Are these Samsung batteries? Brand new RS19 HS

Lets Do Science

Hey guys, first time posting so my bad if formatting is off and such. I bought a RS19 HS from euco last week, it arrived yesterday. I opened the wheel up to fix some broken screw holders and i noticed the batteries reading Samsung. I assumed these were going to be LG batteries? 

gYJ6T5g.jpeg

https://imgur.com/a/H99ZszE

Thanks

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(fixed bug in link generation)
  • Like 1

Hi and congratulations on the nice wheel! With broken screw holders already?

If I remember correctly, ewheels has custom packs built with the Samsung 48X instead of the LG cells, due to the fire problems the latest Begode wheels (with their standard LG packs) had. Whether the LG cells are to blame for the fires or it is something Begode did isn't entirely clear, but the 48X packs also have other improvements.

This is only speculation, don't take it as fact:

It looks like EUCO also got one of these improved wheels. Maybe they asked, maybe Begode offers these in the US now, maybe this is just a standard pack but with the 48X cells for some reason, maybe it's a coincidence.

This is good, you probably got better battery packs. You can always ask EUCO why you have these batteries and what exactly is going on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

With broken screw holders already?

Yes, and it's extremely upsetting. I don't think I did anything wrong I barely rode it, literally have had it for about 48hrs. I've actually discovered three different screw holders on the interior of the case - all on the same corner. I think there was too much pressure/force coming from that corner inside the wheel on that area which caused the plastic to snap. EUCO advised to either epoxy them back, get sent a new interior casing (which would be a huge undertaking, this is my first wheel i know nothing), or i could warranty it back to them and pay shipping. I haven't even heard back from EUCO since yesterday regarding any of this, so disappointed I just want to learn how to ride. Anyways, that's my story so far. I do think the new batteries might have something to do with the pronounced pressure being applied to the inside though. 

• Like 1

That sucks. Nothing worse than a new wheel with a problem, when you just want to ride the thing! Had that myself.

Yet all three options they gave you make sense. Personally I would go for the warranty repair/replacement and eat the shipping cost (if they are reasonable). In the end, you want an unbroken wheel. Or at least have EUCO send you a new casing (it better be free), you don't have to replace the old one right away, but then you have the (free) replacement part for later (you could still epoxy and use the old one if that works).

14 minutes ago, Lets Do Science said:

I do think the new batteries might have something to do with the pronounced pressure being applied to the inside though.

The battery packs should be the same outwardly, just using different cells inside. But maybe there is a subtle shape/size difference?

Just did some reading on the cells and you'll be pleased to hear that the 48X cells are way better than the M50T. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the M50T are contributing to the fires because they're low current cells (unsuitable for speed/acceleration demons or cold weather). 48X are medium current cells.

If you run a big pack like 2700Wh or more then it doesn't really matter but if you run lower capacity packs then yes it matters. 

M50T peaks below 15A (overheats) and 48X at 20A.

If you're pushing an 1800Wh M50T pack it's going to damage the cells easier than any other cell.

To put in perspective. Remember the old 1020Wh tesla packs and 1600Wh msx packs? They use Panasonic 18650GA cells. They peak at 13A with 4 in parallell for the tesla (52A) and 6 in parallell for the msx (78A).

An RS/Nikola 1800Wh with M50T cells will peak at 14.6 x 4 = 58.4A and with 48X cells at 19.9 x 4 = 79.6A. 

Considering that the peak currents for the older wheels is lower, it's easy to see that the packs aren't designed with the increased wheel performance in mind.

I'm curious about what cells the V12 uses.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hi and congratulations on the nice wheel! With broken screw holders already?

If I remember correctly, ewheels has custom packs built with the Samsung 48X instead of the LG cells, due to the fire problems the latest Begode wheels (with their standard LG packs) had. Whether the LG cells are to blame for the fires or it is something Begode did isn't entirely clear, but the 48X packs also have other improvements.

This is only speculation, don't take it as fact:

It looks like EUCO also got one of these improved wheels. Maybe they asked, maybe Begode offers these in the US now, maybe this is just a standard pack but with the 48X cells for some reason, maybe it's a coincidence.

This is good, you probably got better battery packs. You can always ask EUCO why you have these batteries and what exactly is going on.

Ewheels packs are samsung 50e

Begode oem packs can be lg m50t, samsung 50g, samsung 48x

M50T are ~ 14.5A

50E are ~ 17A

48X are ~ 20A

50G I believe are similar to 48X @ 20A.

If money is no option then look no further than Samsung 50S cells. Higher capacity than all of the above and they peak 30A. I bet you they're over twice the price if not more.

I saw there was a fire on a monster 3600wh (in the back of a car on the highway I believe). That is odd. Must have been unrelated to the cell type. Water intrusion?

Edited by alcatraz

10 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I saw there was a fire on a monster 3600wh (in the back of a car on the highway I believe). That is odd. Must have been unrelated to the cell type. Water intrusion?

The Monster Pro uses whatever 21700 cells the other Begode fire wheels also use. Or do you mean you don't expect a fire because it is 8p?

22 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Yes water ingress, the Monster was ridden in a wet condition and laid on the side.....:facepalm:

My monster pro came with all Samsung 50E packs. I took delivery back in October. The build date was in July. I think the monster pro that burned up in the boot of the car on the motorway was a demo wheel with user installed packs. 

On 12/29/2021 at 5:14 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

The Monster Pro uses whatever 21700 cells the other Begode fire wheels also use. Or do you mean you don't expect a fire because it is 8p?

• Like 1

Pity about the cracked shell. I would try to get EUCO to send you a replacement under warranty. As Meepmeepmayer says you don't need to replace it straight away. Eventually you will learn about your wheel, perhaps need to change a tire or something and you can replace the shell then.

Don't be upset about the Samsung 48x. From what I have read they are way better than the LG. The LG have quite low current so get stressed when drawing max power accelerating or braking this damages the battery and reduces its life.

One of the drawbacks of sending the wheel back for exchange the replacement may have LGs batteries so you can add that to the cost and delay.

Really EUCO should sort this out or do they feel it was damaged in shipping?

Hey David, so yeah EUCO actually are coming through for me on this. They produced a shipping label for me, free of charge, and my wheel is on its way back to Las Vegas for repair. The shell actually didn't break, it was only the (3) screw holders attached to the inner plastic part. Support says that the foam inside was too large and caused too much tension for the plastic. They offered to send me that piece for fix, but I assumed that would be an entire teardown which seems difficult so I just mailed it back. Still a huge bummer though having to wait another two weeks to ride, weather is now getting nasty here in KC. After doing some reading on here it seems like sending wheels back for warranty repair is a common occurrence in the EUC world, which is kinda concerning haha. 

1 hour ago, Lets Do Science said:

They produced a shipping label for me, free of charge, and my wheel is on its way back to Las Vegas for repair.

That's the best outcome! You paid for a new wheel, you should get one, with no extra cost.

1 hour ago, Lets Do Science said:

After doing some reading on here it seems like sending wheels back for warranty repair is a common occurrence in the EUC world, which is kinda concerning haha. 

Let's say quality control is no manufacturer's strength;) The good news is, once a wheel is up and running and confirmed good, it usually works perfectly from then on. Most returns are right at the start, when something wasn't right that a proper QC process would have caught. So once you get your new one and it's good, after 100 miles or so you would know if anything didn't work as expected, and it's all happy riding then.

• Like 1