Troubles starting with second leg...

Tyred

Hello all!

I've had my Ninebot One E+ for about a month now and I'm getting the hang of it. 
Love riding it around.

Want to master every single bit of riding it though.
One thing I really want to be able to do is be (I don't know if I can put it this way but I am) perfectly biped. (This is said of football players who can use their right foot and their left foot).
I'm always using my left foot one the EU and right foot comes on second. Want to be able to do it the other way around as well, as well as coming off the EU either side.
Seriously struggling though, seems very hard to achieve.

Am I the only one having serious issues with this, is there a trick, is noone else doing this and just using the same foot always?

There is one trick which is only available on the weaker side: copy your movements/sensations.

I still have a notably stronger side after 6+ months, but feel most of the time comfortable with either.

The word you are looking for is ambidextrous, although more commonly used to mean " can use either hand" it works for feet too!

I think most people find which foot is dominant and always mount the same way, I know I'm at the stage where I am happy to do just that, it's really no different from always writing with the same hand IMHO.

The above, of course, means I'm totally unqualified to tell you how to achieve what you are trying to do however, it occurs to me that, of greater importance if you want to be a completely rounded wheeler ( no pun intended!) is being able to ride one legged using either foot. If you can achieve that, mounting with either foot should be a simple extension of that. It is also something you can work up to whilst on your wheel, gradually easing your weight off of one leg until all your weight is on the other - just make sure you spend equal time with either leg.

I've rationalized my inability to start with both legs by comparing it to snowboarding.  Riding a snowboard with left foot forward was a decision made by my friend who pushed me from behind (unexpectedly) while I was standing in the office.  He pointed out that my left foot was the one I instinctively used to catch my fall, and thus showed that I should ride left foot forward.

I've been trying to get on and off from both sides as well, and I can nearly mount both sides consistently. I think once you have honed the instincts for turning (aka staying balanced while your wheel is tilted) you'll find mounting from both sides easier.

This is how I break down the movement. Let's say I'm mounting left foot first. I first "skate" on the left foot and apply pressure with my left toes to engage the motor. When my right foot steps on the pedal, the wheel tilts sightly towards the right side because of the extra weight I'm applying. To compensate for the rightward tilt I turn into right side to regain balance, then I turn left again to continue moving ahead.

As I practice, I try apply more weight on my left shin when I "skate" it to control the wheel better with one leg and offer me more time to place place my right foot. I also try to step my right foot on the pedal more lightly so it doesn't tilt the EUC much, making my two turns to regain balance become smaller. 

Eventually it'll feel natural enough that you won't need to think about the steps.

EDIT: A few days after writing this, I was able to mount easily from both sides and now I'm at the don't-need-to-think-to-do stage. The above worked!

Archived