Sherman delivers a good punch

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. The possibility of the heavy solid wheel giving you a good punch. I've been hit many times by the wheel but it's usually inconsequential. Just a glancing blow with minimal shock. But I always had the thought in the back of my mind that if it were to give you a good solid punch, it would really suck. Well now it happened. The blunt force impact occurred almost right on my achilles tendon. But I think it was lucky that the blow was concentrated just away from that tendon.
I was wearing tennis style shoes. They are comfortable but don't offer any protection against these kinds of impacts. My foot was impacted through the shoe with enough force to open up a large deep wound.
It still hurts to walk after almost a week. I have a bit of a limp. But there's no pain when I'm resting. And I can still ride my Sherman with minimal pain. Just gotta ride it gently.
Riding it to the radiologist today actually to get my foot x-ray done. I don't think anything is broken but I'll update on it.

So after this happened I went to a motorcycle shop to get some armored boots. Most of the boots there are excessively large. But I found a pair that I thought would be good. After riding with them I realized that they felt totally wrong. Way too thick. Meaning you couldn't feel the pedals and on top of that it would displace your feet away from the EUC due to the thick armor on the sides of the boots. It felt dangerous.

Then after talking to a fellow EUC rider about it they suggested tactical boots. They told me that they tried those and they work great. Offering a good balance of flexibility and impact protection.

I'm gonna get myself some tactical boots and see how they feel.

I gotta say though, this foot injury was a bit of a freak accident. I don't think it's very likely to happen. Usually it just slaps your foot and nothing happens.

IMG_20201229_173211 - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

ouch, looks like you totalled Filla'd that one. Damn, what speed were you going? 80lbs is 80lbs i guess. Hopefulyl good news at the doc, but I'd imagine its a tad late now aint it? Gruesome for sure! Let us know how the boots go. Im a skate shoes guy, so I'd imagine my time is coming...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

ouch, looks like you totalled Filla'd that one. Damn, what speed were you going? 80lbs is 80lbs i guess. Hopefulyl good news at the doc, but I'd imagine its a tad late now aint it? Gruesome for sure! Let us know how the boots go. Im a skate shoes guy, so I'd imagine my time is coming...

I was only going about 18 MPH but I think this was a major part of the equation.
The way it happened is that I hit the ground running. Whenever you run your foot is travelling at 0 MPH for a brief moment while it contacts the ground. So while my foot was at 0 MPH the 18 MPH 80 lb wheel hit it square on. Kind of like a giant hammer.

I've had faster accidents where it just glances your foot (or other part of your body) and nothing happens since you don't hit the ground running.
But even when you do hit the ground running, it's not likely to do this to your foot. This was just really unlucky where everything had to line up just right and it needed the perfect timing in order for it to happen. Just the fact that the wheel caught up to me was bizarre. Usually it will tumble off to the side. But the fact it kept going straight, caught up, then delivered a perfect punch.....man that's gotta be improbable

I wouldn't be too worried about this happening. So I'd say you're quite safe in your skate shoes. But I'm gonna be riding super carefully until my foot heals. And I'll probably still look at some tactical boots. Just to give them a try at least.

20 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Hopefulyl good news at the doc, but I'd imagine its a tad late now aint it?

It happened like 6 days ago so yeah pretty late. I just want to rule out the possibility of any fractures. I already saw the doc. But just now I'm getting the X-ray. I was pretty lucky actually. The pain hasn't been too bad. If it was then I would've treated it with a lot more urgency. Probably would've gone to the ER. Looked bad at the time. Red sock. Shoe full of blood. I sprayed alcohol on the wound to keep it clean though and it turned out good.

Edited by UniGrad
  • Like 1

Stories from a tough SOB! THanks for the share. Yeah, I've been there too. Accidents are common but the precision in how it happened, makes it pretty gnarly. I bet you were cussing like a sailor, I know I would have been! Im not sure I can even hit the ground running at 18mph, you must have some legs on you! I tried work boots in the past. My ankles and wrists have been a weak spot in so many past skateboarding accidents, its not funny. However, I just wasnt having any luck out of the boots. I'm sure its something I couldlearn to do, but hearing you tell me that its low odds and at 18mph, eases my mind a litle bit. I guess the next challenge is to get some frame sliders and see if you can uhum.... find a warm spot to bury those...

Perhaps YOU are the first victim of being run over by a sherman. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll have someone pop in and tell us all about how dangerous it would be for a child at 40mph:popcorn:. So its been a week and you can lightly ride already? I dunno if I'd mention that to the doc..

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Dude that looks like it needs stitches. It looks like a laceration that is separated over a cm in its widest portion with deep tissue exposed. Unless its a bad picture and that’s just an overlying clot that I’m seeing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

So its been a week and you can lightly ride already? I dunno if I'd mention that to the doc..

Yeah I didn't mention anything to the doc about riding. But I did go to my X-ray appointment today on the Sherman. Missed my last appointment because I forgot to bring my papers. I told the radiologists that the Sherman helps me move around with my bad foot. They were pretty interested to hear about it.

