Sherman Low Speed Tilt Back

InfiniteWheelie

During a ride I had stopped for a few minutes, then got back on to continue riding. I rode a few feet and did a tight turn, getting ready to speed up and take off. Suddenly my wheel started quickly tilting back. It tilted so much I had to hop off and grab the bar, but it continued tilting and rolling forward until it seemed like the back was almost hitting the ground. I believe it beeped at that point (maybe before I forget), and the wheel turned off. I paused for a bit and turned the wheel on and off a couple of times and everything seemed normal. There weren't any problems for the rest of the ride.

Has this happened to anyone else, or do you know what happened? It seemed odd and I don't know what caused it.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

Yes, happened while going through a door a grocery store. Was trolleying the wheel and moments after passing through the door (sensors) the wheel began an aggressive tilt back that did not stop until I hit the power button. I have been through that same door hundreds of times sense without issue so no idea what the heck happened, but it sucked. I always think about that when going through the automatic doors. Can't imagine that happening while riding...

Not the same (not mounted), but same experience with how the wheel behaved.  

Edited by gon2fast

(Some batches of) the KS18(X)L had strange electromagnetic influence problems, too?!

1 hour ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

Has this happened to anyone else, or do you know what happened? It seemed odd and I don't know what caused it.

There was no reason shown on the display? Did you look at the app for abnormal values reported?

The behaviour sounds like an overtemperature tilt back. Should be unlikely at this time of year in canada, but not absolutely impossible - depending on the track history.

42 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Yes, happened while going through a door a grocery store. Was trolleying the wheel and moments after passing through the door (sensors) the wheel began an aggressive tilt back that did not stop until I hit the power button. I have been through that same door hundreds of times sense without issue so no idea what the heck happened, but it sucked. I always think about that when going through the automatic doors. Can't imagine that happening while riding...

Not the same (not mounted), but same experience with how the wheel behaved.  

I'm kind of glad to hear this, because it also happened to you at a very slow speed. Hopefully that means it won't happen while riding any faster.

15 minutes ago, Chriull said:

(Some batches of) the KS18(X)L had strange electromagnetic influence problems, too?!

There was no reason shown on the display? Did you look at the app for abnormal values reported?

The behaviour sounds like an overtemperature tilt back. Should be unlikely at this time of year in canada, but not absolutely impossible - depending on the track history.

I don't believe there was anything on the screen. I'm pretty sure I thought to look, but I think the wheel had turned off by itself. I haven't checked any apps. There's no chance it was an overheat. It's very cold here and I'd been out for a long while. I wasn't riding aggressively either. I had just got back on the wheel, rode a few feet, turned 90 degrees to cross the road, then as I started crossing it began.

I'm glad I was going very slowly when it happened (a fast walking speed maybe). If that ever happened at speed I'd be screwed. It tilted back an extreme amount. I was holding the back bar and it felt like the back was almost going to hit the ground before it shut off. The tilt back didn't stop the wheel either, it kept rolling forward at a similar pace to when I hopped off.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie