Airless, Puncture-Proof Nitinol Tires

Jon Stern

It looks like NASA's Nitinol tires are coming to bikes. Maybe one day we'll get them for EUCs? They come at a weight and cost penalty, but I'd accept quite a bit of added weight and cost for never having to change an EUC tire ever again.

https://gizmodo.com/nasas-nearly-indestructible-airless-titanium-tires-migh-1846488605

bhjd6ietj7h92ofd8nmt.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

One of those things will probably cost more than the rest of the EUC.

Yes. At least, now. I still hope that some of the “revolutionary tire techs” will make it into a common consumer segment. :D 

I dream of an airless electronic tire with variable tread and hardness. From slick road to knobby offroad with a click of a button... /drool/ 

21 minutes ago, Zopper said:

I dream of an airless electronic tire with variable tread and hardness. From slick road to knobby offroad with a click of a button... /drool/ 

Damn, now I started to dream about one also! Automated as well of course, the nanosecond the wheel recognizes a slip, the tire turns into knobby if it was in a street or a hybrid mode.

• Like 1