First EUC, mten3 and not quite sure if things are as they're supposed to be.

choopaloopa

20 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You may be on to something with volume of air and surface area. @Roadpower probably has a pretty simple explaination. It isnt a vary tall sidewall or stiff casing on the mten for sure. They do make a 4 ply for it that works tho.. Makes it MORE twitchy lol.

Sorry I didn't post this morning, I was wiped out when I got home. So yes it comes down to the very small volume as to why the pressure needs to be high to retain the tire shape, just look at the tiny wheel of the Mten3 compared to the other wheels you have. :p When I first got the wheel it was running a low PSI which while comfortable for the baby steps of an initial rider becomes a noticeable problem once you start getting past the baby steps. Or it can lure you into a false perception of normality if a person as a new rider doesn't yet know what the wheel should feel like under various conditions.

Jason at eWheels has a decent write up on tire pressures. :)

https://www.ewheels.com/guide-tires-appropriate-pressures-electric-unicycle/

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I have 8 first-time riders that went handsfree in 5minutes or less on my MTen3 that would love to disagree with you :)

This is where the Mten3 gets very tricky in my experiences. You are right that for the initial rider the Mten3 is very approachable, in fact this is exactly why I bought one on the recommendation of a better known Youtuber. The problem however is once you get past the initiation stages the wheel can become a serious liability because as we all know it is incredibly twitchy and has the dance of death dynamic to it which can absolutely savage a person's feet and ankles which is why wearing good foot/ankle protection with it is mandatory.

So in my view the best possible starter wheel is going to be the V8F. Especially if the person is under 200lbs. In fact I would wager that the V8F is probably the ultimate wheel for petite females who are interesting in commuting (10 or less miles round trip is probably ideal, a larger wheel for longer commutes) and local shopping. (I routinely carry a bag of groceries home after work while riding).

:)

• Like 2

So I was thinking about this a bit more and I checked posts. I don't know for sure as I have to test it myself but I think What Shane (and possibly others?) posted about riding mode may be the most critical piece of information for dealing with the very finicky Mten3. By default I'm pretty sure the unit is set to hard mode, I would definitely experiment with the other modes.

22 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

So I was thinking about this a bit more and I checked posts. I don't know for sure as I have to test it myself but I think What Shane (and possibly others?) posted about riding mode may be the most critical piece of information for dealing with the very finicky Mten3. By default I'm pretty sure the unit is set to hard mode, I would definitely experiment with the other modes.

Can't speak for anyone else but for me, the real secret sauce to eliminate or at least alleviate the dreaded GW ankle nipping is proper position of the wheel against the inner calf for best stable leverage when mounting. Due to its ultra light weight & form, its not readily obvious esp for the uninitiated. Unlike its bigger brethen, the Mten3 is not as forgiving & any mounting leg 2 wheel misalignment can lead to the famed 'dance'.

Far's riding mode goes, I prefer it hard (hmmm where have I heard that before😅). Its pedals are already lowest ever & any additional pedal dips are unwanted. Plus the Mten3 is so easy to accelerate that the addition force required on hard mode is insignificant.

As for the finicky & twitchy, there's really not much to it once we adapt to that particular intricacy. It does have a 10x3" tire afterall & with that, comes super sensitive handling.

• Like 2

I think my mTen dances when the pedal hanger contacts the ground but the lateral tilt sensor hasn’t figured it out yet. Using EUCWORLD to set mine to medium reduced but did not eliminate the tendency to dance… I haven’t tried the top option because I didn’t want to risk shutoff in turns.

I sure wouldn’t want to have tried to learn on it. It’s far too responsive and things happen way too quickly. Perhaps after having spent some time on a larger wheel, but not as a first experience.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I think my mTen dances when the pedal hanger contacts the ground but the lateral tilt sensor hasn’t figured it out yet. Using EUCWORLD to set mine to medium reduced but did not eliminate the tendency to dance… I haven’t tried the top option because I didn’t want to risk shutoff in turns.

I sure wouldn’t want to have tried to learn on it. It’s far too responsive and things happen way too quickly. Perhaps after having spent some time on a larger wheel, but not as a first experience.

I noticed the tilt/cutoff setting too. I tried it, but it just made the damn thing turn off while I was riding it. I recall my backwards transitions sometimes go poorly, but i stay on it. With the lean angle changed, it gave up before I did. I think its just the nature of the little beast. More upright cuttoff angle and you dont get to really lean it. Hell, I do pedal stalls all the time anyhow. The REAL solution is to NOT fall off. I had an 18" and a 14" in the very beginning. I could have learned on either. After a few moments, I decided the 18L WAS the learner wheel, and got rid of the 14". I got an mten shortly after. It took a bit of relearning to get on the mten, as its just a pita to mount the damn thing(still is). I played with the modes, and soft was really neat. But, its just so low to the ground and so zippy, I found hard mode to be the solution. Just my $.02 of course.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took a little while to get the motivation again, but I managed to get it working properly and so far no bizarre behaviors after about 50km traveled.

Since my wheel didn't "upright" itself the way it was supposed to I figured it hasn't set it's calibration. So, I just started calibrating over and over, stacking thin cardboard pieces to re-angle the wheel. Eventually after about 30ish attempts, it finally took it's calibration with at least few degrees sideways and a little forward. After that it started to "upright" itself to the odd angle and even more mysteriously after that it took the calibration when everything was actually level. Almost like first it needed to be unlocked by a magic combo and then it would start working.

In the process I did add Tesla paddles and additional padding at the top of the wheel, but i'm almost entirely sure it was caused by the lack of calibration.

I suppose there still is a chance the board could be loose and that's why it took the weird angle in the first place, but there's also a bit of yaw axis wobble at relatively average/low speeds which could suggest the wheel itself is maybe loose so I might just pull it apart and tighten everything.

Still, it's like night and day between what it was and now. Thanks for all the help everyone.

• Like 2