KS18 bluetooth needs to be replaced...anyone knows how?

Scubadragonsan

My KS18 bluetooth on and off connects/disconnects to my LEMFO watch. Initially, I thought it might have to do with my watch. So I did some simple testing by trying my watch connecting to other wheels. No problems. It only happens with KS18. Does anyone have any idea how to replace a bluetooth on a KS18? Does the whole motherboard need to be replaced? Is it a job for a novice? I am just throwing this out there, any info is appreciated!

There are two Bluetooth modules on KS18 motherboard. One for data and another for audio. One is part of motherboard and another one is soldered on motherboard... I'm not 100% sure but I think the one soldered directly is the one responsible for data transmission... So in this case you will have to change all the motherboard. It is not so difficult for someone with basic technical knowledge. To me it sounds like some parts are unsoldered, so maybe inspect your KS motherboard before changing it (around $300 for a new one)

Edited by TomOnWheels

On 2/23/2021 at 11:54 PM, TomOnWheels said:

There are two Bluetooth modules on KS18 motherboard. One for data and another for audio. One is part of motherboard and another one is soldered on motherboard... I'm not 100% sure but I think the one soldered directly is the one responsible for data transmission... 

Fortunately BLE module used for communication is a separate module on its own PCB, soldered by four pins to the mainboard. S18 doesn't have BT audio at all, but in other KS mainboards BT audio is served by a IC that is also responsible for playing MP3 files from attached USB memory. This IC is directly soldered to the mainboard.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:32 PM, scubadragosan said:

Does anyone have any idea how to replace a bluetooth on a KS18? Does the whole motherboard need to be replaced? Is it a job for a novice? I am just throwing this out there, any info is appreciated!

I don't think it's a job for a novice, but it also doesn't need any expert skills. As long as you have access to basic tools like a decent soldering iron, non-corrosive flux etc. and you have some skills in soldering, you could try. You need to buy HS-08 module as in this link - https://www.amazon.com/CC2540-HC-08-Bluetooth-Module-Transceiver/dp/B07R2B3HD2. Fortunately it's cheap and widely available. Module is connected with mainboard by four pin header.

But before you start with replacement, first just examine existing module connection. Maybe something needs resoldering or mechanical fixing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2021 at 2:45 AM, Seba said:

Fortunately BLE module used for communication is a separate module on its own PCB, soldered by four pins to the mainboard. S18 doesn't have BT audio at all, but in other KS mainboards BT audio is served by a IC that is also responsible for playing MP3 files from attached USB memory. This IC is directly soldered to the mainboard.

I don't think it's a job for a novice, but it also doesn't need any expert skills. As long as you have access to basic tools like a decent soldering iron, non-corrosive flux etc. and you have some skills in soldering, you could try. You need to buy HS-08 module as in this link - https://www.amazon.com/CC2540-HC-08-Bluetooth-Module-Transceiver/dp/B07R2B3HD2. Fortunately it's cheap and widely available. Module is connected with mainboard by four pin header.

But before you start with replacement, first just examine existing module connection. Maybe something needs resoldering or mechanical fixing.

Does this mean that my 18L is running bluetooth 4.0  on the audio side? Im just wondering, as I am returning a watch that would connect easily, but couldnt control volumes. My OTHER watch connects and controls volume but has crap (less than 8' range).  Jut trying to know what is what, so I can get a grasp on compatibility of it all.