S18 Battery Project: S18 XL | 20S4P (80 x 21700 cells) ~1484wh

misterdalto

S18 XL Battery Project

Project photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ct1hhpYLYmc9uDvq6

Ordered: 21700 cells, 2 x 10S packs
Added another 20S in parallel (wired both packs in series).
Each pack includes a BMS, so no funky wiring beyond the addition of a parallel connection.

Waterproofed all the exterior wiring. S18 will no longer be ridden seated as is. Worthy trade off for larger battery capacity. A little top heavy; reminiscent of the V12. You can feel the motor have more immediate torque/acceleration. The battery is top-mounted and should not be damaged in a fall unless the wheel does a full on roll/bounce situation.

Charges with stock or alternate aftermarket variable/fast chargers.

Before: 60 x 21700 cells

Rated capacity: 1110wh

Energy consumption (average): 26.9wh/mi

Range 0-100%: ~41 miles

After: 80 x 21700 cells

Estimated capacity: 1484wh

Energy consumption (average): 26.9wh/mi

Range 0-100%: ~54 miles

Battery packs ordered from AliExpress, requested an XT90 plug. You must specify a plug or you will be sent a default/no plug.

XT90 series and parallel connectors purchased via amazon.

In future projects, I may opt for smaller plugs (XT60, maybe even XT30). This would reduce cable component surface area and make accessibility more convenient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misterdalto said:

Fun to get more performance!
Looks scary at first blush, but doesn't seem particularly awful to me...
Non-name-brand cells, especially in the often-abused 21700 size, are my main criticism. Hopefully you found a safe storage spot ;)
I presume you leave the auxiliary packs connected permanently, which avoids issues of voltage-matching during reconnection.

Do you know- since the KS controller had separate inputs from the multiple packs, if a short circuit happens in the battery cables, can the controller continue operating?

This is a high-vibration application: do the packs use cell frames?

The packs are labeled "10S 2P" but are very clearly 10 cells only, each. What's the "2P" label about?

Thx for sharing

Edited by RagingGrandpa

Great that it works for you!

What is your strategy to get the both 10s packs in series to drift in voltage? Will you use an external balancer here?
I'm a bit confused by the description, there's an inconsistency somewhere: 2 x 10S packs + a 20s pack would be adding 30 cells, however later on you say it went from 60 cells to 80.

• Like 1