Battery lifespan?

Freeforester

Sorry to hijack, and happy to start a new thread, but is there any data or information gathering as to the anticipated or average (!) lifespan of our wheels’ battery packs?

I ask because of the concerns raised by Begode’s recent statement and advisory, in which it suggests, inter alia, that battery packs ‘should’ be replaced every year (my parentheses); I personally regarded this as little more than a general ‘belt and braces’ , best-practice type of advice, of course with an in-built disclaimer should things go wrong before any 2-year store warranty is up, but it got me wondering about the value of a used wheel being offered with a battery pack that is  practically on its way out, etc.     I have recently renewed the battery pack (718AH) on my mid drive ebike, at a cost of roughly 25% of the total then paid for the bike, which has top of the range components, and was/is therefore well worth the replacement battery cost.    I am interested too, because the likely cost to replace a whole pack in an EUC will be significant-to-great, especially for the bigger, performance-oriented wheels down the road, but one response I received was that it would be likely that everyone would sell on these wheels - or retire them - beforehand  (presumably using the ‘bigger fool’ theory to best advantage) and just buy another new, shiny and ‘better’ future product, which was not the response I had considered nor really felt appropriate, but I accept everyone has a different take on these things.  
I’m aware that how one’s batteries are stored (ie warm, if not indoors!) has a significant bearing on their overall useful working lifespan, along with the charging regime, etc. I’m also acutely aware that  it everyone rides daily, or for full to empty type trips.

I’d personally prefer to repair and replace where possible rather than ‘junk and re-consume’, though I can recognise the temptation to ‘churn’ rather than renew the packs and thereby extend the existing wheels lifespan as a whole, and recognise there is a point where this becomes uneconomic.

Apologies again for the intrusion, and if this aspect has been aired before or if there is any real world experience/discussion already covering this aspect please do point me in the right direction, thanks in advance.

To the site moderators, please feel free to remove or place in a new thread, if/as felt appropriate.

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

Just now, Freeforester said:

Sorry to hijack, and happy to start a new thread, but is there any data or information gathering as to the anticipated or average (!) lifespan of our wheels’ battery packs?

I ask because of the concerns raised by Begode’s recent statement and advisory, in which it suggests, inter alia, that battery packs ‘should’ be replaced every year (my parentheses); I personally regarded this as little more than a general ‘belt and braces’ , best-practice type of advice, of course with an in-built disclaimer should things go wrong before any 2-year store warranty is up, but it got me wondering about the value of a used wheel being offered with a battery pack that is  practically on its way out, etc.     I have recently renewed the battery pack (718AH) on my mid drive ebike, at a cost of roughly 25% of the total then paid for the bike, which has top of the range components, and was/is therefore well worth the replacement battery cost.    I am interested too, because the likely cost to replace a whole pack in an EUC will be significant-to-great, especially for the bigger, performance-oriented wheels down the road, but one response I received was that it would be likely that everyone would sell on these wheels - or retire them - beforehand  (presumably using the ‘bigger fool’ theory to best advantage) and just buy another new, shiny and ‘better’ future product, which was not the response I had considered nor really felt appropriate, but I accept everyone has a different take on these things.  
I’m aware that how one’s batteries are stored (ie warm, if not indoors!) has a significant bearing on their overall useful working lifespan, along with the charging regime, etc. I’m also acutely aware that  it everyone rides daily, or for full to empty type trips.

I’d personally prefer to repair and replace where possible rather than ‘junk and re-consume’, though I can recognise the temptation to ‘churn’ rather than renew the packs and thereby extend the existing wheels lifespan as a whole, and recognise there is a point where this becomes uneconomic.

Apologies again for the intrusion, and if this aspect has been aired before or if there is any real world experience/discussion already covering this aspect please do point me in the right direction, thanks in advance.

To the site moderators, please feel free to remove or place in a new thread, if/as felt appropriate.

300 100%-0% cycles and capacity loss is at 80%-70%, with my nikola that would be 25 500km before noticeable capacity loss, way more than any other component can handle. Big batteries last longer and my EXN Sport could do 39 000 km before noticeable capacity loss. You shouldn't worry about batteries if you ride less than 5000km in a year. 

• Like 1

Prolly should be a new topic, and there's been a fair amount of discussion on the topic (look for 'charging'). My tl;dr is: extend your pack to 30k+ km by always balancing your pack when you do charge, and get into a charge-then-ride routine (as opposed to ride then charge) so your pack is at full charge for as short a time as is practicable.

• Like 1

• Chriull changed the title to Battery lifespan?

The Begode "advice" has nothing to do with the battery life span. It's a cheap way of saying "if our crappy battery explodes, you should have replaced it before that, must be entirely your fault!", which nobody takes seriously. They might as well say not to ride at all when saying to replace it after a year.

In reality, your wheel will be old and beaten up before you notice any actual battery degradation. And even then you only have some capacity loss.

So don't worry about that:)

• Like 2