Veteran Sherman tire pressure?

SkidrowNL

Hello everyone!

I just got my Veteran Sherman and the tire is a bit bouncy when i'm standing on it and it also wobbles quite a bit when i break from speeds 40km/h+. On my V11f the softer bouncy tire is great, but i feel like the sherman may need a bit more.
Anyone can help me with some tips or what pressure i need?

I'm 84kg and 186cm.

Thanks!

• Like 1

@SkidrowNLI typically ride at 20psi for street and weigh 130lbs. Most normal humans ride it around 30psi. Off road and pirelli street at same pressures. I find the sherm to run much nicer at lower pressure as it sucks up the bumps at speed. I ran 20psi on v1 and now v2 rims without issue. WARNING, I am a skinny f**k and other riders have complained of low pressure and tire problems. My Pirelli seems to make the bumps a one and done. The stock offroad had a litle more cushion, but also a little more 'spring' and carryover. Reverse tilt seems to also keep me on the pedals during bounces a bit.

ENjoy the new wheel! Welcome to the nuthouse!:blink1:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I ran 20psi on v1 and now v2 rims without issue. WARNING, I am a skinny f**k and other riders have complained of low pressure and tire problems.

As @ShanesPlanet states here, some heavier riders than he have had issue with lower pressures on the Sherman.  However, I am around 85kgs (similar weight to yourself) before donning All the gear and have had the exact same results as Shane as low as 20psi on the v1 rim and also without any issue whatsoever. 

I also really appreciate the cushion provided by the lower pressure, to provide a little more comfort than the comparatively unforgiving 30psi + pressures offer for my riding preference.

I have not had any cause for concern with the tire unseating or slipping on the narrower 40mm wide rim, but I did have to very carefully centre the knobby out of the box to correct approximately 6mm-7mm side to side drift!  Due to the amount my knobby was out, I needed to first correct it by around 3mm put some mileage on the wheel to help it settle a little and then get it as straight as possible on a second massaging session.

I will be trying out the Michelin City Grip Pro 80/90-14 street tire I just received in the coming months, once the current cooler Autumn/Winter temperatures are behind us here in NZ.  I have heard nothing but glowing reports on the Michelin and again, I plan to run it at lower pressure (low 20's) due to it's stiffer, puncture proof construction.

I feel sure you are guaranteed to enjoy the Sherman experience, once it's dialled in!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

I have the wider Rim with just the standard tire i got it with. 

when on 20psi it's nice going over bumps like you guys say, but with that comes some uncontrollable wobble when i try to break.

25psi was much better but this feels somewhere in between. 

I tried 30psi just now.. and something clicked. Yes.. it's quite zippy and a bit bouncy after bumps but with the powerpads i have on them it feels pretty nice!

Thanks for the tips! :D

• Like 1