1000km inmotion v12 review

Mike Roe

Well I’m not burning the unit up with super speed. I generally don’t go over 50km/hr often.  I get about 80km range with 20% battery left on v12.   On the 16x I get about 70-80km but I’m going slower average speed then I do on the v12. 
   If I push the unit and constantly going close to 50km/hr, my range drops quite a bit. 
 For me, at 6’2” almost 250pds, if I just cruise around at about 30-35k, I get about a km per battery percentage point. 

If you drive these things at 20km/hr instead of 40-50km per hr, ur range is drastically increased.  Ranges tests are very subjective. 

Nice write up Mike, on the off road rides how does the torque compare to the 16x? 

I know the 16x is well regarded in the torque dept and the V12 has a more speed oriented motor, but more voltage, so I'm very curious. 

I'm considering the V12 for commuting. My RS torque is great off road but any light drizzle is a no go. The V12 sounds like the perfect commuter for darn near any weather. 

From your review it sounds like it would make my RS obsolete....but I love my RS too much to sell it. 

Torque is great.   I’m not the type to floor it full out though. At almost max weight I don’t jump or slam on the gas full out, I prefer to not wipeout. I have ridden the rs and it seems comparable. The Rs performance though is pretty dang good. V12 rides a little different. 

I ride with almost no gear, no pads, knock on wood it’s been 10,000 km without face planting. 

My main reason for buying the v12 was to have more room for error, some waterproofing, and just an upgrade on my very loved 16x. V12 is just smooth. 

16 minutes ago, Mike Roe said:

I ride with almost no gear, no pads, knock on wood it’s been 10,000 km without face planting. 

That's how my 70yr old dad rides too, wrist guards only, no face plants in about 3k miles but he has fallen from things he just didn't see, like new speed bumps that are all black.

I think you've sold me on a V12 once shipping returns to normal ish. I need to not fear water to commute again and it just splits that middle ground of portability, range and weight so well. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Some folks have V12 bearings issues Im told 

That’s the word.  I have a feeling the unit in general is waterproofed(batteries/control board etc) but the motor/bearings are maybe not up to snuff.  I haven’t had an issue yet. Riding thru puddles and creeks for sh$ts and giggles isn’t bright either. 

Mine is always stored in a heated room, standing up with the kick stand. 
I know storing your unit on its side after riding in rain isn’t the best.  My old ninebot wouldn’t dry out properly on its side. 

We will see… 

On 9/24/2021 at 11:55 PM, pressbyron said:

Nice review! What is the range as "similar to 16x" does not say me much :) Also what avg speed?

Really want this wheel probably will order it next year :rolleyes:

I think that say a lot. If you can ride at 10kmh average and having same range with a 250lbs rider that is not an easy feat.

Also top speed risk on the 16x is high compared to other wheels as KS buckled under to the request of speed which really wasn't the focus of the 16x. 

I understand not all have tested the 16x. But I like you set your review in comparison to what you had before. @Mike Roe. When doing this and making point like you have done here. It gives value vs the YouTuber clickbait gimmick faces and odd thumbnail pictures. 

To me this say a lot more and what I can expect despite it is a relative comparison. 

Now I am not looking at buying the V12. Since I prefer suspension and the V11s top speed surfice for me. 

But is is always nice to see what other riders think of their wheel. 🍻

• Like 1

Just got my V12 two days ago so my opinion might not be final. I'm the kind of guy that loves every wheel, but I really didn't like the 16x. The V12 is indeed a 16x killer in almost every way, except weight and of course, price...

I personally love the Nik+ a lot lot more than the 16x already. But most disagree with me. Anyway...

I must say I didn't have any wow impression on my first days with the V12. Indeed it is fantastically well build. Realty really top notch. The esthetics are fine, it is a nice looking wheel although I love the round Nikola shape better.

It does have a lot of torque, climbs hills like a charm, way better than my Nikola.

