Smart Wheel Canada Review

desia

Hey everyone! I'm planning on buying a wheel for the new season but I'm on the fence about who I should order from. Smart Wheels in Burlington, ON is near me and I wouldn't have to worry about customs holds or charges like I would if I ordered from EWheels, but I haven't heard much in terms of the support people get from Smart Wheel. Any stories you can drop about them? What kind of service do they offer if a wheel has any production issues? Especially with the plan on buying a Gotway/Begode, I'm hoping for a lot of support if the wheel is made poorly or if (god forbid) there's any electrical issues that lead to fire.

Thanks for your help!

I bought my Mten3 from Smartwheels.ca. Took a heck of a while but understandable as it was in the heart of covid madness. All oversea shipping were delayed. End of the day, it arrived to me in one piece & I'm still riding it even in the cold of winter.

But, I've not had an opportunity to tryout their warranty service (touchwood). If it were me & I'm close enough, I'd hoof it over to Burlington & give 'em a visit. Talk with them about warranties & also checkout if they have a physical service center. Most of all, inquire & confirm what will be warrantied should such issues arise eg. bearing rust/noises.

Far's fires goes, that will be somewhat troublesome. How do we prove its a mfgr defect instead of user negligence unless its the mobo? Sides if it happens at home, insurance should cover it & any other damages. Personally I think this GW fires scare is wayyyyy overblown & this is coming from someone with 3 GW wheels outta 4. One can count it all on one hand with thousands & thousands sold worldwide. That said, one fire is one too many but that's the reality of li-ion anything so do your due diligence as well. Open up the wheel upon arrival & go thru it as some posts suggest.

Again personally, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Planes crash, cars crash, bikes crash & even bicycles crash. Hundreds of thousands die every year in NA alone. I don't see anyone giving up traveling cos of it. Wait...aren't we staying home & lockdown & all now so maybe our rulers will decide if we travel afterall.

• Like 2

Got my wheel, extra charger, spare tire and inner tube from them all on separate occasions. Been a great experience each time. But, no experience in aftercare (warranty stuff). They are local so that is helpful and will save you on shipping heavy stuff back if you do need to claim anything. I say support local

Edited by Dreygun

Hi Desia!

It was awesome meeting you last month near University Village Park, ya snow riding champ!  A riding buddy in Guelph!!

Anyway, I bought my 16X at Smartwheel and, like the others, except for the covid related delays, my experience with Smartwheel Canada has been positive.  Communications were very impressive and quick.  I also bought locally in case of warranty issues and to avoid the horror stories of import fees and lost wheels.  Like those above, I'm lacking experience with warranty and repairs, as I have not needed them.  Just my opinion, if you're going with a Gotway/Begode, I would definitely go local, as they're reputation for poor quality design, materials and construction seems horrendous.

In the meantime.... bring on spring!!

• Like 2

Bought my Sherman from SmartWheel.ca, which was a very positive experience. They've always answered all my questions quickly enough.

Had to send the wheel back to them for fixing a few weeks ago: had three instances of cutoffs with "E HALL" displayed on the panel, presumably due to a bad hall sensor in the motor. Also asked them to look into the Sherman rim problem (where eWheels actually received new rims from Veteran), as I had a bit of vibration from the wheel so I was concerned about this.

So I'm in a good position to see how well their after-sale service will be...

• Like 3

Thanks for responding, everyone! 

On 2/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, Patrick Robert said:

So I'm in a good position to see how well their after-sale service will be...

I'm definitely interested to hear how your experience with their after-sale service goes. I imagine it's fine, but I've not heard of many people using it (see above) so I'm curious to see how they deal with things, how quickly things get sorted, and how fast you can get back on the wheel. 

18 hours ago, desia said:

I'm definitely interested to hear how your experience with their after-sale service goes.

Well it's been a few weeks since I've sent the wheel back to them. Last I heard they were waiting for a response from LeaperKim (Veteran). And given the Lunar New Year holidays, I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

At least I can count myself lucky to have had this problem at the end of autumn. I don't feel like going on a four/five hour ride in this cold and snowy weather, but I am hoping to get it back before the spring. I do go and take my Nikola out for shorter rides in the meantime, weather permitting - I never go out when it's colder than -10C. It's good to have a backup wheel 😉

Edited by Patrick Robert
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 10:53 AM, Patrick Robert said:

Last I heard they were waiting for a response from LeaperKim (Veteran).

Asked them for an update, they're waiting for a new motor from Veteran, which they should get within 2-3 weeks.

33 minutes ago, Patrick Robert said:

Asked them for an update, they're waiting for a new motor from Veteran, which they should get within 2-3 weeks.

I emailed them asking if current sherman stock has the tire fitment issue. They replied they haven't heard anything about it.  Yours wasn't the rim/ tire?

Edited by Dreygun

4 hours ago, Dreygun said:

I emailed them asking if current sherman stock has the tire fitment issue. They replied they haven't heard anything about it.  Yours wasn't the rim/ tire?

No. The main problem was a hall sensor problem. But I have told them about the rim problem (copied and pasted a message from the thread discussing this), and they said the motor replacement would address it. They'll also update the firmware, which is good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear about the good support from SW Canada. Congrats on getting your Sherman rolling again. :clap3:

FWIW - I ordered a Mten3 from them then switched my order over to a V10F which I am now learning to ride. Their communications was good. They shipped the V10F as expected with the accessories I ordered. I have not had any issues with it and I hope to not need to test their post-sales support too much, but it's good to know they are helping other people out.

I've got zero interest in ordering from China or the US if there is a good vendor in Canada with competitive pricing. :thumbup:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, VikB said:

switched my order over to a V10F which I am now learning to ride

Congrats on your V10F purchase. That's what I learned on, it's a good wheel.

I also like to deal with eWheels in the US, as they usually have the latest models and are very active in the community and with the vendors. I had ordered an Mten3 from them (the new Stealth Black edition with larger pedals), but cancelled my order as it was on the container that caught fire in January. Wanted a small, fun wheel for developping my technique further. Replaced it with a King Song 14D, which is a really nice zippy wheel. Much easier to learn tricks like backwards riding on it.

But for more mature models, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with SmartWheel or recommend them to friends of mine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have been purchasing wheels from Samrtwheel from last 5 years! Been a wonderful experience. These guys are legit and one of the oldest in this industry. I always recommend other to buy from them for their amazing services!

Cheers

• 1 year later...

One of the contributors to this thread, Ramy, has only two posts.  Both are talking about how wonderful Smartwheel.ca is.  Is this evidence that Smartwheel.ca is using deceitful practices to promote their company?

5 hours ago, RooEUC said:

One of the contributors to this thread, Ramy, has only two posts.  Both are talking about how wonderful Smartwheel.ca is.  Is this evidence that Smartwheel.ca is using deceitful practices to promote their company?

What a strange conclusion. This post was specifically asking for feedback on Smartwheel, so now because they had something positive to say they're a plant? I also don't post often, but I have bought my wheels from Smartwheel and have only had good experiences so far. So there you go.

12 hours ago, Saboteur_ZA said:

What a strange conclusion. This post was specifically asking for feedback on Smartwheel, so now because they had something positive to say they're a plant? I also don't post often, but I have bought my wheels from Smartwheel and have only had good experiences so far. So there you go.

Yes, I suppose to those who are unaware of how common it is for companies to use fake accounts on forums and social media to promote their business, that might seem strange.  To everyone else, seeing someone create an account on a forum, make only two posts in quick succession, both of which are promoting a specific company, then never post again, looks suspicious.