"Soft" brakes on 2nd gen KS s18 (?)

WoobleWaltz

I recently learned to ride on my husband's V2 Tesla. Finally, I broke down and purchased a 2nd gen KS s18 so we could start riding together. Overall, I like the s18, but the one thing I can't seem to get used to is its brakes. I feel like I can stop on a dime with my husband's Tesla, but with the s18, braking seems spongy and many times I'm still moving a bit when I end up dismounting. I'm riding with "experient/hard" settings and I would imagine that to be the most responsive mode...

I'm curious if anyone else has felt the same way about the s18? Is it known for having spongy brakes? Any suggestions on how to improve the experience?

• Like 2

@OldFartRides yeah, for some reason I had only thought of power pads as being something for "aggressive go forward"  (e.g.: jumps or ultra-rapid acceleration), for which i'm not quite there yet, but after seeing the difference of braking with clenched legs vs just applying a heavy shift of weight to heels, I can see how they might have a benefit to braking as well.

I do like those spiffy quilted leather Russian pads ;-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WoobleWaltz said:

I can see how they might have a benefit to braking as well

Oh, absolutely! That’s what I use my pads for the most. The way I see it, I’m never in such a hurry to go somewhere that I’d have to accelerate at the absolute max lean, but I’m well aware that despite riding very defensively all the time, the situation may come where I absolutely need to stop as far as possible.

I have my DIY brake pads at the very top of the wheel’s side to maximize the lever I can pull back on them with.

• Like 2