Gotway mcm5 340wh?

Hi! I have been riding eskate for a couple years and would like to try euc. Stumbled upon the Gotway (begode?) mcm5 with the 340wh battery for ~500$. I want a top speed of at least 30 km/h and a range of at least 10 km when going full throttle. Will I get that from the 340wh battery? Is there another option that reaches my demands in the same price range? Anyone with experience of this euc with any pros and cons? My budget is ~500$ so the 650 or 800 wh is out of discussion. 

• Like 1

30kph for the MCM5 (v1 or v2) isn't close to full throttle but having some riding time on the 800wh v2, I'd say you're likely golden. Now that said, I'd be the 1st to say I bear no responsibility on any incidents of cutouts esp when battery is <50%. The wheel is more than capable of such speeds, its the 340wh battery that I'm kinda concerned with when pushed.

My 800wh v2 will do 25-30kph til ~15-18% (never tried less so perhaps that might work as well). I wouldn't be surprised if the 340wh does it as well but if it were me, I'd be super sensitive to any beeping noises when pushing it <50% battery. YMMV ofcos

FWIW I'm very fond of the MCM5v2. I'd vote it best performance best value wheel on the market. Its as fun as the Mten3 but with much better everything...except weight & size.

• Like 2

The smaller battery versions of the MCM5 have a lower top speed.
You're looking at 21.5 mph (34 km/h) for the 340Wh version. I doubt you'll be able to hold that speed for 10km due to battery sag. 
Battery sag on eSkate means going slower.
Battery sag on EUC means lower top speed and increased risk of cut-out.

If possible, I'd recommend saving up a few hundred dollars more to get the 650Wh or 800Wh, or look to get a used wheel.

• Like 2

@jwheel

That one is a steal of a deal and one of my favorites. I ride mine in my vids (link below) all the time. I am so tempted to buy another, as the $600 version prolly wont be around forever. However, I am a light weight rider and I dont use it for continous high speed. Its also not my only wheel.  I think that if overhead is an issue for you with the mcm5, it will also be the same with the mten. The mten is great, but its more of a niche wheel and isnt my personal suggestion as a first or only wheel.  The REAL number you need concern yourself with, is the battery size. Wheel size also makes a big difference. For your needs, i do think that these smaller wheels won't quite give you the specs you are hoping for. I would strongly suggest to try like hell to find a deal on a 16" or 18" wheel with much larger battery. Think 900ah 84v or larger. I'd imagine for about $1k, you can get in the ballpark of a general solid/used wheel that you wont outgrow. You will supplement it tho, as hardly anyone only has one. You either have none or lots...

@Scottie888 "Its as fun as the Mten3 but with much better everything...except weight & size. "

Yeah, and my house is exactly like the playboy mansion, except it aint....:laughbounce2:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

All advice given above are very accurate & true :thumbup: Started off with a 170WH mcm5, self mod to 1000WH & still, i can't join my buddies for a 100Km ride, all i can say is EUCs are an expensive hobby, sooner or later you will end up with multiple wheels like everyone here :lol:

38 minutes ago, jwheel said:

The thing is that I already got a couple of eskates. So range is not THAT important. However I don’t want the risk of cut outs or very early sag affecting the top speed.

Heres some perspective.. I am a 130lb man that rides the street mostly. I ride alone and have never seen another person in person doing it. I consider myself a fair novice after a year and don't really think Im pushing limits or hardcore. I have left my home with a FULL battery on the MASSIVE sherman. Riding on pavement for a mere 10 miles or less at my typical style of 30mph or so. At one point, I managed to sag the battery pack to well under 50%. Now, if a 130lb man can sag a 3000ah 100v battery on a street at under 40mph, within 30 minutes of leaving the house with full battery..... there's your sign.  As previously mentioned... You sag a little too much on an eskate and you simply slow down, same with a scooter. You sag too much on an euc and you fall down with potential for your face grinding pavement as the brakes....:crying:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, jwheel said:

Thanks for explaining! Is it the same problem with this one?https://www.euco.us/products/gotway-mten-electric-unicycle?variant=34947214606470

The 67V 420Wh version of the MTen3 has a top speed of 20mph / 32km/h

The 86V 512Wh version of the MTen3 has a top speed of 23mph / 37km/h

Keep in mind that these top speeds are usually only attainable when the battery is relatively full, with a medium-lightweight rider, on a smooth flat road, without a headwind, in warm temperatures. The safely attainable top speed will diminish as conditions degrade.

