Do your toes go numb while riding?

BKW

I've noticed when I ride sometimes that my toes go numb. The main reason this bothers me is because I can't feel my foot placement on the pedals, and often I have to look down to confirm my feet aren't too forward or backwards. I feel less secure and stable on the wheel if I can't feel my feet.

Any tips to help with this, or is this just normal? I ride in "hard mode" on a 16x with the stock pedals.

Hi, 

not on shorter rides, but yes on the longer rides. On my trip earlier this month I could extend my riding time a certain amount by raising toes and opposite heel/ and switch/, but then I would have to just dismount and walk for a half mile or so to get feet and legs limbered up. By the third day I was walking after every three or four miles of riding. I learned I won’t be a habitual long haul euc rider !

Keep moving your feet around… and experiment with footwear. I’m pretty sure the numb comes from standing in one position for too long? And as @OldFartRides mentioned, don’t be averse to stepping off and walking a bit—take in the scenery!

Edited by Tawpie

Numbness may be due to constriction of blood flow.....perhaps from footwear, laces too tight, clenching the sides/pads of the wheel too tightly with legs, etc.

Google searches and first results.

Query:  What causes the toes to go numb?

Result:  The most common cause of toe numbness is direct compression of the nerves of the foot from footwear from shoes. Numbness of the toe can occur because of injury to the foot, nerve damage (neuropathy), and poor circulation to the foot (such as with diabetes and peripheral vascular disease).

Query:   Does lack of blood circulation cause numbness?

Result:  One of the most common symptoms of poor circulation is numbness and tingling in the hands and feet. When something is restricting the flow of blood, and blood cannot reach the extremities in sufficient quantities, a person may also have a sensation of pins and needles.

Query:  Can lack of blood flow damage nerves?

Result: Over time, reduced blood flow in your extremities can cause: Numbness. Tingling. Nerve damage.

May need to further check results for veracity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Numbness may be due to constriction of blood flow.....perhaps from footwear, laces too tight, clenching the sides/pads of the wheel too tightly with legs, etc.

Interesting. My shoes are very thin. I do imagine my toes would fare better with more cushion from things like thick socks, ticker soles, etc. I'll try that out.

I use silicone insoles in all my footwear. I spend a lot of time standing around on concrete and they help. I’m able to ride for a few hours on my wheel before getting foot numbness. I’ve found shifting my feet around and getting them in different positions helps the most. I also have my wheel settings on commuting and my pedal sensitivity way down. Instead of and hard options. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

I use silicone insoles in all my footwear. I spend a lot of time standing around on concrete and they help. I’m able to ride for a few hours on my wheel before getting foot numbness. I’ve found shifting my feet around and getting them in different positions helps the most. I also have my wheel settings on commuting and my pedal sensitivity way down. Instead of and hard options. 

Yeah, I was thinking of switching to a softer mode to get a better feeling on my feet when the pedals dip a bit. It could also possibly promote more blood flow circulation. Wheel setting on commuting? Not sure what that is. I use EUC World app. Will have to look into it.

It might be an inmotion thing. I ride a V11 I have zero knowledge of any KS stuff. It allows for the petals to shift and dip a lot more than the hard settings. It makes for a softer cruising type ride. 

Not much anymore but sometimes when I was a total noob. Much more common on my mten, as I micromanage it more. Fatigue will lesson as you condition physically and once you relax mentally. I'm a slow learner, but even so... 3 yrs and Im beginning to not have the same pains nor do I overgrip the wheel. Make sure you arent curling your toes and trying to grab the plates with them.

Contributing factor might be:

Heart pumps blood flow outwards to the cells via the arteries.

The blood's inward return trip to the heart via the veins relies on a different propulsion.  The veins have one way valves along it.

Movement of muscles provide contractions/releases, that squeeze the blood back to the heart.

No numbness from walking.

When standing fairly motionless on an EUC for extended periods of time, perhaps the lack of muscle movement, contraction, releasing, squeezing of blood, restricts blood flow and the replenishment of oxygen.

• Like 1

Silicone insoles used by HK on concrete floors. 

Might be akin to a mattress and pillow, in softening and spreading the load.  Would be difficult to sleep on a concrete floor.

Feet on an EUC might be suffering bed sore.

______

Bed sore
Also called: pressure ulcer

Injury to skin and underlying tissue resulting from prolonged pressure on the skin.
People most at risk are those with a condition that limits their ability to change positions.

A sore developed by an invalid because of pressure caused by lying in bed in one position.

From google queries.

Varicose veins are twisted, enlarged veins. Any superficial vein may become varicosed, but the veins most commonly affected are those in your legs. That's because standing and walking upright increases the pressure in the veins of your lower body.

Walking is especially good for people who suffer from varicose veins, due to the fact that walking is a very low-impact workout. There is no jarring or pounding of your legs — just a simple movement that helps strengthen your calf muscles without straining your body.

Illustrates that blood flow back from the lowest part of the body is more difficult as it needs to travel the most distance, vertically upwards, against gravity.

Lack of muscle movement would exacerbate.

_________

Yes, bedsores might be manifestations of cumulative damage.

Illustrates constant pressure can cause pain and damage.