I can ride but my foot gets tired pretty quickly. I can ride gently for like 40 minutes at a time followed by short a break. But the more I ride the more my foot hurts. It hurts even more if I need to walk long distances. If I rest the pain goes away almost entirely.

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

the precision in how it happened, makes it pretty gnarly

That's true. Like a solid precise punch. But I think I was lucky with the precise placement of the impact. If it was an inch in any other direction I think I would be on crutches for a little while and in much more pain.

7 hours ago, shellac said:

Dude that looks like it needs stitches. It looks like a laceration that is separated over a cm in its widest portion with deep tissue exposed. Unless its a bad picture and that’s just an overlying clot that I’m seeing. 

Yeah it looked kind of gory at the time but I think it was just squashed skin from the impact. It was rather deep but I couldn't see bone or tendons or anything like that so not super deep. I was thinking it might need stitches when it happened. But I decided not to go to the ER and just book a doctor's appointment. I had to wait like 4 days to see the doctor because it was during the Christmas and new year period. By the time I saw the doctor there was a scab forming and he said it looks okay. I had kept the wound clean with alcohol. Here's a photo of it now. Maybe someone can give me a 2nd opinion. I think it's okay though.

IMG_20210105_194037.jpg

Edited by UniGrad
  • Like 1

I think its too late to bother asking us what we think. Its healing and thats that. The time for stitches and excessive action has passed. Chicks digs scars, hero's never die! If it makes you feel any better, I wont go to a doc unless big parts are falling out, its dangling very badly, or it wont stop bleeding profusely within 20minutes. Its an hour+ to a hospital out here. WE pour alcohol on it, grab some duct tape or superglue and grab wahtever pain med we have laying around. Hospitals only prescribe ibuprofen, so I suggest having a stash of goodies for next time. Fwiw, if next time you think something is broken and not setting right, yuo better not wait, as rebreaks are no fun at all!

My old farmer neighbor lost half his index finger at 10am in the field and after some rags and alcohol, was back to work within the hour. Tough sob, he likes to point with the nub!:efef927839: Moonshine is multipurpose! My wife claims that rubbing alcohol EATS flesh and iodine is better. Hell I dunno, but iodine tastes bad and stains your teeth.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

It doesn’t look as bad in the second picture. I probably would have stitched or steristripped it soon after, but not 4 days later, as you can cause an infection then. It seems to be coming along fine anyhow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I think its too late to bother asking us what we think. Its healing and thats that. The time for stitches and excessive action has passed. Chicks digs scars, hero's never die! If it makes you feel any better, I wont go to a doc unless big parts are falling out, its dangling very badly, or it wont stop bleeding profusely within 20minutes. Its an hour+ to a hospital out here. WE pour alcohol on it, grab some duct tape or superglue and grab wahtever pain med we have laying around. Hospitals only prescribe ibuprofen, so I suggest having a stash of goodies for next time. Fwiw, if next time you think something is broken and not setting right, yuo better not wait, as rebreaks are no fun at all!

My old farmer neighbor lost half his index finger at 10am in the field and after some rags and alcohol, was back to work within the hour. Tough sob, he likes to point with the nub!:efef927839: Moonshine is multipurpose! My wife claims that rubbing alcohol EATS flesh and iodine is better. Hell I dunno, but iodine tastes bad and stains your teeth.

Cannabis is my med of choice. It did a fine job with that foot pain too. Yeah I hate hospitals too. Avoid them at all costs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nycommuter69 said:

Whoa.. lucky, I think it barely missed your achilles tendon. I was not so fortunate. 

Damn bro! How would they not even think to check for that shit when you first went for the stitches? Was the doc an ex chinese euc worker? Which wheel was it that tried to take your foot? I'm also wondering if taller foot protection would really help with this? Higher pedals make it worse/better? This crap REALLY scares me, as its something I've not encountered in the past. At least you got some pain meds and not the standard ibuprofen and lecture. My $.02... smoke em if you got em. Itll dull pain and ease nausea. Probably easier to find than getting a doc to prescribe you more pills designed for this very thing.

Best wishes on recovery. Do you intend to try and ride again, or was that enough to make you move on to other things? Of course this is assuming you heal enough to even have that choice.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

5 minutes ago, nycommuter69 said:

hahah. CityMD doctors, so YouTube certified credentials. Thankfully, the tendon is fully healed now. It's now 14 weeks POSTOP. I started riding again 4 weeks ago. I was not into the pain meds, used maybe two pills and that was it. It was a painfree ordeal for me, thank god. 

I ride with a pair of Moto riding boots these days. https://www.instagram.com/p/CF978Ros92y/?igshid=trh6mp364lh5

thats wonderful news! Everytime I read about other people's misfortune, I simply cannot understand how I've made it this long without my own. What wheel was it that bit you? DO you recall how much the bill was for this ordeal? Im guessing around $6-8k minimum. I shudder to think how quickly my savings would be gone, over something like this.