This article explains the battery tech in EUCs fairly well:

For your goal of 30km/h for 10 km, assuming you are not a heavyweight, I'd recommend any EUC with a minimum 800Wh battery pack.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

@Scottie888 "Its as fun as the Mten3 but with much better everything...except weight & size. "

Yeah, and my house is exactly like the playboy mansion, except it aint....:laughbounce2:

LoLs yaa wish I was riding at the playboy mansion as well (errr if it still exists & hasn't been cancelled😠).

Anyhoos, I know its always a YMMV on this kinda thang but since I got the MCM5v2, I've not touched the Mten3. I liked it so much I thought I'd keep the lil' guy forever but my truth says otherwise so I sold it. Guess that's my proof in the puddin & eatin or somethin rather🤪

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

LoLs yaa wish I was riding at the playboy mansion as well (errr if it still exists & hasn't been cancelled😠).

Anyhoos, I know its always a YMMV on this kinda thang but since I got the MCM5v2, I've not touched the Mten3. I liked it so much I thought I'd keep the lil' guy forever but my truth says otherwise so I sold it. Guess that's my proof in the puddin & eatin or somethin rather🤪

Hope you're still tuned in to this station, what does the MCM5 feel like after riding the Tesla V2?

7 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

Hope you're still tuned in to this station, what does the MCM5 feel like after riding the Tesla V2?

Hey Retro, I haven't taken out the Tesla since I put it in hibernation for winter last year. Been riding mostly the MCM5v2 & S18 this year. Based on memory, the Tesla feels large, heavy & clunky. While nimble its low speed handling is no where close to the M5v2 (which IMO feels alot more like the Mten3 except more predictable & less squirrelly). Comfort is about equivalent & the Tesla's high speed performance is understandably better.

Let me see if tomorrow's a nicer riding day so I can take the Tesla out for a spin to refresh & do a comparo. Memory has a penchant for unreliability so I'll get back to you with something more definitive. Soon I hope if weather permits

19 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Hey Retro, I haven't taken out the Tesla since I put it in hibernation for winter last year. Been riding mostly the MCM5v2 & S18 this year. Based on memory, the Tesla feels large, heavy & clunky. While nimble its low speed handling is no where close to the M5v2 (which IMO feels alot more like the Mten3 except more predictable & less squirrelly). Comfort is about equivalent & the Tesla's high speed performance is understandably better.

Let me see if tomorrow's a nicer riding day so I can take the Tesla out for a spin to refresh & do a comparo. Memory has a penchant for unreliability so I'll get back to you with something more definitive. Soon I hope if weather permits

I really appreciate it but no hurry on digging the Tesla out, you pretty much answered my questions, I was sort of looking for a frisky wheel that splits the difference between my m5v2 and Nikola+.  I'm clearly still in the early stages and just like to try everything, you never know when you might stumble upon something that you really jive with.  Thanks again!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetroThruster said:

I really appreciate it but no hurry on digging the Tesla out, you pretty much answered my questions, I was sort of looking for a frisky wheel that splits the difference between my m5v2 and Nikola+.  I'm clearly still in the early stages and just like to try everything, you never know when you might stumble upon something that you really jive with.  Thanks again!!

I got on this EUC train on the later 1/2 of '20 so I fully admit I'm still somewhat of noob at this. I think my skills have sorta bloomed somewhat this year so what I trying to say is what I felt about the Tesla from memory might be immature (everything feels large heavy & clunky if its your 1st wheel😋)

I've a sneak suspicion that the Tesla could be somewhat 1/2 way btwn the very nimble M5v2 & more stodgy Nik+ so it might just float your boat. Forecast for my neck of the woods looks good for this weekend so let me dust off the cobwebs of the Tesla give it good twirl. I should have more solid conclusions then.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

I got on this EUC train on the later 1/2 of '20 so I fully admit I'm still somewhat of noob at this. I think my skills have sorta bloomed somewhat this year so what I trying to say is what I felt about the Tesla from memory might be immature (everything feels large heavy & clunky if its your 1st wheel😋)

I've a sneak suspicion that the Tesla could be somewhat 1/2 way btwn the very nimble M5v2 & more stodgy Nik+ so it might just float your boat. Forecast for my neck of the woods looks good for this weekend so let me dust off the cobwebs of the Tesla give it good twirl. I should have more solid conclusions then.

SO basically... you dont know Sh*t? lolz, just jerkin your chain. I got a few months on you and am still trying to appear like I have a clue. Eventually I'll learn to ride the damn things. I'd bet between the three of us, we could open a toy store! Maybe we three should just work on a loaner program. We all invest in 4 different wheels each, toss in some ebikes, planes, scooters, e-sk8, and we ship them around to each other, every 4 months?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 6:09 PM, RetroThruster said:

..what does the MCM5 feel like after riding the Tesla V2?

