Can I replace my cheap Hoverboard battery with a Samsung battery?

Josh

My hoverboard just came in the mail a few weeks ago and just as it arrived I had seen news posts on them exploding. So instinctively I did some research. Come to find out the board I bought was not certified and the battery/charger weren't certified/safe either. So I went onto Amazon to find replacement battery and charger. Here's the Samsung certified battery I found: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Replacement-Battery-Self-balancing-Electric/dp/B015D2AV7G/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1450329671&sr=1-6&keywords=hoverboard+samsung+battery

Here's the certified charger I found: http://www.amazon.com/EcooTech-Universal-Balancing-Scooters-Drifting/dp/B017W90C86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450329557&sr=8-2&keywords=self+smart+balance+board

And the board that I have is this one:  http://g03.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1NPDiKFXXXXcAXFXXq6xXFXXX5/Siezend-New-Design-Products-Skywalker-Board-2.jpg except its not certified and its unbranded.

Would replacing the battery on this be safe and would it be effective? Also the voltage on the battery is 36V 4.4Ah and the adapter/charger OUTPUT is 42V 1.5Ah w/ 100-200V charging requirement (In the product desc. it says 24V, would that also affect/ruin the battery if its too little?). Would that affect the safety/charging rate of the board/battery? One more question, is there a difference between female and male chargers (serious question)? Sorry for how many questions there are but can someone that is educated on technology please reply and answer ALL the questions they can? I don't want opinions I want facts.

17 minutes ago, playdad said:

Fact: Review on the Amazon site using your link says it's NOT a real Samsung battery. :unsure:

Thanks dude. Ill find another one and edit the post. <_<

@playdad Also would you happen to know how I can tell if its a legit Samsung/name brand battery w/o having it explode on me to find out its cheap?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the deal with the whole Samsung and LG battery stuff people are always wondering about. First off brand doesn't really matter that much period, it's how the battery is wired. Most batteries have all 12 cells wired together or blocks of 4 wired together with metal brackets. This is a fire risk as some cells overcharge and some undercharge which is bad for the bateries health and also a fire hazard. Each battery cell should have it's own white wire going to it. As far as Samsung battery, very few real ones are out there many people just slap a sticker on there and know you'll never open it up. The true Samsung cells are like the ones from ecigs and vapes. It's a purple battery cell and has like dot pritning on it saying Samsung. There is no such thing as a samsung or lg hoverboard battery though those who put them together with the computer board attached may use Samsung cells. I would say out of all the supposed Samsung batteries out there maybe 10% actually are

We have batteries with authentic Samsung cells and also which are wired and put together properly. We don't currently have them listed on our website as we have a limited invenotry of batteries at the moment and are waiting on a shipment but we do still have some. Feel free to check out our website or email us and we can get you an authentic Samsung battery. Probably in about 30 days we have a shipment of 100 comming in and will have a consistant supply on our site. Hoverboardscooterparts.com

• 3 weeks later...

I've posted this link in a few threads about detecting real/fake Samsung cells:

http://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-wholesale-battery-reviews/30828867-is-it-a-fake-18650-battery-featuring-the-samsung-25r

It's pretty hard to tell for sure unless you disassemble the pack, and I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you are having problems. As for being able to tell whether it's wired correctly, you would need to look at all those red and white wires inside the pack to see how they're connected to the batteries and the battery management system (BMS) which again would require disassembly of the pack and you'd need to know a bit about how the BMS wiring worked.

What is your main concern? Are you looking to fix a problem, or just trying to avoid some issue in the future like a battery fire?

22 hours ago, dmethvin said:

I've posted this link in a few threads about detecting real/fake Samsung cells:

http://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-wholesale-battery-reviews/30828867-is-it-a-fake-18650-battery-featuring-the-samsung-25r

It's pretty hard to tell for sure unless you disassemble the pack, and I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you are having problems. As for being able to tell whether it's wired correctly, you would need to look at all those red and white wires inside the pack to see how they're connected to the batteries and the battery management system (BMS) which again would require disassembly of the pack and you'd need to know a bit about how the BMS wiring worked.

What is your main concern? Are you looking to fix a problem, or just trying to avoid some issue in the future like a battery fire?

No problem at all. I just wanted to make sure I don't lose my house :) Also, do these scooters automatically balance charge? Do I have to fully charge every time just to balance the cells?

11 minutes ago, tonyastro said:

Also, do these scooters automatically balance charge? Do I have to fully charge every time just to balance the cells?

It won't be able to balance unless you fully charge. However, if all the cells are the same type/brand/age and in pretty good shape they shouldn't be too unbalanced. I often top up my EUC several times before I do a full charge and haven't had any problem with that. Still, I don't leave it alone while charging and unplug the charger once it's done.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived