Battery mod

Staxkz5z6

Best bet is speaking to Daniel at EUC Service. They do a few upgrade kits, although you may need to send your wheel to them (Poland). I can vouch for their quality of build.

There used to be some kits on Ali Express, but I haven't looked for a while. Some of the build quality can be shady too though...

That's an awful lot of modding for just a mere 450Wh. A 1800Wh wheel is pretty much packed full, isn't it? You can only add multiples of 24 cells for 100V. I bet that's where the 450Wh difference comes from.

How about a sherman 3200Wh?

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, alcatraz said:

How about a sherman 3200Wh?

Of course I want more range, but the additional weight is also a downside. If there had been a little more space in the MSP, I would have opted for 2700wh, but even if you remove the speaker, the space is not enough.  

Not only 450wh more, but also more battery continues power available. Longer higher speed possible and less voltage drop (less faceplant danger). Furthermore, now 9A fast charging also means a lower charge rate (C-rate) for the inferior LG cells. Before 0.45C, now 0.36C which is almost the normal C-rate of 0.3C.

50-60 km range with 50km/h+ aggressive riding is actually sufficient as soon as this crappy Corona situation is over and everywhere restaurants and cafes are open again where I can recharge with 9A during a short break. 

I was a little worried whether it really tends to wobble under heavy braking due to the uneven battery weight distribution, as Wrong Way had said in his MMS review. But fortunately I can not confirm this, it rides and brakes perfectly as always. 

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Of course I want more range, but the additional weight is also a downside. If there had been a little more space in the MSP, I would have opted for 2700wh, but even if you remove the speaker, the space is not enough.  

Not only are 450wh more, but also more battery continues power available. Longer higher speed possible and less voltage drop (less faceplant danger). Furthermore, now 9A fast charging also means a lower charge rate (C-rate) for the inferior LG cells. Before 0.45C, now 0.36C which is almost the normal C-rate of 0.3C.

50-60 km range with 50km/h+ aggressive riding is actually sufficient as soon as this crappy Corona situation is over and everywhere restaurants and cafes are open again where I can recharge with 9A during a short break. 

I was a little worried whether it really tends to wobble under heavy braking due to the uneven battery weight distribution, as Wrong Way had said in his MMS review. But fortunately I can not confirm this, it rides and brakes perfectly as always. 

Good point, so many parameters to count in. So now you have original LG pack from Gotway, Smart BMS from 1Rattverkstat, 450Wh Samsung add-on from Poland. Who's in charge if things go wrong? In the light of latest battery fires, I rather stay away from any battery modding.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:11 AM, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

MSP HT 2250wh 

21700 Samsung 50E cells 

Wheel weight: 27.9 kg with heavier tire, but lighter Nylonove pedals. 

20210115-181354-01.jpg

Where did you get the battery packs for this 

23 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Not only 450wh more, but also more battery continues power available. Longer higher speed possible and less voltage drop (less faceplant danger). Furthermore, now 9A fast charging also means a lower charge rate (C-rate) for the inferior LG cells. Before 0.45C, now 0.36C which is almost the normal C-rate of 0.3C.

Where can i order this setup of battery packs and connections 

1 hour ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Not sure if they sell just the battery packs for self installation. I had send my wheel to them. 

www.1radwerkstatt.de

Dam how much was the cost for everything and how long did it take

55 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

After 5 business days it was finished. 9 days including shipping in and out. Because of the price better ask yourself, maybe it is now different after they know how much time it took. :)

Was shipping expensive

41 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

No, shipping was very very cheap because we both are located in Germany. 

Oh nevermind cost and wait time will be too long

42 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

No, shipping was very very cheap because we both are located in Germany. 