I don't like the trolley handle. In fact I don't like it either on the v10 or the v11. I don't want having to click and click again with my other hand to release it. Again I prefer the Nikola handle, so easy to grab. So Ive out a tie wrap on the release button so it stays loose. Added velcro below so it stays down during rides and is easy to grab and use.

As for the pedal hight it's a nice idea. I tried all 3 positions and I'm not sure yet. This wheel is tall and top heavy, prone to wobbles. So for now I prefer the low position but I'll try some more. I really don't like wobbles.

Also has a big gyro effect, not at all nimble as any other 16 inch. Hard to slalom and carve. I agree with Mike Roe it behaves like a 18 inch. I would say a bit like the z10 surprisingly..you have to fight it and really lean your center of gravity out to turn and carve.

The screen is nice. All wheels should have that. But hard to use. Hard to press the settings icon and while in the menu, I often change the speed and alarms limits when I just want to scroll down the menu for further options.

Pedal sensitivity is weird. At 1% it is unusable. At 100% behaves like "medium" Gotway mode. Pedals move a little while braking, accelerating. There doesn't seem to have a "hard" mode 

Of course it needs power pads. I use a custom narrow pad over the black removable plastic part on top. I don't like putting pads over the side lights, ruining the esthetics, same with the v11 which is utterly ugly with pads in the middle. But yet again, personal preference.

In the end I'm not sure yet to keep it. I'll give it another week. Usually it's instant love. I'll try again. But I find it hard to beat the Nikola , which has all it needs for a 16inch wheel anyway...

As for me, I'm 170pounds, 1m70 tall. I never drive fast, over 50kmh, or very seldomly, with my Sherman or RS. I have 10 wheels and the V12 is my latest. I like them all, they have all different utilities. The V12 will not be my offroad wheel ever. Too heavy. The v11 is meant for that (with knobby tire) although heavy too. The s18 (with knobby) is almost perfect but lack that extra torque the v11 has.

I would never use a 16inch wheel for speed anyway. I don't think they are meant for that. The V12 seems to have been made for that, speed in straight lines, and lacking agility.. seems like it wants to compete the 18+ inch wheels in speed, which is dumb..

So, kind of a mixed bag that V12.. but maybe I'll change my opinion here in a few days 

Edited by Eric plam
  • Like 1

Everybody’s experience is so different when relating to guiding the v12.   I find it to be very nimble, doing on the spot spin arounds and going backwards etc.

One of my best friends thinks it’s heavy and hard to maneuver, another thinks it’s super nimble.  

I wonder how much the tire has to do with this. I remember similar discussion with 16x. I only ever road the chao yang tire on the 16x. My v12 has the cx tire on it. 

Riding style and the size of the person probably makes a big difference to each persons experience. 

• Like 1

Indeed. I'll do some research on a good tire option that fits on the V12. Maybe it will change my opinion on it. As of now the tire looks a lot like the one on the v11 , which I didn't like and changed to a knobby..

It depends if your willing to buy used or only new. The V12 is not yet arrived at most sellers , so there's a wait.

V12 has a better build, maybe better autonomy.

Rs is extra stable and made for speed. Horrible trolley handle.

My RS torque is my do everything wheel because it runs cooler than speed version and can climb anything it gets traction on. 

If long climbs off road are not part of the planned riding then more speed would welcome for the road. 

The only thing I don't do with it is trolley, I have the trolley taped down to help keep dust out and to prevent it from piping out in cartwheel. 

The MCM 5 is still my favorite grocery getter! 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thank you all for being helpful and providing insight on these EUCs. There are great comments, information, and content on this topic thread. 

I also own both KS 16X and V12 HT, i agree and relate with much of what everyone shared. To add some context from my experience I was extremely torn on which one to purchase before having them. I was first introduced to these amazing EVs when looking for something that had more range and speed than the 9mile range 15mph speed GoTrax scooter i had, which was terrible.

