Better charging connectors.

null

28 minutes ago, Giffy said:

Is there a master thread on how fast I can charge my wheels? It seems like people are charging them at a much higher amp rating than is recommended. I'm wondering what I can get away with and at what point do I have to start modding?

I recommend searching this way.

The general summary is:

1. The cells are happy charging at 0.5C (e.g. 900W charging for MSP & RS).
  2. The recharging connector has its own rating which should be respected (e.g. 5A per pin pair).
  3. Some controllers monitor charging current and will interrupt it beyond a certain amount (varies among brands and models).
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, null said:

many Gotway between 5 and 10A..

I have an MSP with one port and an RS with two. The two chargers I have output 3A but I'm thinking about buying one that's 8A. Are there chargers that people recommend for gotway wheels. My knowledge is still quite limited on how these batterie setups work and what the dos, don'ts, and in-betweens are.

50 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I recommend searching this way.

The general summary is:

1. The cells are happy charging at 0.5C (e.g. 900W charging for MSP & RS).
  2. The recharging connector has its own rating which should be respected (e.g. 5A per pin pair).
  3. Some controllers monitor charging current and will interrupt it beyond a certain amount (varies among brands and models).

Thank you, this points me in the right direction and that search feature is very neat. Using that from now one :D
Cheers,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For now I made some 3D printed sleeves for protecting the XT-60s. (disregard crappy print look)
Once connected the total is pretty long, but that's what it too to reach and grab the cable sleeve.

The cables are clamped by two inner pieces that slide in with the cable and snaps in place (kind of)
Everything is snug and will probably have to be broken up in case of repair.

Id rather have many other solutions than having a split connector as interruptor, but this works. Feels much more solid at least.

IMG_0099.thumb.jpg.1f1f30edc5d3f5870cdecd5602869236.jpg

IMG_0097.thumb.jpg.d1e346a558d957fb51e3d966c31088ad.jpg

IMG_0100.thumb.jpg.787d0710d11f64b802e8a3cdf4e47570.jpg

(22AWG is thin, I dont like it, but it is quadruple counting the two GX16)

Edited by null
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, supercurio said:

@null that's a pretty good idea and neat implementation already.

Unsolicited suggestion: maybe an even more obvious polarity indicator?
I might print a few of these.

Thanks, appreciated :) 
Yes polarity could be more visible, also the sleeve could make a second layer of male / female imbrication so it's not only the plug that holds the assembly. Maybe a thumb recess even if it doesn't lack grip. If possible to shorten it would be nice, but difficult to hold the cable then.

Maybe it could be enough with a sleeve to avoid hard angle bend and provide grip, dropping the "hold the cable tight" bit.

Its a bit too custom to publish but I still put it on thingiverse.
Could maybe be worth doing a proper general use version, this was really just put together for personal use.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 02.34.38.png

Edited by null
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a dual Lenovo connector made especially for the 18XL. The charger is dedicated at 9A as recommended by Seba. The two shell halves could use some pegs to align better, but this works ok as a first try. The pitch between the connectors seem to be 14.5mm. If anyone know better (standards?) I’m interested.

(disregard the cable color coding, the final polarity is correct)

(notice the little pocket that keeps the soldered cables apart :) )

C6A17906-F1C4-425E-955C-ADDF86BD082E.jpeg.d48a5a7e530b3859d0ef23847d842f30.jpeg

22ADFC7C-9C89-4630-B482-42223B146BCF.jpeg.4a33231a23e0cbcb8a786500b9827b85.jpeg

A146E104-0541-4038-B427-342D0AD7DA47.jpeg.75aa3efa31446205ab3e7db270d7f391.jpeg

Edited by null
  • Like 3