Advise on choosing a wheel in a non-serviceable area

Hello All, 

I am planning to import a EUC from USA USA to India. There is no support AT ALL in India. My budget is around USD 2000 $. 

I have learnt how to ride and have made about 500 miles on Kingsong 14M. 

Given these conditions, which wheel is ideal so that I can run the wheel for 2-3 years (PROVIDED I DONT CRASH IT AND USE IT WITH CARE).

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in Advance!!

It would be helpful to also know:

• are you 'reasonably' good with disassembly and reassembly of fairly simple devices? You don't need power tools, just access to quality hand tools. This is important because you'll probably have to do your own maintenance so you'll want a wheel that doesn't require crazy disassembly to fix the things that will inevitably break.
  • will your riding be on high quality pavement or more dirt roads and poorly maintained pavement?
  • how fast do you want to be able to ride most of the time?
  • how far do you need to be able to travel between charges?
  • will you be going up a lot of steep or long hills?
  • are you a large sized person?
  • how important is waterproofing? some wheels are better than others but none of them are actually waterproof

Without knowing more, it would be difficult for me to say anything other than advise you to consider an older model wheel because with more of the older model wheels in service there's a better chance that you'll be able to research users' experiences with reliability, and you have a larger selection of maintenance and repair videos.

Based on my personal experience with one and only one wheel, my KS16XS has proven to be super durable, capable in all conditions I've ridden in and simple to open and change parts (I added an extra battery). But I'm a bit of a fanboi because it's the one I picked… since I chose it there can be no better, even if that's not true!. I do read excellent things about the MSX and would certainly consider that if it's a better match for how and where you're going to be riding. My KS is plenty fast for me, but it's frustratingly slow for others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

It would be helpful to also know:

• are you 'reasonably' good with disassembly and reassembly of fairly simple devices? You don't need power tools, just access to quality hand tools. This is important because you'll probably have to do your own maintenance so you'll want a wheel that doesn't require crazy disassembly to fix the things that will inevitably break.
  • will your riding be on high quality pavement or more dirt roads and poorly maintained pavement?
  • how fast do you want to be able to ride most of the time?
  • how far do you need to be able to travel between charges?
  • will you be going up a lot of steep or long hills?
  • are you a large sized person?
  • how important is waterproofing? some wheels are better than others but none of them are actually waterproof

Without knowing more, it would be difficult for me to say anything other than advise you to consider an older model wheel because with more of the older model wheels in service there's a better chance that you'll be able to research users' experiences with reliability, and you have a larger selection of maintenance and repair videos.

Based on my personal experience with one and only one wheel, my KS16XS has proven to be super durable, capable in all conditions I've ridden in and simple to open and change parts (I added an extra battery). But I'm a bit of a fanboi because it's the one I picked… since I chose it there can be no better, even if that's not true!. I do read excellent things about the MSX and would certainly consider that if it's a better match for how and where you're going to be riding. My KS is plenty fast for me, but it's frustratingly slow for others.

Tools: I have the multi screwdriver set and an allen set. Have disassembled my KS 14M and changed battery once.

riding: mostly on not so good roads with frequent pot holes

fast: I don't want to cross 30kmph mark for sure. With the traffic that my place has I think I will not get a chance to go faster and I am not a fan of speed( 30kmph is going be my tilt back setting in whatever wheel I buy)

distance: My daily commute needs are about 20kms but would like to have a wheel with 40 KM of range

steep and long hills: Hardly any, might go through one or two flyovers. But my KS 14M is handling it so I assume any of my future wheel should be able to do that.

rider weight: 100KGS and 6 feet. I think I come under heavy rider.

importance of water proofing: I will definitely not ride when it is raining. But might actually encounter water puddles or shallow waters during my ride and I cannot afford to have any bearings issue or any other splash related issues.

Even I felt KS 16X is a perfect choice for me. But I was not sure especially cause I am heavy... Any suggestions are welcome :)

• Like 1

Not discouraging you in anyway whatsoever but personally, I don't see the point of ordering from a US reseller for shipment to India. I can understand the increased trust & all as for sure, warranty CS will be much better but thats only if you live in NA & product shipment isn't an issue. Again personally, I'd order from an Ali store & save $$$ plus the shipping might be quicker from China -> India than US -> India.

Since there will not be much if any local service support, I'd try to locate a MSX 84v 1600wh if it were me. Its well proven & reliable with all of its faults well known & with easy fixes. Besides that, its also super simple to open up for diy servicing &or tire/tube repairs/replacement. There's also lots of tire options available with street, offroad & even dual sport (which is what I'd go with).

I think there might be 1 or 2 Ali store that still have stock & bonus is, you'd be saving $500 from your budget to get good protective gear. If you really want more, then the 100v MSP will be a solid choice as well.

Goodluck & happy wheelin'

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 4:37 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

I'd pick the KS18XL if I was determined to go by EUC but, with normal Indian traffic, I think I'd prefer to take a motorbike.

