Had my first serious crash today...

Yikes! It's excellent to hear you (and your wheel) made it through in relatively good shape. The tough part about full legged pants is it's going to be HOT, but the motorcycle people must have that figured out. My moto jacket is mesh but my pants are solid with not a whole lot of ventilation. I do know here in the States they sell pants with lots of zippers so you can get air. Seems like you should be able to find something that works.

You'll probably be pretty sore tomorrow, rest and heal up.

• Like 2

In my experience.The more expensive motorcycle pants for desert or hot weather have mesh in the inner thighs that let lots of airflow through. The cheaper pants or cold weather pants do not let airflow through. 

I have also found that if I can turn around and show the dog that I can turn back to him he usually loses interest. But show him that before you get him chasing you to much. 

• Like 2

Yeah fucking dogs ... one of these days I am going to buy an XXL sized can of pepper spray and then let them find out what barking at me and chasing me will earn them. But some owners are idiots too ... there is a guy in my neighbourhood who owns two rat sized little lapdogs who will bark at me and my wheel EVERY SINGLE TIME I ride past them. Not ONCE has the idiot owner scolded them or otherwise tried to get them to stop.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

two rat sized little lapdogs

I've dubbed those "rat in a dog suit" dogs. Noisy little things, but I suspect it's to project an aura of fierceness that belies their visual appearance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Some wheels give off a high pitched whine which we can't hear but it drives dogs crazy. If you stop and walk the wheel then you'll probably be safe. Maybe test with a small dog first ;) YMMV

yeah, I didnt believe that at first because my ears werent attuned to it yet and it is barely noticeable on the open road. But now, after almost 2.000km on three different V10Fs it is super obvious when I ride past a large surface that reflects sound, like the wall of a house. or a van parked at the curb. The wheel emits a really loud and high pitched whine.

• Like 1

The older KS wheels used to give of a high pitched whine that people objected to. My guess is the sound frequency of their wheels has been raised higher so people can't hear it but obviously dogs can. The OP has a KS16X. It would be an interesting video or post to monitor the sound volume of different wheels to see whether wheels are truly silent and which affect dogs the most.

The REAL question is... did you enjoy the flight up until the point you hit the ground? Crashes arent very frequent, ya gotta enjoy the moment while you can! Sounds to me like you could carry a nice little blade or some form of telescopic pole. Screw running from strays, stop the truck, plant your feet and show those mangy 4 legged assholes, WHY we are at the TOP of the food chain! I guess a less enjoyable method could be: carry one of those loud personal alarms and try noise before violence. Of course, whats the fun and lesson learned in that?!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 4:41 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

Some wheels give off a high pitched whine which we can't hear but it drives dogs crazy. If you stop and walk the wheel then you'll probably be safe. Maybe test with a small dog first ;) YMMV

That's exactly what had happened, I though my wheel was quiet enough that it shouldn't wake any dogs sleeping around the area. Guess I was wrong.