It's Time for Wheel #2

Hey everyone!

I'm starting my hunt for my next wheel. Currently, I'm on a KingSong KS16 that has been handed down twice over. By the time I got it, the case had some fractions due to my brothers both enjoying jumping off curbs so the life with me was never intended to be too long. When I street ride, I'm constantly getting beeped at to slow down (max. speed is 35km/h) and it's annoying. I'm hoping for a wheel that can comfortably cruise around 40km/h and more if I need to actively get out of any issues. I also live in a city filled with hills and need a wheel that has power behind it so I can climb said hills. And also, I live in an apartment on the second floor without an elevator, so I'm hoping for something that won't break my back having to take it up and down stairs, but I understand if that's just something I'll have to deal with.

I originally had my eye on a Nik+, but I'm looking for something that I can take offroading on the weekends, city riding during the week, and something that I can walk around shops without too much difficulty. I know the Nik+ has a pretty lackluster trolley handle that doesn't click into place up top and has been prone to breaking when the wheel drops, so I'm a bit worried about that. Also, is it good at offroading? Again, I've been riding the KS16 and I really enjoy the offroading experience with that. I don't crave suspension or think my riding explicitly needs it. 

I've obviously got a bit of an aversion to Gotway/Begode right now with all the fires that've been happening lately... but I'm willing to get their wheel if they get their shit together.

Any suggestions for the next wheel I should get? Thanks!

I don't off road with my Nikola+ 100v but it sure sounds like all the arrows point towards that wheel, after hopping off of my Sherman, it feels small and nimble, the 16x might be an option (had one and regrettably sold it) but it lacks high speed, still a VERY nice wheel though.  Shame they dumped the MSP, that one would be perfect.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 6:58 PM, RetroThruster said:

I don't off road with my Nikola+ 100v but it sure sounds like all the arrows point towards that wheel, after hopping off of my Sherman, it feels small and nimble, the 16x might be an option (had one and regrettably sold it) but it lacks high speed, still a VERY nice wheel though.  Shame they dumped the MSP, that one would be perfect.

Thanks for your reply! I checked out the specs for the 16X and it's a great wheel besides the speed. I also did some research on the MSP and, although Gotway/Begode has discontinued it, the Canadian suppliers still have it in stock.

If a wheel is discontinued, is it ill-advised to still purchase it?

Go 16x. If it gets to be nice out again soon I'll head to Guelph trails again to ride and you can try out mine. You might enjoy the wider wheel at lower psi as well. I run it at 22 to 24psi and had no issues with those Guelph dry trails (leaves, wood chips and roots) with an h666 tire. Just message next time it is nice out for a Saturday trail run and I'll drive down. I didn't have the luxury of trying out a wheel before buying this as my first, but I'm really glad I got the 16x. I want the sherman next but if I can, I want to keep this one as well because of the nimbleness and torque for stop and go in town riding

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 5:09 PM, desia said:

Nik+
good at offroading?

I vote "no" because: 

• relatively low pedals (easily caught on obstacles)
  • poor tire exposure... you'll soon get to the point where you want to bonk or hop tall obstacles, and having the front surface of the tire exposed helps

18" EUC's will do better in both areas.

(But Nik is far more capable offroad than your 16S of course, because of its wider tire and higher torque.)

aversion to Gotway/Begode right now with all the fires

Bear in mind, the Gotway EUC's with 18650 cells (all 84V Gotways to date) have a better record of fire safety...

7 hours ago, desia said:

If a <MSP> is discontinued, is it ill-advised to still purchase it?

On the contrary, it's encouraged :D

Especially due to issues with the 'new' 100V fleet of Begode EUC's.

Replacement parts for MSP are still widely available and should remain so for quite a while. It's a 2020 model after all!

Their only 'new' wheel that I think fits your needs is 2021 MSX.

• Like 2

For me, the Nik is still my overall best, almost par with 18xl.

A really good smooth city ride. Very nice trolley in my opinion.

But check also for second hand 18xl. Those are great. 

But I do second for a 16x (I don't like that wheel, but most do) high pedals for offroad.

Check also the s18. Very good wheel too, with suspension!

The msx/msp are wonderful, just watch out not to fall too often, as they are sooo fragile.. 

The Nik is a tank

Hey everyone!

I'm starting my hunt for my next wheel. Currently, I'm on a KingSong KS16 that has been handed down twice over. By the time I got it, the case had some fractions due to my brothers both enjoying jumping off curbs so the life with me was never intended to be too long. When I street ride, I'm constantly getting beeped at to slow down (max. speed is 35km/h) and it's annoying. I'm hoping for a wheel that can comfortably cruise around 40km/h and more if I need to actively get out of any issues. I also live in a city filled with hills and need a wheel that has power behind it so I can climb said hills. And also, I live in an apartment on the second floor without an elevator, so I'm hoping for something that won't break my back having to take it up and down stairs, but I understand if that's just something I'll have to deal with.

I originally had my eye on a Nik+, but I'm looking for something that I can take offroading on the weekends, city riding during the week, and something that I can walk around shops without too much difficulty. I know the Nik+ has a pretty lackluster trolley handle that doesn't click into place up top and has been prone to breaking when the wheel drops, so I'm a bit worried about that. Also, is it good at offroading? Again, I've been riding the KS16 and I really enjoy the offroading experience with that. I don't crave suspension or think my riding explicitly needs it. 

I've obviously got a bit of an aversion to Gotway/Begode right now with all the fires that've been happening lately... but I'm willing to get their wheel if they get their shit together.

Any suggestions for the next wheel I should get? Thanks!

ive done a BIT of off roading (mud, dirt, grass, uneven and bumpy gravel, hills, snowy hills up and down - 1" sticky snow/fresh powder, rain, all in cold weather so far - below 45F up to 28F) on a RS19. but i hardly have done high jumps or drops. all this with the original cst tire on it too haha. when the tire was fresh, it was prone to tramlining alot. but after carving on pavement and asphalt for a few hundred miles, even that is going away.

i say that because the original cst tire is supposed to be the shittiest tire ever, and if thats the case, i have good feelings about upgrading. but yeah the RS (which is supposed to be the successor to the MSP), has worked out well enough for me

edit: some have complained about low pedal clearance though..so thats something to take into account i guess. with that, there are higher pedal hangers that can be used, but again, ive had no issue with riding on dirt trails full of roots and twigs or mud (no deeper than 1") or grassy trails. i think its more about tackling the obstacles along the way in the manner you think your tire on any euc can handle + personal skill level.

Edited by StealthPhoenix

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 2:53 PM, Dreygun said:

Go 16x. If it gets to be nice out again soon I'll head to Guelph trails again to ride and you can try out mine. You might enjoy the wider wheel at lower psi as well. I run it at 22 to 24psi and had no issues with those Guelph dry trails (leaves, wood chips and roots) with an h666 tire. Just message next time it is nice out for a Saturday trail run and I'll drive down. I didn't have the luxury of trying out a wheel before buying this as my first, but I'm really glad I got the 16x. I want the sherman next but if I can, I want to keep this one as well because of the nimbleness and torque for stop and go in town riding

Couldn't have said it better myself!  Dreygun is right on the money!

• Like 1