Braking while riding seated? (Is sidepads needed for that ?)

Finn Bjerke

I use the V11 seat for better and more aggressive turning and I love it. Now Im trying to actually sit on it. Its made for dwarfs it seems but man I like sitting. I find braking while sitting very difficult tho. Would sidepads help ?

11 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Would sidepads help

Most sidepads lock your feet. The quick answer most would give is no. You will have trouble moving your legs in order take a seat. Some can get around this by widening the knees out side the pads entirely leaving them having only toes in pedals. You could move pads or have better design to get best of both world.

The design for this would have to be designed to give you support mostly in ankle height. Design could still have that pad towards back end to help breaking..

11 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

I find braking while sitting very difficult tho.

First few days of riding seated everything felt clumsy. After a week this might be thing of a past.

---

I tested fairbit how far can I ride without taking a stop. My personal distance seems to be 10-20 km. That travel is surely personal and terrain traveled would effect the muscle fatique. But by combining seated stance I was able to pull 50km without taking a break. Few minutes of seated riding let me rest my muscles that I would do in the stop. As a side note, I could pull of 40km travel without stopping, but I felt the pain later. That few minutes of rest can make you avoid muscle pain for the next day. Therefore you do not have to pass a day on EUC :D 

Editing for link of custom pad design:

Edited by Tasku
link to some custom pad making seated and standing possible
  • Like 1

Seated with powerpads works just fine but you won't be using the pads you will have the legs outside of them in an arc.

For braking it's just a matter of leaning back, if you need to brake really hard I suggest you stand up and break instead.

BTW V11 seated is by far much higher than other wheels, try seated on an MSP, then you will love the height of the V11 saddle. 😁

Here's me riding seated on the MSP with powerpads: https://youtu.be/1EKTt0n8DXY?t=356

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

I do not like to ride on MSP seated, it is too low for comfort. I only take a break on it as I mentioned. I seen people put a bike seat on MSP to get seat higher. But I think it might be too much stress for the handle, they did not continue selling that solution.. 

Also.. Rawnei is DJ RON! :w00t2:

Edited by Tasku
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tasku said:

I do not like to ride on MSP, it is too low for confort. I only take a break on it as I mentioned. I seen people put a bike seat on MSP to get seat higher. But I think it might be too much stress for the handle, they did not continue selling that solution.. 

Also.. Rawnei is DJ RON! :w00t2:

I ride seated all the time now, became used to the low posture it's actually kinda fun when you get into it feels like a go-cart, but standing has it's charm too and a must for some places, the V11 seated is like a Rolls Royce or comfy sofa, high position and suspension makes it very comfortable. 😄

• Like 2

Just now, Rawnei said:

I ride seated all the time now, became used to the low posture it's actually kinda fun when you get into it feels like a go-cart, but standing has it's charm too and a must for some places, the V11 seated is like a Rolls Royce or comfy sofa, high position and suspension makes it very comfortable. 😄

good to see other people as well who ride all the time seated, wouldn't be possible on any other wheel yet unfortunately, I hope the support for this style continues, it would be sad to give up.

• Like 1

If you look at the picture @EMA post of that wheel: The pads placement is making best of both world. Pad for stopping power(backside), pad for ankle support and then he uses knee support (I assume). Seems to me he can still move his legs fairly easy. Uncertain how easy it would be to jump.. I would like to see video from him showcasing the solution. Looks good. With Velcro you could finetune the spot where it suits you the best. In addition the placement of pads would/could protect the EUC..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tasku said:

If you look at the picture @EMA post of that wheel: The pads placement is making best of both world. Pad for stopping power(backside), pad for ankle support and then he uses knee support (I assume). Seems to me he can still move his legs fairly easy. Uncertain how easy it would be to jump.. I would like to see video from him showcasing the solution. Looks good. With Velcro you could finetune the spot where it suits you the best. In addition the placement of pads would/could protect the EUC..

Yeah velcro is a must for all pads imo, it's such a good and robust solution to make your pads more flexible and not static.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tasku said:

@RawneiWill you showcase your solution for seated and standing pose pads? MSP and V11?