K the clouds broke, the sun fired up & so I took the Tesla out for a ~45km ride. Scratch everything I previously wrote. I was wrong wrong wrong!!! The Tesla felt light smooth fast & very nimble. Reminds me of a sportsbike where it turns on a dime & almost on instinct. What your body wants to do & go, the Tesla does. Feet feels like its just for keeping me up & along for the ride. Its almost as twistable as the Mten3 if you know what I mean.

The M5v2 is more of a feet machine where direction is via the feet while the Tesla is via body. I think it could be cos of the 2.5 vs 2.125. I ordered a 2.5 tire for the Tesla but now I'm not sure I wanna change it. I'm really like how the thinner tire handles. The Tesla is a total carving machine! Low speed or high speed, it does not matter. Your body tilts & thats where the Tesla goes with zero effort. In contrast, the S18 feels like work to do similar & still, its no where no how as close to as nimble. The M5v2 carves good too but emphasizing more feet for change of direction. 

My initial thoughts were completely wrong cos due to my deficiencies, not the Tesla's. I had thoughts of upgrading the Tesla to something like an RS but thanks to the bearing issues, I didn't pull the trigger. On bike paths & my kinda riding, the Tesla does all I need & want. Its a keeper for me. The only con is the jaring ride on bumps. Its smooth as heck on asphalt & not so much on bumpy stuff but that's it.

If you're gonna get one, see if you can snag a Tesla V2 1480/1500wh version. I got mine for a hair over $1100 last year & for the money, its a heck of a deal. I ain't selling mine. I still have 44 % battery after a 45km ride ave 21kph on bike paths with lots of inclines

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

SO basically... you dont know Sh*t? lolz,

Yup...pretty much! See above🥴

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Maybe we three should just work on a loaner program. We all invest in 4 different wheels each, toss in some ebikes, planes, scooters, e-sk8, and we ship them around to each other, every 4 months?

This would be freakin awesome!!! Imagine being able to try 'em all. I'm already salivating at gunning your Sherman😆

• Like 2

Well damn, you just cost me $1,000+, lol, seriously though, I had suspicions that it might be a suitable wheel between the m5v2 and Nik+.  I think where the m5v2 and mten3 share similarities is the fact that they're both really controlled by feet given their dimensions, I never put my finger on that til you mentioned it.  I really was looking for a relatively light weight wheel that could be ridden more with "leg" than "feet", a few of the Inmotion wheels were on my list of considerations but the Tesla seems to be right choice for me.

I'm especially glad to hear about the tire, as you know, the m5v2 already has the 2.5 and I've yet to experience anything smaller so I'm anxious to see how the 16" 2.125 feels . Thanks for the info!   

5 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Well damn, you just cost me $1,000+, lol

No worries, anytime you need someone to spend your money, I'm your guy😁!

Just aware that the thinner contact patch makes it inherently less stable so some external road conditions & wind will affect it more than the wider tires. Nevertheless, I think you're gonna like it. If you love carving, this is your machine.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 3:50 AM, yuweng said:

............Started off with a 170WH mcm5, self mod to 1000WH & still, i can't join my buddies for a 100Km ride.....

Wow!  I'm very curious on this MCM5 mod! 

How did you do that? Would you elaborate? or point me to the right direction?

- TIA

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:20 AM, Surfling said:

Wow!  I'm very curious on this MCM5 mod! 

How did you do that? Would you elaborate? or point me to the right direction?

- TIA

Only realize your post is here today :P Bought my mcm5 from a taobao reseller, they offered at that time their own 1000wh & even a 1300wh version ! And i wonder how are they gonna fit all 100 cells into the tiny mcm5 ! ( 3.7v x 3.5amp x 100 cells = 1295wh )

The trick is 22 cells straight to the bottom instead of 20 & the balance 18 cells, stack 45 degree, place it in the middle then only your are able to close the shell. And you cannot use BMS for this 2nd pack for the same reason. i rewired the 2nd pack back to the first pack, been using it for more than a year now with a 5amp charger, no fire so far :lol:

Pros : i have not been able to empty my 1Kwh for MTB trail/ off-road riding before giving up in exhaustion :lol:

Cons : Lifting it over fallen trees on trails is no fun compared to 170wh (20Kg in total after upgrade) Which can be said its a Pros too as its heavier now, for high speed riding it is more stable.

Spoiler

724102549_Li-ionstack45degree.png.d29f2c5850067aa1c02abb546b6d7d22.png

Li-ion stack in 45 degree arrangement

• Like 2