or other traffic.  Otherwise, if I am in traffic I keep it 15-20mph because I don't trust drivers... you can add pedestrians, bikers and animals to that bucket as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

The issue with me and riding 30/35/40+ in traffic is that I personally do not feel that I have the skills to react fast and sensible if things go wrong. I do admit that I go pretty fast on protected bike paths (20-30mph) if there are no pedestrians or other traffic.  Otherwise, if I am in traffic I keep it 15-20mph because I don't trust drivers... you can add pedestrians, bikers and animals to that bucket as well.

Always ride at your comfort level. A common mistake riders make is trying to do more then their ready for. (Ex trying to keep up with someone else.) 

While riding in traffic isn’t for everyone just keep in mind that “keeping it 15-20mph” while on a public street that has a higher speed limit then your traveling now makes you a moving road block that cars have to go around. Keeping up with the traffic around you is much safer then relying on drivers to be aware of your presence to successfully navigate around you. 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Always ride at your comfort level. A common mistake riders make is trying to do more then their ready for. (Ex trying to keep up with someone else.) 

While riding in traffic isn’t for everyone just keep in mind that “keeping it 15-20mph” while on a public street that has a higher speed limit then your traveling now makes you a moving road block that cars have to go around. Keeping up with the traffic around you is much safer then relying on drivers to be aware of your presence to successfully navigate around you. 

This. I keep enough of distance that I can scan the road for potholes and such, brake in time/swerve if need, all while maintaining speed with traffic (if my wheel can handle it). I feel safe doing so and do city street riding all the time, especially moreso now that the canal and bike paths where I live don't get plowed.

• Like 1