I just have normal powerpads for MSP and official Inmotion powerpads for V11, nothing special they are fitted like normal for me riding while standing but works fine for seated not being in the way too much if you learn correct foot position. I have them both attached with Velcro but don't really move them around at all after I found what works for me.

powerpads.thumb.jpg.39dfa3f1070b29a3f52ee2c6b4f07cb0.jpg

• Like 2

riding seated is fun and has a lot of pros, the only thing you miss is leverage and authority on EUC, you are basically slower doing anything

As already said you cannot use any pad while seated, just move your legs on the sides and fullsend ;)

50 minutes ago, Tasku said:

need to take pictures and videos :thumbup:

• Like 1

Mr Rawnei of Stockholm (Wonderfull place btw) Ill try your solution

6 hours ago, Rawnei said:

"official Inmotion powerpads for V11, nothing special they are fitted like normal for me riding while standing but works fine for seated not being in the way too much if you learn correct foot position."

powerpads.thumb.jpg.39dfa3f1070b29a3f52ee2c6b4f07cb0.jpg

May I ask: What is "correct foot position?" I have no heel pressure when I ride seated, All my pressure is on the front of the foot. Why is that? I have very long (sexy, but not shaved?) legs. So seated braking is not an option?  Or alternatively is it possible fort you (long legged blokes) to brake seated by tilting the wheel using your hips? 

The inmotion stud pedals = Better riding and more fun. Run and buy.
I LOVE EM! 
The Seat: Too low, but "Alligator DUF" of Florida tried to make em even higher which was not overly succesfull. My idea is a DIY thang making the seat 10cm higher.
WHY a higher seat ? I have long legs and I want to bloody stop the wheel without standing up first. IMG-20210301-191517.jpg

Edited by Finn Bjerke
Better

16 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

May I ask: What is "correct foot position?" I have no heel pressure when I ride seated, All my pressure is on the front of the foot.

As long as your butt is in the seat, you good. Swifting the stances is bit shifty. I think you kinda have to tip toe no matter what. Maybe not so much with higher seat?

18 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

So seated braking is not an option?  Or alternatively is it possible fort you (long legged blokes) to brake seated by tilting the wheel using your hips? 

I think the ankle support I mentioned helped me get contact point when breaking. But mainly it is your upper body you would have to throw backwards. Standing up is still stronger technique to brake, I gues cause you get to shift more of your weight.

3 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

May I ask: What is "correct foot position?" I have no heel pressure when I ride seated, All my pressure is on the front of the foot. Why is that? I have very long (sexy, but not shaved?) legs. So seated braking is not an option?  Or alternatively is it possible fort you (long legged blokes) to brake seated by tilting the wheel using your hips?

With the V11 pad you don't really have to think that much the pads are not so intrusive to seated riding, just sit down as feels comfortable really, usually that means small contact with pedals as you say no heal pressure that's fine.

I actually rode my V11 today since not riding it all winter and noticed that yes indeed it's a bit tough to brake while riding seated on the original Inmotion seat, the seat is very nice but it's also positioned in a way that your body is a bit infront of the center of the wheel wheel so it takes no effort to accelerate but is hard to brake, I tried moving the seat back a bit but it's difficult since it's designed to fit so well on the handle. I would say this makes it more difficult to control than Gotway seated actually.

V11 has the ultimate feature for seated riding: - 0 percent pedal senitivity. Just lean back seated and the wheel helps you and accelerating is good too. You need to used to that pedal senitivity, but its the best feature of the V11.

That was an eye opener mate. Im a little nervous here: 0 pedal sensitivity while I sit is OK, Ill test that.. however: Id like to alternate between sitting and standing is that an option then ? Is 0 pedal sensitivity dangerous when you stand in normal riding pose ?  

• 2 weeks later...

So I what I do is: grap hold under the front of the seat with 2 fingers find the metal under the seat. I Pull back and upwards with force as I proceed to stand up, its very efficient braking. I dont need to stand in order to efficiently stop the wheel  I just go half the way to standing position. 

It could vaguely remind of G-spot searching same hand movement more or less.  Sorry about that comparison cant help myssef. 

Edited by Finn Bjerke