I second THIS. Your range and speed demands arent big. Your weight isnt petty. Not much to go wrong with these, as long as you get a good one from the start. In your position, I would likely just buy from a reputable dealer that is as close as possible. Great support sometimes can easily be offset by unavaoidable shipping costs/time. Having never been to India, you can take my advice as much less than its normal value of not much atall.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 4:41 PM, Scottie888 said:

Not discouraging you in anyway whatsoever but personally, I don't see the point of ordering from a US reseller for shipment to India. I can understand the increased trust & all as for sure, warranty CS will be much better but thats only if you live in NA & product shipment isn't an issue. Again personally, I'd order from an Ali store & save $$$ plus the shipping might be quicker from China -> India than US -> India.

Since there will not be much if any local service support, I'd try to locate a MSX 84v 1600wh if it were me. Its well proven & reliable with all of its faults well known & with easy fixes. Besides that, its also super simple to open up for diy servicing &or tire/tube repairs/replacement. There's also lots of tire options available with street, offroad & even dual sport (which is what I'd go with).

I think there might be 1 or 2 Ali store that still have stock & bonus is, you'd be saving $500 from your budget to get good protective gear. If you really want more, then the 100v MSP will be a solid choice as well.

Goodluck & happy wheelin'

For my 2c worth (it isn't really), I agree with @Scottie888.  I've been researching these wheels way too much as I am trying to decide on which wheel to get for an upgrade as well.

First, the MSX is a 19" (483mm) wheel which to my understanding is better in off-road & poor terrain areas as you described 

riding: mostly on not so good roads with frequent pot holes

With that said however, the 19" (483mm) wheel is beginning to stretch the good as the wheels start getting too heavy for the potholes & rough roads.  I think if anything, the MSX is the largest you would want to go.  I think the MSP is leaning on the heavy side for the terrain you mentioned.  But I am going off of research, not physical experience, I may be wrong.  The MSX & MSP are both outstanding wheels with a longevity that is superb.  From your description on speed, distance, & hills, you are not going to be pushing the wheels limits so a Gotway wheel can be great here.  And again, the MSX & MSP are proven wheels, they will sustain you.

Now the KS18XL is also an excellent 18" (457mm) wheel that has proven itself in the terrain you described.  It also has a history of success & little maintenance.  The KS16X 16" (406mm) wheel is a slightly newer wheel at ... currently just over a year old, perhaps a little over a year & a half.  It is proving itself to be as hardy as these other wheels described here.  KingSong has addressed the issues of the early 16X wheels & I am heavily leaning toward this wheel myself.  At 16" (406mm), the KS16X is a bit more nimble in its handling.  Although I've watched a reviewer's YT video measuring the 16X & saying that it's closer to a 17" (432mm) wheel.

For your weight of 100kg (221lbs), all of these wheels will handle it without issue.  They are all spec'd at 147kg (325lbs) max carrying weight which means they can probably handle 150kg with little strain.

I've heard the larger width tire is better for avoiding punctures which would leave you the MSX & the KS16X.  However I doubt 12.7mm (1/2in) difference the KS18XL (63.5mm (2 1/2in) vs 76.2mm (3in) tire widths) has would change that idea, but again I don't know by experience, only my research.

The MSX & KS18XL should be able to take you roughly 105-112km (65-70mi) over the terrain you mentioned with your weight while the KS16X should take you roughly 81-89km (50-55mi).  There may be argument here but I am giving what I feel would be more realistic in the scenario given rather than the spec'd distances.

So with that criteria, I'd say the best option is as Scottie888 mentioned, place these wheels in a 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice & find an Ali store closer to home.  Find what they are carrying (perhaps they won't have 1st choice & 2nd choice available) & save yourself some money for gear if you don't already have some.  With these larger wheels, I am learning it's better to be geared up ... always.  And you will eventually have to buy some accessories like 'tire slime' or 'ride on' goop to help seal the punctures you do get.  And perhaps a new tire in 3200km. 😁

[edited] Forgot to mention, for support, if you are anticipating having to do any labor work yourself again, buy from somewhere closer to home.  When the support is needed, make some phone calls & emails, there are plenty of services that can help in a descriptory (sp?) capacity at least.

Edited by Hangman
  • Like 1

Bad news!  I have more recently learned that not all wheels sold at any Ali store is legitimate, or I should say have legitimate parts.

I've read that some sellers take the original good quality batteries out of the wheel & replace them with sub-standard batteries that fail very quickly.  Other parts of the wheel I have not yet read about but if they are taking the good batteries, it is possible they are taking other decent materials as well.

You will need to do your research on which sellers are legitimate & which sellers are not.  I have not looked into this very deeply.  I do know there are quite a few reputable sellers on Ali that do at least respect their customers.

[edited] Here's some food for thought when purchasing from an Ali store:

Scottie88 has some great advice when looking for a reputable seller on Ali.

Edited by Hangman
Updated info
  • Like 1