KingSong KS14D with motherboard KS14SMD not charging

Gopal

Hi there, I have  finally received and installed the new motherboard for my KS 14 D and it works ! However what dos not work now is the charging, the light on the charger remains green and even if I leave it on for a while it does not change 😩. One thing though, the motherboard KingSong sent is the KS 14 SMD. Could someone help me figure out why it does not change ? Below is a picture of the point where the change connections is and next to it is an other wire with plug, any ideas what it’s for? Also some screens shots of info from KingSong app, if it can help. With gratitude for any help. 🙏🏼

1 hour ago, redsnapper said:

was this not same problem u had before u replaced mboard? so maybe issue  is with batt/bms? 

No, at first I hade a cutout and the wheel just wouldn’t start after that 

11 hours ago, Camenbert said:

Have you try to follow the charging current with a multimeter?

What is currently the voltage of the packs?

It will be hard to guess the issue without some value.

The current from the batteries is 48 volts, and they are 16 percent charged. The current from the charger is 67.1 . One thing I forgot to mention (sorry) is that the batteries are not original KingSong, I bought this wheel second hand and discovered this after I had to open it when the motherboard stopped working.

8 hours ago, Gopal said:

One thing I forgot to mention (sorry) is that the batteries are not original KingSong

As suspected by redsnapper, we might have something here !
Your weird accident, an other accident with a wheel from same seller, and battery not original,
All this might be related, if it use a wrongly spec bms.

Concentrate on these battery, disconnect to each other, still exact same 48V ?
May you try to have direct link charger-one battery (wheel out of the equation) ?

If yet noting try to jump start by linking the charger to main battery cable instead of charging port.
Just 15mn to go over 48/16=3V each, value where some (wrong) BMS refuse to charge.

Then charge normally. Once this solve, you'll have to think about these BMS...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Camenbert said:

Your weird accident, an other accident with a wheel from same seller, and battery not original,

May you try to have direct link charger-one battery (wheel out of the equation) ?

If yet noting try to jump start by linking the charger to main battery cable instead of charging port.
Just 15mn to go over 48/16=3V each, value where some (wrong) BMS refuse to charge.

Ok, I’ll try that tomorrow and let you know. Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Camenbert said:

Alright, some results :

1 I get 55.5v from the motherboard when I change the batteries through the old motherboard (which works for charging but not for running the wheel)

2 voltage measured through the new motherboard is almost the same: 55 v

3 sorry, the earlier mentioned 48v was from the connection going to the batteries while charging , not batteries voltage 

Conclusion so far: charging works with the old KS14D motherboard but wheel does not. And it’s the opposite with the new KS14SMD motherboard. 

Could it be a polarity problem at the charger connector?

I dont know KS so I cant help further if related to MB.

Do you have exact same voltage on both pack once disconnected to each other (after 1h, after 1d) ?
Do you have a normal running wheel with new MB and the 55V mentioned ?

If so, and if you can charge 100% with previous MB, well go ahead, but as we are not guessing the problem, get prepare to the worst :
charge or work on the wheel outside if end badly.

To test the behaving of the bms, do you have a hill near you?
With a friend near you looking at a EUC APP, climb the steepest hill or ramp, in order to sag (to drop) the battery to 0%.
If the wheel bips like hell after stopping you, it's OK. If the wheel stop and become silent, that's the bms cutting (bad!!).
best would be to do this test twice, with just a single battery pack attached to test both separately.

To not fry your MB, do the test with near empty/half empty battery.
If the sag is crazy high maybe the cell used are crap.

Edited by Camenbert

On 5/22/2021 at 1:33 PM, Camenbert said:

I dont know KS so I cant help further if related to MB.

Do you have exact same voltage on both pack once disconnected to each other (after 1h, after 1d) ?
Do you have a normal running wheel with new MB and the 55V mentioned ?

If so, and if you can charge 100% with previous MB, well go ahead, but as we are not guessing the problem, get prepare to the worst :
charge or work on the wheel outside if end badly.

