Loss of balance and beeping (msuper v2)

eried

Hi! twice I have experienced some weirdness, usually going down hill:

I feel that the wheel does not keep the balance (or it tilts more than normal backwards) and starts beeping when the tilt is too much and I have to stop and reset it. I tried calibrating it the first time, but the reset does the same.

Why?

It is a bit scary

21 hours ago, EUCandME said:

Does this happen when the battery is near full charge by any chance? Most wheels have regenerative braking and if you go down hills close to full charge it overcharges the battery. The tilting could be a safety feature to protect your battery. Or if the wheel is really unhappy it may lean completely backwards essentially telling you to get off.

Oh damn! that is the reason, it is always starting to ride because I live in a hill. Thanks a lot!!!

Just now, eried said:

Oh damn! that is the reason, it is always starting to ride because I live in a hill. Thanks a lot!!!

No problem at all! The easy solution is to just charge to about 80-90% and you will be good. If the hill is really large u may get to the bottom with more charge than you started with ahah. 

If you never charge to 100%, it's bad because it will never activate the cell balancing mode of the BMS, and over time your pack can be damaged and even become dangerous.

Better to fully charge, then "use" some of the power at the top of the hill.
It could be an opportunity to practice reverse riding, u-turns, acceleration and braking, pendulum maneuvers, etc.
Or, when the alarm activates, turn around and ride *up* the hill for a little while, then come down again.

• Like 2

When the wheel is new it's less likely you will need to charge to 100% (balance) but as the pack ages, that is required for longer and longer periods. Usually until the bms can't balance the pack anymore (which might have happened already for the OP).

If the wheel never complained before, going down the same slope with a full battery, then that is a sign for concern. It means the over-voltage situation happens easier now and that could mean an unbalanced pack.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

Yeah it is probably, I just bought an older wheel after liking riding in a super cheap airwheel x3, but I have no idea how a new battery pack will react. I could check individual cells, but runtime-wise I have ride about 25 km, in 1:40 hr. So I think the battery pack is not that unhealthy.

OPZsI6bn8vZAzHrVeH43s53zIOZ2xG8HuxMHh3zlvEsh1xX_I8tNR2e_qzhV7QAvQ3pi0VOLPi8CwVA_phjvCktMqdQDspSRFPIJRguh4tPY4nyGf8yj-izdueR8EeCUsV5zt_yBrQnB88ux2pcHNQkuulKxPa-fYP_dGIw5MOCc4xigC2VtMQSMCbwKh9ADvnXXqrgcsi27TSSYRSsjNPgkmNcuOerv8geQTnpYEgrk9vHq923oKk--6_7gEy91eL2vR8i-6UN86SMJ1bSBYWGgui9OboDL0bsfuPC7yD8VHzK_5KCBsseI8H2qKXGkHBHsxfBP_HPvLoIXNFdKgTszQWgmI2LNuj8dbdDLfBmXX130hg45ofC7KGLxJeZJmElDZayIHyxRAFrNLy1Or_zrbE2EawswU1nuZPGehZJBRUOCFzEGk12IHgaLS22oJcZ83SBfxpNNSt4KlJ32CM6Tf4s4xwYZDshfGj-r7QyT320ik8m87pyo7k7GH3iVL3CeTlG8ZsuUEazWFLD3FPdChQnm-iQsahX9YrwbDbZhgUIbrBNlQ6E_pnrplQuirQetHEVb8trjrbtV_rDIzQ1xkML6ZKWvGcbu7zpyV7z9-m1iszYE08Q5EN9vgpKNhFKIcXNPeSIuir_jdvf9oYEwGiwhIPHGyvEqTyxTp7lnWC_zl_wAMnXpNDhV5A5y9ieoGV1VdttyNLjsX7s2x8fc=w623-h1382-no?authuser=0

• Like 1