Did you see a big difference in miles and speed 

13 hours ago, Staxkz5z6 said:

Did you see a big difference in miles and speed 

I've only ridden once and unfortunately it was minus 3°C, so I can't make an accurate comparison yet.
The rides before were mostly at much warmer temperatures.
I have a special 50km offroad tour with many high speed tracks that I ride frequently. This route I can never ride at my limit even in warm weather because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get home.
This time I drove the entire route very aggressively at my limit and arrived at home with 5-10% more remaining capacity despite the cold. I also noticed that the 80% Gotway motor power alarm now does not sound first, but the speed alarm in EUC World. Normally I have it configured so that the EUC World Speed alarm sounds about 3-5 km/h after the Gotway 80% alarm.

Purely theoretically 450wh extra means 25% more range for me under the same riding conditions and temperatures. With my previous riding style it was 50km and should now be 62.5km. You don't have to test that, it's true. Less voltage drop due to 24S5P instead of 24S4P also means more speed over a longer period and less danger of faceplant due to battery overload. The only question that remains is whether cost and weight are worth it. I can answer the question for me at least with a clear YES. :thumbup:

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 6:31 AM, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I've only ridden once and unfortunately it was minus 3°C, so I can't make an accurate comparison yet.
The rides before were mostly at much warmer temperatures.
I have a special 50km offroad tour with many high speed tracks that I ride frequently. This route I can never ride at my limit even in warm weather because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get home.
This time I drove the entire route very aggressively at my limit and arrived at home with 5-10% more remaining capacity despite the cold. I also noticed that the 80% Gotway motor power alarm now does not sound first, but the speed alarm in EUC World. Normally I have it configured so that the EUC World Speed alarm sounds about 3-5 km/h after the Gotway 80% alarm.

Purely theoretically 450wh extra means 25% more range for me under the same riding conditions and temperatures. With my previous riding style it was 50km and should now be 62.5km. You don't have to test that, it's true. Less voltage drop due to 24S5P instead of 24S4P also means more speed over a longer period and less danger of faceplant due to battery overload. The only question that remains is whether cost and weight are worth it. I can answer the question for me at least with a clear YES. :thumbup:

Of course still lighter than most euc's and you have very good range and still good speeds cant ask for more. I actually have a battery builder here who did another battery mod for me once he said he can make it for me.

• Like 1

The cells don't cost much. It comes to finding the work power that also can guarantee the quality of the job.

I have all the tools from a V8 battery mod I did years ago. Panasonic 21700-5000mAh cells cost like 1usd a piece in China (and perform better than samsung/lg). A 1500Wh Tesla battery would only cost like 80usd in cells, and the whole euc would weigh like 20kg.

It does take a long time to put together a custom euc battery because of the shape. I don't miss that part of the job. I never really run out of battery on my current 850Wh anyway so that also puts me off the upgrade. Dispite 850Wh being lower density, 1500Wh will weigh slightly more (1kg?) and that's annoying.

I remember getting a huge range on my V8 after upgrading. I could never really deplete that pack. My feet would hurt before that pack was depleted. :) That's something I never really anticipated when I decided to make the pack. What I'm saying is, sometimes just bringing a charger with you is easier than modding your euc. Your feet, brain and wallet will thank you. The excitement of having a new euc and wanting to ride it farther and farther will settle down one day. Then you start to weigh fun with comfort a bit more and not do crazy long rides as much. At least with me. Ironically, the weight of that monstrous battery mod needs to be carried regardless of your change in lifestyle and that sucks. The value of modded machines goes down too. It's fun though.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

A charger I have actually always with me, but because of Corona Lockdown the restaurants are constantly closed where you could recharge the battery with 9A after 3-4 hours riding.Unfortunately, my battery is now completely empty after 80-90 minutes riding and I can not eat or drink so much when I want to ride around a day. :efee612b4b: 

On 1/21/2021 at 12:32 AM, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

A charger I have actually always with me, but because of Corona Lockdown the restaurants are constantly closed where you could recharge the battery with 9A after 3-4 hours riding.Unfortunately, my battery is now completely empty after 80-90 minutes riding and I can not eat or drink so much when I want to ride around a day. :efee612b4b: 

How long is it take to charge up now if yiu are using 3amps