To test the behaving of the bms, do you have a hill near you?
With a friend near you looking at a EUC APP, climb the steepest hill or ramp, in order to sag (to drop) the battery to 0%.
If the wheel bips like hell after stopping you, it's OK. If the wheel stop and become silent, that's the bms cutting (bad!!).
best would be to do this test twice, with just a single battery pack attached to test both separately.

To not fry your MB, do the test with near empty/half empty battery.
If the sag is crazy high maybe the cell used are crap.

Hi there, so it’s fixed! As it turned out it was just a polarity problem on the connector where the charger connects to the motherboard !
To summarise (in the hope it might help someone with similar issues) : the motherboard on my KingSong KS14D (v 1.2) stopped working. I replaced it with a KS14SMD (v 1.4) motherboard and it worked but the charging did not and after much testing and headaches it turned out the white and black wire on the charging connector simply had to be inverted (see photos below). Once again thank you all for your help and time. Of to ride (and hopefully break nothing) :)

i5w4a0w.jpg

• Like 2

Good lord, a polarity problem  solved without damage or fire.

Yeah, that picture speak for itself, the black wire in front of the other black wire...

You have yet to be sure these none original battery packs are good ones for unicycle.

• 2 years later...
On 5/28/2021 at 4:04 AM, Gopal said:

Hi there, so it’s fixed! As it turned out it was just a polarity problem on the connector where the charger connects to the motherboard !
To summarise (in the hope it might help someone with similar issues) : the motherboard on my KingSong KS14D (v 1.2) stopped working. I replaced it with a KS14SMD (v 1.4) motherboard and it worked but the charging did not and after much testing and headaches it turned out the white and black wire on the charging connector simply had to be inverted (see photos below). Once again thank you all for your help and time. Of to ride (and hopefully break nothing) :)

i5w4a0w.jpg

I'm having this same issue. I'm learning on a new 14D that's not charging. I got it so long ago I don't recall if I've ever charged it when new and I'm still learning so I haven't really even ridden it. The charger seems to work on other devices (light goes from green to red when charging a scooter) but stays green when I connect it to the 14D. When I look at my board I don't have the plug with the white and black wires at all. Where do these go and/or come from? All I have is the two metal poles sticking out of the board. Where does the black and white wire go? Maybe it's in there somewhere and just not connected? The wheel turns on and runs fine but, haha, not for much longer if I can't get it charged. I mean, I already know I'm hooked and will get another wheel but I would rather learn on this one.

• Like 1

Hi, @uniKevin- @Gopal did not visit this forum again since November 24, 2021. Hopefully some other member has knowledge about your KS14D problem.

Afair for these wheels the charger plug went directly to the batteries and only the battery output went to the motherboard.

Edit: Ups - the photo above shows quite the oppsite.... 

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

I bought a new board from eWheels and got it installed correctly. The wheel turns on, the batteries are at 50%. But it still won't charge. The one difference I see between both my boards and the one above is that I don't have that white plug that has the black and white wires coming out of it. I see the black and red wires that are soldered to the board go to the charging port and have verified that connection. But where do the wires from that white plug go? 

When I (try to) charge I plug the wheel in first and then plug it into the wall. For the briefest instant the light on the charger will turn red but immediately turn green. Almost as if it sees a connection but then cancels the charge for some reason. The two green fuses are fine. 

• Like 1

I think I found the answer after a bit more reading. I checked both batteries and the voltage appeared to be the same. And, the charger voltage appears to be fine as well. However, when I charge with one battery disconnected the other battery with charge so it looks like I have a bad battery. And a spare controller. ;) Ordering a battery and hopefully that will solve the issue.

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2023 at 10:45 AM, uniKevin said:

I think I found the answer after a bit more reading. I checked both batteries and the voltage appeared to be the same. And, the charger voltage appears to be fine as well. However, when I charge with one battery disconnected the other battery with charge so it looks like I have a bad battery. And a spare controller. ;) Ordering a battery and hopefully that will solve the issue.

@uniKevin Did a new battery pack resolve this issue for you? I'm having the same exact problem where my wheel won't charge. Voltage from the charger makes it to the board no problem, and when I unplug one battery it charges but not the other. I also have those pins coming from my board with seemingly no plug to connect to them.

• Like 1