My first EUC was the Gotway McM5 v2 which was surprisingly torqued, nimble, and amazingly fast for such a tiny wheel at 27mph. In my opinion, absolutely the perfect wheel for learning on. It still provided satisfying rides even after becoming proficient at riding. No doubt it was a fun little wheel that I even had a special backpack for it, to carry on public transportation during travel! Lol It helped with learning how these machines work, understanding the mechanics, learning to do tire changes and basically work on it yourself with a forgiving EUC alongside its lower end price.. I ended up zapping the battery terminal connector when getting water in the socket while doing routine tire change..R.I.P 

I chose the 16x after much research, weight consideration, and price comparison. I wanted a lighter wheel living on the 5th floor with no elevator. The first feel of any new EUC will feel a little strange as I felt like the 16x wasn't like that stiff ride spending thousands of miles learning on a McM5 v2. I did notice the higher quality of vehicle with more premium feeling build and material rather than the dinky plastic from the prior wheel. Ambient Lights are very bright, crisp, and really stand out especially at night. After getting used to for several dozen miles, I was very pleased with the overall EUC. It's perfect for urban neighborhoods, getting on and off Public transportation along with the wheel. Like you guys mentioned, Range is impressive and has plenty of battery especially if you are not consistently riding at the maximum end of the speed capacity. It's built like a damn Tank with that shell protecting it. The one issue I've had so far is the trolley handle is basically the only and main point of contact for lift, carry, transport, storage so the handle actually snapped off both the telescopic arms completely after being attached by the one side for several weeks. It is also the spin kill mechanism as well so in use of plastic material inside the telescope was a major design flaw. Aside from the trolley handle, the rest of the wheel is built tough and has even been in rain storms without a problem with me. Speakers are also very powerful especially when using a booster application for 20 percent increase! 😂

After handle malfunction, having two wheels seemed like best choice so you always have a backup in case of repairs or service needed. Especially if this is your main and only mode of transportation lol.. Black Friday special came around so Went for the Inmotion v12 HT. 

At first, I did not have a good experience with the wheel. I struggled to install the side pads that came stock with the wheel and was getting angry not being able to put in these pieces of hard plastic lol.. i got a good 15 mile ride but it was very sluggish and felt like I could not get it stop and go other than turtle pace slow. I rode it 15 miles home. I went to plug in the charger and heard a big spark/Arc of electricity. It began charging fine overnight.. i heard some sound and headlights flashing so thought it was just telling me that it's battery is full. I unplugged it. The next morning, power on without any issue. I go to unlock the door and it began flickering all of its lights, headlights, and screen was going on and off then died. I try to power up but nothing, no response, no sound, just a heavy brick. After half hour i try again but nothing electrical yet the motor was on, self balanced, and working although no screen, no lights, no spin kill but ridable. I didn't however because it was leaning forward and backwards like a mind of its own. I park it and planned to return it on the weekend when I had time.. When I went to power up everything was working fine as if nothing happened!.. I was baffled by how in the hell this device just repaired itself! How does a major malfunction just disappear. I've put over 160miles since last month 11/18/23 and still no problems. Was initially going to return it but had difficulties being i waited for over a week even though it was in same brand new condition as day 1 aside from that first 15mile ride. The wheel grew on me and decided to keep it back then and glad did so.. This wheel is an absolute beast and definitely most bang for your buck as far as EUC! It has thorough settings and adjustments to get it tailored to your ride specs ao once you get dialed in, its insane. Without power pads its definitely much harder to brake which was a huge problem for me. Did not like how long it takes to stop so end up overshooting wherever you are trying to stop at. I set mine to Commuter mode, split ride off with 100 percent pedal hardness and it rides much better for me. Another note is i left pedal position at highest level up and it is actually better for me there and Worth getting used to it. It shows a mile per battery percent but my torque model definitely drains faster than the 16x.

Overall fantastic wheels, the both of them, Thank you sincerely for letting me share. Hope anything from this gives you a little more clarity and helps you with your decision on your next purchase