How you like the shoes/boots? My last pair of kmart shoes just ate my last tube of shoe goo, so Im gna need soon. I've NEVER been able to get along with steel toe or heavy footwear. What the consensus on yours, are they heavy like work boots, or similar to a pair of vans?

-Sorry bout the derail guys, but hell, is it anything new?!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

thats wonderful news! Everytime I read about other people's misfortune, I simply cannot understand how I've made it this long without my own. What wheel was it that bit you? DO you recall how much the bill was for this ordeal? Im guessing around $6-8k minimum. I shudder to think how quickly my savings would be gone, over something like this.

The wonderful S18. Medical bill wasn't too bad if you have insurance haha. It was about the price of a S18. Insurance and lawsuits will get ya. 

Edited by nycommuter69
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

kmart shoes

Blast from the past! We used to call those “shoe substitutes” and bought them 6 pairs at a go I think they were 3 or 4USD a pair and lasted a few months. By then they were not even worthy of shoe goop.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Blast from the past! We used to call those “shoe substitutes” and bought them 6 pairs at a go I think they were 3 or 4USD a pair and lasted a few months. By then they were not even worthy of shoe goop.

hell, theyre made from slave labor, just like the name brands. May as well underpay the owners for cheap crap. I buy 3-4 pair at a time as well. Sadly, this last batch fell apart before the rubber wore off. Either they quit using glue and started using hopes and dreams, or the euc has made me walk so little and flex the shoes so much... they'd never wear the soles out.

Needing new shoes anyhow, I may do the unthinkable and pay more for slave labor boots and even wear them. I tried wearing work boots on my euc in the beginning. Couldnt feel the pedals for shit, was a pretty bad scenario all around.My younger self would be so pissed off at how much I've already spent on dumb ass 'safety' gear. I miss my ignorant invincibility so damn much..

Edited by ShanesPlanet

3 hours ago, nycommuter69 said:

Whoa.. lucky, I think it barely missed your achilles tendon. I was not so fortunate. 

Ohhh man. Now I can actually see how lucky I was with the placement of the impact. If it was at the back like with yours it would've been the same thing. So sorry to hear about that injury man. So unlucky. It's extremely improbable that the wheel strikes you with any amount of force. I've been hit dozens of times by the wheel when I come off trying to drift and nearly every time it just slaps you without consequence. And the majority of the time the wheel doesn't even hit you at all. It goes off to the side. The chances of it hitting you are fairly low. And the chances of that hit being a solid blow is even lower. It takes a high level of precision like a "good punch" in order to deliver a devastating blow. Everything needs to line up just right for it to happen.

Mine was very unlucky too but thankfully I had good luck with the placement of the blow. You had extremely bad luck where EVERYTHING lined up against you.
I'm gonna say that's a 1 in a million occurrence.
I'm really glad to hear that you're back up and riding. Glad to hear that you have some shoes that protect against the same thing happening again. Even though it probably never would.

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

How you like the shoes/boots? My last pair of kmart shoes just ate my last tube of shoe goo, so Im gna need soon. I've NEVER been able to get along with steel toe or heavy footwear. What the consensus on yours, are they heavy like work boots, or similar to a pair of vans?

-Sorry bout the derail guys, but hell, is it anything new?!

No derail. Shoes & Boots is what it's all about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bongaloid said:

I was just pondering yesterday what kind of impact clarkpads would have in a fall/crash. But I'm guessing you didn't have anything locking you in on your Sherman? How about @nycommuter69and your S18?

I didn't have any pads on my Sherman. Completely bare. I hate the stock pads so I removed them but I've been thinking of getting some aftermarket ones like the clark pads.

I think that having pads might reduce the chances of this happening. Because it would make it harder to fall straight off the front and have the EUC still moving in a straight line behind you (nipping at your heels). It would be more likely that you'd catch one of your legs on one of the pads and disrupt the straight line motion of the EUC preventing it from hitting you from behind.

clark pads...hmm. If this kind of accident is VERY rare, we would have to consider if adding clark pads would increase the risk elsewhere. I have zero idea, but I would guess that being stuck to the wheel could have its own set of consequences. Probably more of a face meets pavement than a feet first in some cases. Only one way to find out...

1 hour ago, UniGrad said:

I didn't have any pads on my Sherman. Completely bare. I hate the stock pads so I removed them but I've been thinking of getting some aftermarket ones like the clark pads.

I think that having pads might reduce the chances of this happening. Because it would make it harder to fall straight off the front and have the EUC still moving in a straight line behind you (nipping at your heels). It would be more likely that you'd catch one of your legs on one of the pads and disrupt the straight line motion of the EUC preventing it from hitting you from behind.

Or maybe just a breakaway tether to the wheel, which would knock it over when pulled. I know it’s been discussed on here before. 

• 4 weeks later...